Hard Rubbish Festival!

Sallyh

Freecycle? Who needs it. Our suburb is celebrating the Hard Rubbish Festival.

Its quite well organised really. The council put out an invitation to the festival (not called a festival, but everyone knows it is). Participating households (virtually everyone) enjoy a good old rummage and throw out session, and stack everything on the grass verge in front of their house - in plenty of time before the actual festival day. Some begin even 3 or 4 days before.

Then it gradually gets a bit busier, everyone starts to join in with the celebratory atmosphere. People drive slightly slower than normal, admiring the view as they pass the unwanted items. When they find what they are looking for, or what they weren't looking for but suddenly realise they actually do need one, they just get out and take it.

Its not a night time activity, you can join in with this one any time of day and there is no shame, or so it seems.

You feel a little hard changed (bit like opening a present early) if half of your rubbish - in our case an old bed and something else - is actually collected and rehomed before you have even finished your trips out to the front to arrange your display.

The council make sure that they warn everyone in plenty of time so that they can join in - and they also make sure that they don't collect it all too early in the day - makes sense really, they allow more opportunity for celebration and sharing, and they have less work to do when they finally come to remove what has been left by rubbish revellers.

And not a snooty freecycle moderator's email in sight!!!

Well anyway the council haven't come yet. Are they playing tricks on me? Is the Hard Rubbish Collector dressed in red with a white beard? Have I been hoodwinked? If I wait in all day for him will I be disappointed???!

smile.gif

• 1 year later...

Well it's come around again!!

Anyone newly here and looking for stuff, you might want to drive around Kensington Park this weekend because the grass verges are already filling up!

(We'll not be putting our stuff out till Sunday night incase the inlaws tell us they want some of our stuff that we are determined is RUBBUSH not for scavenging rellies!). But anyway, in all seriousness (well, maybe 1/4 seriousness), if you fancy a scenic bargain spotting drive, try Kensington Park this weekend!!!!!

;)

the verge outside my place has been full for the past week. i blame the scum that lived in the place next door moving out and thinking it was ok to just dump everything.

LOL, your description has made me smile!

In the meantime, we are trying desperately to find something to put out before our turn comes! It's really difficult when you can't find anything in time, then as soon as it's been collected, you remember something that could have been discarded! Oh no! YOu have to wait another year!!