Need somewhere to rent - But not got References!

Guest The Morleys

Guest The Morleys

Hi,

We arrived in Adelaide on Friday, spent the weekend finding our feet and recovering from jet lag then started the search for a house to rent this morning. We are looking for either a 3 or 4 bed in Sheidow Park, Hallet Cove, Flagstaff Hill, and surrounding areas and are looking to pay $300 -350 per week. We went to look at one today and it was just awful - think we have been a bit spoilt at the moment as we are staying in a fantastic new 4 bed holiday home in Sheidow Park for 2 weeks which is well beyond our budget long term - but surely there must be something at least in a livable condition within our price range. The other concern we have is the rental application form you have to complete, it asks for references from previous land lords, but we have always owned our own home and have never rented before - I am really concerned that as we only have 2 weeks to find a place and we have no references we are really going to struggle.

I just wondered if anyone has or knows of someone who has a house for rent in or near to Sheidow Park? or within 30 minutes drive from the City? I am a nurse and have a reasonably well paid job at the R.A.H and my husband is a plumber and a plasterer so he will also be earning well eventually. Although we have not got references from landlords we have got an excellent credit history and I'm sure I could get several good character references!

Thanks very much

Nina

most agents are not worried.the fact you have just been given a visa means your of good character.the only thing they might want to see is a bank statement to show you have some funds.good luck.plenty of dumps out there for rent.also have a look around places like Happy Valley ,Reynella and Woodcroft.not far from you.nice established areas.

Hi,

We arrived in Adelaide on Friday, spent the weekend finding our feet and recovering from jet lag then started the search for a house to rent this morning. We are looking for either a 3 or 4 bed in Sheidow Park, Hallet Cove, Flagstaff Hill, and surrounding areas and are looking to pay $300 -350 per week. We went to look at one today and it was just awful - think we have been a bit spoilt at the moment as we are staying in a fantastic new 4 bed holiday home in Sheidow Park for 2 weeks which is well beyond our budget long term - but surely there must be something at least in a livable condition within our price range. The other concern we have is the rental application form you have to complete, it asks for references from previous land lords, but we have always owned our own home and have never rented before - I am really concerned that as we only have 2 weeks to find a place and we have no references we are really going to struggle.

I just wondered if anyone has or knows of someone who has a house for rent in or near to Sheidow Park? or within 30 minutes drive from the City? I am a nurse and have a reasonably well paid job at the R.A.H and my husband is a plumber and a plasterer so he will also be earning well eventually. Although we have not got references from landlords we have got an excellent credit history and I'm sure I could get several good character references!

Thanks very much

Nina

Might be worth removing your mobile number.

The two previous posters have similar experience to ourselves. I'd just add that it's worth checking for a private landlord, so check the advertiser.

Good luck,

Cooler

Guest angiestaff
Hi,

Thanks very much

Nina

Hi nina

i was in the same position as you, the estate agent was willing to contact my boss at the lyell mcewin hospital to confirm that i was employed, they also had a copy of my contract. we only paid a few weeks rent in advance and the bond.

good luck, ange x

Hi there, we also provided our own kind of reference. Typed up a bit of and introduction to our family. Introduced ourselves, explained why we had come over to Australia and what we hoped to do, gave a bit of history about our UK properties etc. Hopefully helped to give the owner some idea of who was living in their house - don't know if it helped or not but we secured the rental we wanted.

Regards, Julie

Guest cornish Busdriver

We were in the same boat as you but still secured a rental within 2 days.

The paperwork we needed was

Letter of employment

Bank statement or cash machine printout to show we had money to cover if we ever lost our jobs.

Pictures of our old house (inside and out) to show how we live, we used the estate agents handout from when we sold.

Pics of our dogs and letter from the vet about them.

Old bills from the UK

Proof of ID like driver licences, bank details, passports and visa's.

We didnt have to pay any extra bond and actually got a $20 pw reduction in the rent.

Oh yeah only give them an aussie phone number as they wont call uk mobiles.

So it is possible, dont panic to much bout it.

Guest nikki & john

Hi Nina

I was on Real Estate earlier today and noticed a really nice 4 bedroom property for rent in Sheidow Park at 5 Enginehouse Drive, its open for inspection on Friday 15th at 5pm, renting for $350. Looks nice from the pictures. Sorry I spend way to much time on this website in the job that I do!!!

I'm not a Property Manager but I was one for a wee while when needs dictated it and can tell you that as long as you are organised, present well at an open, have the 100 points of ID, maybe put together a covering letter introducing yourself and your family and explaining your situation giving them all the positive about the reason you have a visa etc and about your jobs and having owned a property for many years etc etc, if you do feel strongly about a property then you do not have to but if you can afford to then offer to pay so many months in advance that sometimes helps.

If you think I can help any give me a shout. Good luck

Nikki

Guest kangomik

If it helps any we did get a rental in Dernancourt part furnished 3 years old for $350 per week, 4 beds double garage, even came with BBQ.

ANYWAY

They are out there........ make your own reference, we had ours from the bank manager, and from renting in the UK fortunately. offer months up front if needed, but you should only need to pay 1 month in advance really.