First snake of the season!

Guest Guest75

Well,I've had my first snake encounter of the season.

Yesterday I was having a load of mulch delivered.I had to pull up and move a sleeper with the delivery guy so we could get the truck in.

There I was leaning on my spade when the delivery guy shouts "SNAKE" - I looked down to see it making straight for me.:wideeyed:

Before I even realised I'd done it my spade when into action and the snake ended up in several wriggling bits.

He was only a little fella that I guess was hibernating under the wooden sleeper but when he is 6 inches away from your leg instincts take over!!

So be warned when disturbing things in the garden!!!!!!

do you know what sort of snake it was? It sounds like they are quick!! ive only seen Adders in the wild and that was some years ago:)

Nikki

It looked like a Brown snake from the glimpse I got of it,couldn't tell after the few seconds brush with my spade though!!

I was talking to someone quite knowledgeable about such things and he said it could have been a legless lizard!

It is both dangerous to kill snakes and I would not recommend it - it happened by instinct.

It is illegal to kill some snakes here also.

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Well,I've had my first snake encounter of the season.

Yesterday I was having a load of mulch delivered.I had to pull up and move a sleeper with the delivery guy so we could get the truck in.

There I was leaning on my spade when the delivery guy shouts "SNAKE" - I looked down to see it making straight for me.:wideeyed:

Before I even realised I'd done it my spade when into action and the snake ended up in several wriggling bits.

He was only a little fella that I guess was hibernating under the wooden sleeper but when he is 6 inches away from your leg instincts take over!!

So be warned when disturbing things in the garden!!!!!!

Hi Indiana Tyke Jones,

Hope the little fellas mum and dad don't come looking for you;), as a matter of interest do you get many sightings where you are each year, we have been told about a couple of sightings last year where we are building, not that I'm going to go looking.

Regards

Guzzler

Hi Indiana Tyke Jones,

Hope the little fellas mum and dad don't come looking for you;), as a matter of interest do you get many sightings where you are each year, we have been told about a couple of sightings last year where we are building, not that I'm going to go looking.

Regards

Guzzler

Hi Guzzler

There are not that many sightings at all in the area.I suppose it will depend on how much time you spend outside as to the chances of seeing a snake.

I think there are a fair few on our side due to the creek at the back of us I'm told.

Just down the road a bloke has seen Red Bellied Blacks on his land - he even caught one trying to get into his bathroom!!:err:

They are aggressive snakes and will chase you!

I guess there would have been a few seen on your side last year due to the earthwork disturbance - that often happens down at Hallett Cove.

We have a fair few resident Blue Tongued and Shingleback lizards - they are great for pest control as they love eating slugs and snails.