Where's the nearest supermarket?

Guest The Morleys

Guest The Morleys

We arrived in Adelaide this morning, We are staying in Sheidow Park of 2 weeks, Went to Woolworths which was about 15 minutes drive away and cost us $305. Just wondered if there was a supermarket closer and if there is anywhere cheaper than Woolworths to do the weekly grocery shop?

Also where is the best place to buy mobile phones, Furniture, Microwave, House Phone, Printer ?

Thanks very much

Nina

x

Guest kangomik

your first big shops will cost, till you get set up.....takes over a year !

Not from that neck of the woods, so cannot help further, but some one will be able to help soon

Wow, that's some shop! Did you go to Hallett Cove Woolworths? There is also a Foodland at Hallett Cove mall but I don't think there is much difference in the long run. You are near to O'Halloran Hill fruit mart (Main South Rd) which had good prices on fruit and veg. To be honest you probably need to just get a feel for 'good prices' - which only comes with time.

We just bought a microwave in Target (Westfield Marion shopping centre - Sturt Rd/ Marion Rd) for $75 and there are a few on sale at the moment. We bought a phone on Ebay and bought our mobiles with us so can't help there. Hope you are coping with the heat - these first few weeks are crazy but its all good fun - enjoy it :-)

i do my shopping at woolies...we do big shopping like every 2-3 weeks depends on our stock...we buy this big slab of meat and just cut in sizes we recquire and stock them in the freezer...goodguys sometimes cheap to bu electronics etc..i also go to sunday market /farmer's market to buy some veggies...as you can get it there cheaper than the supermarket ones..and some fruits too..i got down gepps cross sunday market...although we live at seaford ....we've been here for 6 months now...

Yes,it's a shock at first,no doubt about that,but you will get"Savvy" as time goes on,we all do,and did,the old survival instinct kicks in.Before you know it,you'll be down on the beach,loving it and wondering why you worried so much.It's good here,just takes time to adjust.ATB Sue.

Central market in Adelaide is worth checking out too - you'll have to go into the City at some point to sort out TFN and banking stuff I guess, so you can check it out then. It's shut on Mondays though. Prices are hugely lower there than in the supermarket - particularly for things like cheese, apples, and mushrooms!! Don't forget to take your own bags with you as well. You'll soon build up a stock of "green" bags (of all colours!)

I find Foodland is the best of all the supermarkets, as they sell mainly South Australian meats etc. You will need to get into the habit of shopping a little differently too - things like toiletries and shampoo etc are cheaper in discount stores (such as Cunninghams, Sam's Warehouse, Cheap as Chips etc), meats are usually a bit cheaper from butchers, and fruit and veg cheaper from greengrocers. Look out for special deals on breads (buy 2 for $5 for instance) or shop towards the end of the day when things are reduced. Buy own brand milk, butter. Buy veg and fruit that are in season. Don't try and replicate the exact same things you'd have bought in the UK - ready made meals (where you can find them) and imported brands are a lot more expensive.

Each week the various stores do a brochure that will be delivered to you as junk mail (unless you have a no junk mail sticker!) - take the time to browse through those and see what's on special where, and shop accordingly!

As Mik says though, it does take a long time to restock your cupboards with all those useful things again, you may just have to bite the bullet!

Oh, and welcome to Adelaide!!

Guest kangomik

Tinned Pies cost a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes time for people to find their feet........... it took us 12 months! there is no cheap fix.

If you want to visit and have a BBQ PM me, happy to chat

We arrived in Adelaide this morning, We are staying in Sheidow Park of 2 weeks, Went to Woolworths which was about 15 minutes drive away and cost us $305. Just wondered if there was a supermarket closer and if there is anywhere cheaper than Woolworths to do the weekly grocery shop?

Also where is the best place to buy mobile phones, Furniture, Microwave, House Phone, Printer ?

Thanks very much

Nina

x

As Diane says, look for the offers - 'specials'. They are always advertised in the junk mail. Unlike the UK, many people read the junk mail and check for bargains.

I know someone who only buys things on special!

Welcome, Haggle, JB Hifi, Good Guys, Le Cornu - check some of these out for your other items.

Cooler

Colonades has a little more choice, which is about 15 min away from where you guys are stopping. Travel South towards Port Noarlunga I think its sign posted...

When all gets too much call in at the Deep Blue cafe in Moana and have a flat white.. If you get served by an English lad, Its are spawn so say hello..

Shopping cost here is some what hard to swallow. You will find the cheaper places, so the other half tells me..

Mobile phones - try Target, Big W or KMart. Microwave, try the Good Guys (haggle if you're paying cash). Furniture - depends what you want, try Ikea or Le Cornu for cheap and cheerful, Nick Scali for nice stuff. House phone and printer, try Harvey Norman - there's a huge store at Gepps Cross, but maybe one nearer to you too (have a feeling there's one at Marion?)

HTH

Foodland, coles and woolies all about the same price wise although some will dispute this howvever it depends what you need really. We always check the leaflets each week and see whom has the best offers on what we need. We have found that over here you often have to go the butchers for meat, grocery store for fruit and veg to get the best price/quality produce unlike the UK where you could get everything in one place such as ASDA. Often the supermarkets own brand produce is just as good as the named stuff. You will get there and I certainly agree with the others first few shops will cost a fortune. Good luck and if you need any further advise don't hesitate.

Kris