one year update

Guest dave

Hola, I'm dave. I used to like reading peoples updates when we were in u.k so here's mine.

We came out on a 175 visa. I'm a mental health nurse. We knew no-one in Australia and never visited. We had a small budget to come with.

We had mad drama on arrival with the local idiot giving us hassle at our OAA. (see previous thread about 9 months ago).

Stayed in OAA at Paradise for 3 months, it was a godsend. Arranged a rental in Netley through the Advertiser. Got a nice house with a really good landlord and sorted it all out informally (no minimum lease etc.). I'm in my second job, initially worked in the secure services but now work down south. There are lot's of similarities and lot's of differences but it's not too difficult picking up the Australian way. I just keep my head down like I did in England. Mrs. got a good job part time (she's a MHN too).

Kid's have done really well at school. One's just done Reception year and one done 3 month kindy. I've met a few people but don't go out that much. I haven't tried to get out and about much as I knew we would be moving. (Despite that I play in a mixed soccer team, am going to the cricket on Saturday and we have just arranged a camping weekend with some friends over Easter!).

Big week for us this week, we are moving to Woodcroft where the kids will be schooling and where I think we will buy once the uk house sells (or IF it sells!). I plan on putting a few roots down now and getting out a bit more.

What's Australia like?

Fantastic. We love it. I know it's hard to quantify the "better life" thing but for us it's true. Ace weather, beatiful beaches, fun people. Loads of space, parks on every corner and plenty of stuff for the kids (ozkick, Milo into cricket etc.) I know there are drawbacks to everything,but would encourage anyone to just think positively and you'll be amazed at what you achieve in a short time. Best wishes to all.

Dave

hi and thanks for the post. Our kids are at Woodcroft Primary, one will be starting yr 4 and one yr 2, they love it and we are happy with the school, shout when you settle and we can meet up