Catasrophic Fire Warning 11/01/10

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

I should have posted this yesterday but here goes.

Today (11/01/10) is a Catastrophic Fire Rating Day for all of Adelaide .

Take this seriously and be prepared "It will never happen to me will not wash here - remember the Victorian bsuh fires last year.

Please be aware that these days are very important and be prepared to be away from the affected areas or ready to leave.

I'll not advise what to do - please read details on the CFS web site below.

We are ready to leave at short notice here.

A good idea is to keep an eye on the Current incidents page o the CFS site - be aware that ember attack on windy days is a real threat from up to 10 kilometres away.

Hot and windy days from the North are the worst for fire risk.

CFS Home page - http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home.jsp

CFS Fire rating page - http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_restrictions/fire_bans.jsp

CFS Current incidents - http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/news_media/current_incidents.jsp

Keep safe :):)

Hi

We heard the CFS alarm about 3.30pm and can smell the smoke, its getting stronger. Just waiting now but 2 neighbours have left already ! Im in Mclaren Flat so hopefully it will be contained soon.

CFS have issued this for Onkaparinga Hills.

BUSHFIRE WATCH AND ACT MESSAGE

Time Message Issued: 15:27

Date Message Issued: 11/01/2010

CFS advises that a bushfire at Onkaparinga Hills near States & Piggott Range Roads may threaten your safety.

The ONKAPARINGA HILLS fire is travelling in a SOUTH EASTERLY direction towards Chappel Hill Road.

Smoke, flames and burning embers may threaten your safety and your property.

If you don't have a Bushfire Survival Plan or your plan is to leave - leaving now may be your safest option.

Well constructed, well prepared homes may be defended. If you plan to stay, you should activate your Bushfire Survival Plan now.

Guest Guest5035

when people live in these areas why don't they have a diesel generator coupled to a big water tank, coupled to sprinklers around the house and on the roof. So if and when a fire is approaching and about to engulf your prized posession, turn it all on and theres a strong chance it'll still be there a soon as the danger has passed by.

Stevo

Guest Im Here

Just watching local news about the fire in Onkaparinga and it's still burning. Anyone in the area is advised to either get out or start their bush fire plan.

Hope everyone keeps safe

Update and also announced on the radio - now out of control !

<Message Starts>

EMERGENCY WARNING FOR A BUSHFIRE BURNING UNDER SEVERE OR EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS

Time Message Issued: 17:29

CFS advises that a serious bushfire is burning out of control at Onkaparinga Gorge, South of Adelaide near Gates and Piggott Range Road.

The ONKAPARINGA HILLS fire is travelling in a SOUTH EASTERLY direction towards Chapel Hill Road.

If you don’t have a Bushfire Survival Plan or your plan is to leave – leaving now may be your safest option. Only leave if the path is clear to a safe place

Guest Im Here

i was just about to post the above. It's very scary to know it's out of control if anyone needs accomodation for the night we have 3 spare beds going but we can't take pets sorry as we have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Guest Guest75

Looks like we are safe at the moment as we are north of it.

Still very worried though:sad::sad: - that's putting it politely.

If any one really does get into trouble let me know - might have some spare room.

I bet you are - keep safe.

Looks like we are safe at the moment as we are north of it.

Still very worried though:sad::sad: - that's putting it politely.

If any one really does get into trouble let me know - might have some spare room.

Latest update

Time Message Issued: 19:27

CFS ADVISES THAT CONTROLLED BURNING ACTIVITIES ARE CURRENTLY BEING UNDERTAKEN IN THE ONKAPARINGA GORGE AT ONKAPARINGA HILLS TO ASSIST IN CONTAINING THE FIRE STILL BURNING IN THIS AREA. RESIDENTS ARE ADVISED THAT SMOKE AND FLAMES MAY BE VISIBLE IN THIS AREA. RESIDENTS ARE REMINDED TO CONTINUE IMPLEMENTING THEIR BUSHFIRE SURVIVAL PLAN. YOU SHOULD NOT ENTER THIS AREA AS THE ROADS MAY NOT BE SAFE.

Guest Guest5035

One extreme to another, 43oc here yesterday, this morning absolutely pissed it down, my gutters are clean but they couldn't cope, so all overflowing.

They said last night odd shower, ....well tickle my t**s.... odd shower, it was a monsoon, to top it all i watered the garden last night!!

Stevo

Guest Im Here
One extreme to another, 43oc here yesterday, this morning absolutely pissed it down, my gutters are clean but they couldn't cope, so all overflowing.

They said last night odd shower, ....well tickle my tits.... odd shower, it was a monsoon, to top it all i watered the garden last night!!

Stevo

LOL Stevo we watered our flowers as well last night they looked dead (most probably are now) :arghh: . We should of known it was going to rain as it always does after we water them.