First Week In Adelaide - Brilliant - Wow!!!

Boxertony

Hi everyone its took over a year to get to this message. I use to read and be ever so envy of those people who write these updates. Now it's my time. Here goes:

Arrived on lunch time on Wednesday 10th February 2010. Went straight to our four week fully furnished rental from Donna Jacob, well recommended. A really nice three double bedroom house located in Seaton very near West Lakes Shopping Centre, which is amazing. After 20 mins we went to West Lakes changed our English Sterling to AUS$ then went to Coles shopping, what an eye opener regarding the prices. But enjoyable seeing the different brands etc. The people on the till were ever so friendly even packed your bags for you, lots of people waiting behind us and we felt obliged to speed up, but the people waiting said "NO WORRIES" lol. So laid back the Ozzies are and ever so friendly, the kept saying "love your accent" and "you are ever so brave to come over to Adelaide".

The same first day Wednesday afternoon we went to the bank, all our bank stuff was sorted and cards ready to be picked up, once again really friendly people/staff. On the way home we visited a car rental, organised a car rental and left with the car rental, whilst driving home I just randomly stopped at a car dealers, just to get an idea of the prices etc. After twenty minutes being there I knocked down the car dealer on a Vauxhall Holden from $2000 to £1000 and three weeks left on the Rego. So my Son drove the purchased car back following me in our car rental.

Next day Thursday we went into Adelaide Centre sorted out the Medicare, Tax File Numbers, purchased five sim cards from Vodaphone and also the pay-as-you-go Internet Dongle, purchased a Sat Nav and a Printer/Scanner/Copier all in one. Visited West Lakes and Shannon my daughter got offered a weeks hairdressing trial for an apprenticeship in hairdressing. Also viewed another three rental houses.

Next day Friday we visited Glenelg, what a lovely gorgeous amazing place, paradise on your doorstep. Whilst walking along the promenade, we were saying "I cannot believe that we live here, we could come here everyday if we wanted to". That was the time and place where everything we wanted and dreamed about came into reality. Honest readers dreams do come true and Adelaide was the definitely our home from now onwards. Went to view another two rental houses.

Friday night a great family who we met on this amazing website came to our home and welcomed us to Adelaide, they came with their lovely daughter. One hour later my son and their daughter went out drinking down Hindley Street. They have seen each other everyday since, they say they are just friends, but I know its more than that. lol.

Saturday was rest day we spent the day sunbathing on Henley Beach and viewed one rental home.

Sunday we met up with a really nice family from this website and ended up going to the Gorge, we fed the kangaroos, held Koala Bears and took photos, walked around and saw every animal you could think of. Cannot stand Bats urghhh! On our return we went for a meal with this family.

Monday my son Nathan aged 20 and I got invited to to lunch with the Italian owner and Director of Adelaide City at the ground in Oakden. We had a five course meal, wine the full works, shown round the ground and discussed soccer contracts and wages for my son. In the evening we went to see Adelaide City play a match at home and both Nathan and I spent the evening in the Directors box and again having a buffet at half time. Free drinks too.

Tuesday I visited MINDA in Seacliff and got a job offer from them, as long as I can get my skills assessed via the skills recognition board and complete the senior first aid course. Tuesday afternoon we veiwed three houses and a bit of shopping. In the evening we went back to Adelaide City and Nathan received some medical treament/physio because he has a slight ligament strain in his ankle. At this point the owner/director of Adelaide City also offered to purchase him a car so my son can get to training and also offered him a job at his company called BEST BRICKS, working in the office, and can also help him if he wants to gain his own accommodation. Every person we have came into contact who are associated to Adelaide Juventas Soccer Club are absolutely amazing people. What a friendly and helpful bunch of people.

Tuesday evening we met up with another amazing family from this website and went for a drink at the Marine in Glenelg, but had to pick the son up on the return from the cinema at Marion with is new girl - mate/friend lol.

Wednesday first thing I received a phone call from the director of Adelaide United asking Nathan and I to go and see them about playing for them, so the last two days we have been speaking to him, but feeling bad to Adelaide City, so we have arranged to go and see the Manager and the Director of Adelaide Utd this Monday afternoon. We did the right thing and told Adelaide City and they was really nice about it. This surprised us. Later in the afternoon we visited the welcome meetingn at the state government offices, waste of time, but did meet the big boss of the skills reognition board and have an appointment on Friday to see her to complete my skills assessment. Another three houses we viewed in the late afternoon and agreed to apply for a 4 bedroom rental bungalow house at Ferryden Park.

Today Thursday we went visted the estate agents and applied for the house at Ferryden Park and we go it, absolutely well chuffed. Jane the wife visited her employment at the North Calvary Hospital and was shown round and got her shifts off the clinical director. This evening Nathan and I went back to Adelaide City for more Physio treatment and to watch a bit of training.

Tomorrow (Friday) I will be taking back the car rental, visiting the Driving Licence place at the Marion to Rego my car and sort out SA driving licences. In the afternoon I am going to the Skills assessment meeting.

Saturday is a BBQ attendance and Sunday is an afternoon with an associate from Adelaide United at his home.

Jet-lag what's that, feel brilliant.

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Jealous? Me? :nah: not 'alf

OMG Sounds like you have taken a months worth of everything and put it into a week! Your social calendar seems set for the forseeable future let alone the week past eh?

Well done on all your achievements this week.

Yes, I am now where you USED to be sitting here in UK hoping it will be our turn soon,

so happy that you have had a very productive week and all is well and happy for you all.

Glad that all has gone and is going well, you all are finally living your dream

take care

Tanya :wubclub:

So happy everything is going well for you.

Sounds like you're a local already.

We'll be over mid-April (cant wait now)

Good luck living your dream.

Darren, Janet & Kids

Hey,

Sounds like a full on week for u!!

Glad its all falling into place quickly....

I'm a United season ticket holder....so if your son gets a contract of some kind hopefully he could improve there position from this season!! Also...where do Adelaide City play?

We are having a meet in Glenelg next saturday night (27th) at the Watermark if you are interested?

Dan

Mayjess my daughter is really enjoying the sun and is starting to like it, she needs to find some friends now, hopefully she can at her hairdresser apprenticeship at the Westlakes. The only time she seems to be down in the dumps is after she has received a text message or telephoned her boyfriend in the UK. My Son nathan is a great support and encouraging her greatly to be social, Nathan's new girl mate/friend is helping with that also.

Dan I was aware of your meeting on the 27th Feb, will try to make it. I assume the kids are not allowed to go. Nathan plays centre forward, but ideally he wants to play centre mid. Adelaide City play at the Oakden - Fosters Road, the North East region of Adelaide. We chat with Adelaide this Monday and also have an invite to some representative of Adelaide United house on Sunday afternoon.

Guest ReadyPenny

Weh hey Tony get you!!!! Only been here for 2 minutes and already got friends in high places LOL.

Glad to hear all is good for you and things are working out. Good on ya!

Mandy

Guest nishman

Welcome to Adelaide - you've been busy. You will eventually get chance to take breath and start to take it all in! But at the moment, ride that wave and enjoy discovering all the new things in your new home. Your talk of Coles took me back to the first time we went shopping here - "they pack your bags for you????" LOL. One of the first of many mindset adjustments to come :)

BTW I'm sure your Nathan will offer Utd more potency than Owusu & Cristiano have this year ;)

Guest happy feet

great to see u have finally arrived, and boy have u arrived!!!! Well done on your first week, any time you down this way, give us a shout......Good luck with the rest of your journey, Adelaide united def needs some new blood!!!

Just heard a whirlwind has struck Adelaide...oh no it's you guys.lol

Hope we have the same luck as you when we come over. That's great, proves you just need to put yourself out there!!!

Hope Charlotte is enjoying herself? Tell her to post Ellie when she gets a chance...

Inspirational post - especially after having a bit of a wobble a couple of days ago about the move. Sounds like you have had a good couple of weeks, and in the sunshine! Nice one!