HELP with getting a boat

Guest puff the dragon

Guest puff the dragon

Hi

I am intereted in getting a little boat for the family just to potter about in(nothing fancy)

Can anyone recommend a good starter boat that will fit about 3 and is easy to look after /launch etc

Any help also with where to look for one/where is easy to launch from south of the city and any other advice gratefully recieved.

Also I know we will require a boating licence but can we just launch anywhere or do we have to pay fees etc

many thanks:notworthy:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im also looking for a small boat at the mo, possibly a 4.2 meter tinny with a 35hp on the back so it will fit in the garage.

Price for a new set-up is around the 10K from Ray and Annes tackle and marine on Grand Junction Road if that any use but personaly im just after something cheep and chearfull that wont sink.

Guest Guest75
Hi

I am intereted in getting a little boat for the family just to potter about in(nothing fancy)

Can anyone recommend a good starter boat that will fit about 3 and is easy to look after /launch etc

Any help also with where to look for one/where is easy to launch from south of the city and any other advice gratefully recieved.

Also I know we will require a boating licence but can we just launch anywhere or do we have to pay fees etc

many thanks:notworthy:

Hiya Puff ( wish I had another name to call you !)

A great decision!

It's all going to depend on your budget really.

The bigger the better in some respects - eg ,feels safer and you will probably want to upgrade at a later stage..

I'm not saying buy the Queen Mary or anything though!

A good plate ally boat (Tinny) is a great starter, easy to launch ,cheap on fuel and can take a few knocks.

Call into all the dealers ,tell them your budget and requirements.Do not buy the first one you see,it's a buyers market at the moment to some degree (winter is even better).Listen to what the dealers tell you and pick up advice and some of the lingo.

There is one dealership south of the city that is poison ,their customer service and after sales service is shocking ( PM for details)

I boat my boat from Hodge Marine,Grange Road,mainly because they were dealers of the brand I wanted.

Buy some boating magazines ,interesting and you get a feel for prices and learn even more.Turned out to be great and highly respected by the boating community.

My regular is Trailer Boat ........... http://www.trailerboat.com.au/default.aspx

I can't recommend a brand as I'm not that familiar with Tinny's but do some research on the net ,buy one with a reputation for toughness because......

a) Your families life may depend on it.

b) Resale value will be better.

c)It'll last longer.

d) You will feel safer.

Keep an eye out on Gumtree /Boatsales sites - Do not part with any cash until you actually see the boat - people do get ripped off,I was involved in stopping one scam.

Just have a look at this quick Google search.........

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=boats+for+sale&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=boats+for+sale&fp=ea73d2b8ab96444d

Always remember what you want to use the boat for - there are some beautiful boats dripping in luxury and Walnut venner - a swine to clean after a messy fishing trip though!

Take time to sit and watch at the boat ramp at O'Sullivan's Beach Ramp.

Very interesting to see all the different boats,how to launch and retrieve and sometimes what not to do ( that was us when we started).Park above the kiosk and keep ot of the boat lanes please!

Talk to the guys down at Angler's Choice on Beach Road,Christies Beach. All have boats and are great for advice.

Have a look in the local fishing forum .Strike & Hook, lots of help and advice in there , say hello if you pop in:)

http://www.strikehook.com/

Launching at most ramps in SA incurs a fee- but you get use of safe facilities and wash down areas (Must wash engine out each time in the salt). $7.00 at O'Sullies Ramp.

Lots of ramps about.......... http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/recboatingfacilities/boat_ramp_locations

You can beach launch for free but look for the areas designated.

On Moana drive on I think it's to the right as you drive on.

Any motorised boat requires you to have a licence - fairly easy to obtain even though you have to do a test.As you are reading up on it try and remember some of the info - it will come in handy later!

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Boating+and+marine/Boat+operators,+licences+and+permits/Applying+for+a+boat+licence

On board you will have to carry specific kit , from life jackets onwards - all safety equipment.

There are inspectors about so do comply ( must remember to buy some new batteries fro my obligatory torch).

Have a look here............ http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/safety/marine/index.asp

If you see a boat locally to me ( Onk Hills) , I don't mind coming along for a look. I ain't no expert but know a little that might just save you in the long run.

Cheers

:):)

Guest puff the dragon
Hiya Puff ( wish I had another name to call you !)

A great decision!

It's all going to depend on your budget really.

The bigger the better in some respects - eg ,feels safer and you will probably want to upgrade at a later stage..

I'm not saying buy the Queen Mary or anything though!

A good plate ally boat (Tinny) is a great starter, easy to launch ,cheap on fuel and can take a few knocks.

Call into all the dealers ,tell them your budget and requirements.Do not buy the first one you see,it's a buyers market at the moment to some degree (winter is even better).Listen to what the dealers tell you and pick up advice and some of the lingo.

There is one dealership south of the city that is poison ,their customer service and after sales service is shocking ( PM for details)

I boat my boat from Hodge Marine,Grange Road,mainly because they were dealers of the brand I wanted.

Buy some boating magazines ,interesting and you get a feel for prices and learn even more.Turned out to be great and highly respected by the boating community.

My regular is Trailer Boat ........... http://www.trailerboat.com.au/default.aspx

I can't recommend a brand as I'm not that familiar with Tinny's but do some research on the net ,buy one with a reputation for toughness because......

a) Your families life may depend on it.

b) Resale value will be better.

c)It'll last longer.

d) You will feel safer.

Keep an eye out on Gumtree /Boatsales sites - Do not part with any cash until you actually see the boat - people do get ripped off,I was involved in stopping one scam.

Just have a look at this quick Google search.........

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=boats+for+sale&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=boats+for+sale&fp=ea73d2b8ab96444d

Always remember what you want to use the boat for - there are some beautiful boats dripping in luxury and Walnut venner - a swine to clean after a messy fishing trip though!

Take time to sit and watch at the boat ramp at O'Sullivan's Beach Ramp.

Very interesting to see all the different boats,how to launch and retrieve and sometimes what not to do ( that was us when we started).Park above the kiosk and keep ot of the boat lanes please!

Talk to the guys down at Angler's Choice on Beach Road,Christies Beach. All have boats and are great for advice.

Have a look in the local fishing forum .Strike & Hook, lots of help and advice in there , say hello if you pop in:)

http://www.strikehook.com/

Launching at most ramps in SA incurs a fee- but you get use of safe facilities and wash down areas (Must wash engine out each time in the salt). $7.00 at O'Sullies Ramp.

Lots of ramps about.......... http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/recboatingfacilities/boat_ramp_locations

You can beach launch for free but look for the areas designated.

On Moana drive on I think it's to the right as you drive on.

Any motorised boat requires you to have a licence - fairly easy to obtain even though you have to do a test.As you are reading up on it try and remember some of the info - it will come in handy later!

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Boating+and+marine/Boat+operators,+licences+and+permits/Applying+for+a+boat+licence

On board you will have to carry specific kit , from life jackets onwards - all safety equipment.

There are inspectors about so do comply ( must remember to buy some new batteries fro my obligatory torch).

Have a look here............ http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/safety/marine/index.asp

If you see a boat locally to me ( Onk Hills) , I don't mind coming along for a look. I ain't no expert but know a little that might just save you in the long run.

Cheers

:):)

Tyke

thanks so much,your advice is invaluable

We went down to o sullivans this weekend to have a look and as you suggested getting some of those magazines too:notworthy:

Guest Fritz N. Sauce

I've got a 3.4m Aluminium boat I'm looking to sell (planning to upgrade).

I'll throw in all safety stuff (lifejackets, fire extinguisher, oars, etc..)

It has an almost new (10 hours) Tohatsu 9.8 HP motor, just serviced, and run-in.

Along with anchour, 3 seats, 4 rod holders & 12 litre fuel tank

It also has a Bimini cover which folds down for towing.

Lightweight trailer (good for beach launching if you don't have 4WD) with spare wheel.

And a weather-proof cover.

All Rego'd 'till end of 2010.

I was looking for around $3500 for the lot.

If you're interested let me know, I'll put some photos on or you can come around for a look.

Guest Guest75
Thanks for all the info Tyke, know I didnt start the thread but we quite fancy a boat too, so all the above is excellent information! Cheers x

No worries.

It's a big decision!:):)

Guest Guest75

Had a good day out on the Snapper today.

50 +k's trip.

Biggest was only 12.5lbs - lost some huge ones ( but fishermen always say that):biglaugh:

Snaps190110.jpg

My mate Colin with his first ever Snapper catch

colinsnaps190110.jpg

Having read the post, I am trying to locate a suitable place near to PORT NOARLUNGA that can offer a parking bay for a boat. I am trying too locate a parking space for a 7.23 (including Trailer) ideally under cover..

Willing to pay a mutually arranged peppercorn rent for the privilege, and more than happy to take out on occasions to make the venture worth while. Not sure what the going rate would be, but want a yearly figure or one off payment...Pommie rates would be great!!

Unable to park at my house due to steep drive and not sure if the trailer would tip over and drop the boat..

Any help would be appreciated and taken...

Please feel free to drop me a PM//

Guest Guest75
Having read the post, I am trying to locate a suitable place near to PORT NOARLUNGA that can offer a parking bay for a boat. I am trying too locate a parking space for a 7.23 (including Trailer) ideally under cover..

Willing to pay a mutually arranged peppercorn rent for the privilege, and more than happy to take out on occasions to make the venture worth while. Not sure what the going rate would be, but want a yearly figure or one off payment...Pommie rates would be great!!

Unable to park at my house due to steep drive and not sure if the trailer would tip over and drop the boat..

Any help would be appreciated and taken...

Please feel free to drop me a PM//

How about having a drive around the Lonsdale & Hackham Trading estates???

Might be something there - seen boat parked up before in compounds?

:)

Guest Guest75
Looks a good day was had mate....i had 2 airport runs to do today else i would have loved to come out...

HG

My first long trip without the infamous Snapper catcher ,I've gone through a rite of passage today;););)

Not where we went that time!

• 1 month later...
Guest tinkham_lee

there is a ramp on marine drive, at O'sullivan Beach. the ramp is in a man made harbour like thing (not sure what its called) so the water is calm. there is ample parking for cars down there too. also you can always launch off the beach at Aldinga, silver sands and Moana.

Guest Flatdog

OK I also love boats and owned a few. The basic thing to start with is what you will do with it. Will you just put around the inlets or go onto the ocean.

Then work out how many people will be in it and i can say from esperance allow for friends and of coarse budget.

I would look at all alloy around 14ft or 4.2 meters with an outboard of a minimum of 25hp to max 50hp. I would also think about four stroke rather than two stroke they are mush quieter and fuel efficient.

Remember when you launch and retrieve your boat this is when you really need to thought about the trailer set up but all boat yard will help you on this.

Also think about electrics for depth sounder GPS etc.

Don't forget canopy the sun will fry you like an egg on the water!

Don't forget all safety gear and epirb etc.

Look at anchors sand or reef or both.

All this said and done once you have made up your mind on all of this start bargaining real hard as you will find out there can be some big savings.