1st Week & Been Stopped by the Police (Driving)

Boxertony

Last night (Saturday 20th Feb) at approximately 01:20 am I was driving well within the speed limit of 60 KM. Police pulled me over and I wound my window down. The first thing to policeman said to me - can you get out of the car so I can breathalise you. Scared because so many different people told me various stories about the Police and what is the legal limit to drink alcohol, whilst driving. I had been to our first Ozzie BBQ that evening and I had only had two bottles of Lager, the most recent one only an hour before I was driving home.

The Policeman asked me what I had drank and when was the last time I drank, which I mentioned about an hour ago. I took the test and passed what a relief. Then he tooked me to may car and pointed to my back number plate and stated that he could charge me with a $550 fine for inappropriate number plates, I was shocked nothing wrong with the number plates. The Policeman mentioned and showed me that the background of the number plate is flaking away and chipping away. Nothing wrong with the actual large black solid numbers, just the surrounding plate. He mentioned that I have to go to the driving licence place and ask and pay for a replacement number plate, which will take three weeks to arrive. This is weired I understand if the acutal plate numbers were falling off or unreadable, even if its covered in dirt and needs cleaning so the Police can read the number plate. But a bit of flaking is way over the top.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im affraid the copper is right and your lucky he didnt give you a defect notice which would meant losing your car until the plates had been replaced then going down to registry to get them to check it.

Guest Im Here

The reason for you to get new plates are that if your plates are flaking then they DO NOT

reflect when flashed if speeding or going through red lights. It is an offence to drive with faulty number plates. This is one of the Australian rules i'm afraid.

Guest katsmajic

Thats a bit out of order isn't it.

I rate the cops here - theyve been great to/for us.

quota time......................but if you had run beaten someone up you'd have been ok.

Stevo

Guest kangomik

i think Tony paid under a grand for the car (previous post) so will have little comeback on the dealer.

Sounds like the car is known or something, not every cop has eye sight that good.

Welcome to the darker side of Aus mate, the fines are hefty over here.

I had only changed the Rego on Monday and also applied for my SA Licence, which the policeman was aware of, he was ok not nasty just told me that he could give me a a fine for $550 for a defect number plate and advised me to go to the Rego place to purchase another one, which I will be doing this week. My son said I think an unmarked police car is following us Dad, which he was right. I am just glad that I am aware of this now and that I am sensible not to drink and drive or to speed and aware that there are a lot of speed camera's and police are looking for bad drivers.

Guest kangomik

there are a few plain cars around 3 ariels, big tv type screens in the front and a driver with a gun.

Just like the UK mate, if your nice to them they are nice back. (i know some will have horror stories)

Well done on the drink driving front, although you can actually drink and drive in SA.

It may be worth having the car checked over in case it has any other "defaults". But you won't have far to go if it is defected mate, Regency Park is just across the road:biglaugh:

If he didn't charge you it sounds like you got a nice copper;)

WE are not all bad.

Stick to the rules and dont be rude.

As an X English cop we are not so prude.

But if your unlucky to be stopped by an Ozzie lass or Lad,

It may be that you have gone through a VLAD

Just take you tube and nod you head,

As most cops are not that bad.

Well never a poet, but always a cop. The road Rules here are pretty good in relation to various traffic offences. Back in the UK cops had little or no time to target drivers. Here in SA the cops are encouraged to target you and issue traffic infringement notices (TINS).

Make sure your car is road-worthy and if in doubt get it checked by a mechanic.

You can get a fine for riding a bike across a pedestrian crossing, so a driver in a car is a easy target. Most cops that I know are pretty fair, so be polite say your sorry and see what happens. If you have the chance of a fine and don't given one, you have done really well and you should be saying thanks. They usually give them out if there is an opportunity.

Road safety is everybody's responsibility!

In realtion to the drink drive limit here 0.05 would be 50Ml back in the UK. The legal limit is 35 Ml in the UK. SO you can see that the comparison is some what difficult. Most people react to drink differently and absorb it at different rates.

The easy way is to abstain and dont drink anything when your driving. Failing that the police here carry out numerous Road side test stations. If you get caught, you will be subject to the penalty's imposed here. They can vary from a TIN for a level under the level deemed fit for prosecution at court. All the way up to a court appearance with a Magistrate and an instant Loss of licence.

So think carefully..

Well done on the drink driving front, although you can actually drink and drive in SA.

Very irresponsible statement to make!

The blood alcohol limit may be higher here than UK but that doesn't make it OK to drink & drive. Risk your own life by all means, but not that of anyone else please.

There are enough drink drivers on the road as it is without encouraging more.

Always best to have a nominated driver who stays off the drink for the evening in my experience.

Guest MrsHills

Basically driving within the law in UK is the same as here, dont speed, dont drink and drive, keep you car up to a UK MOT standard and you'll be okay - dont and you'll cop (no pun intended) a fine.

Ratters is correct and Cops are the same everywhere - be polite to them and they'll be polite back (although there are grumpy ones as well - we all have bad days!!) as my old Ma used to say - speak to people imagining that I am behind you!!

Basically driving within the law in UK is the same as here, dont speed, dont drink and drive, keep you car up to a UK MOT standard and you'll be okay - dont and you'll cop (no pun intended) a fine.

Ratters is correct and Cops are the same everywhere - be polite to them and they'll be polite back (although there are grumpy ones as well - we all have bad days!!) as my old Ma used to say - speak to people imagining that I am behind you!!

That's true, but the change of speed limits in very short spaces does make it harder. Twenty six years and no infringements in the UK makes me a little lucky and probably an attentive driver (or so it seemed). Five months here and one speeding fine where the road goes 50/60/50 in a very short space tells it's own story. Everyone I work with has been caught speeding, so I'd say that it's a way of life here

Reckon your Ma was right though,

Cheers,

Cooler

To avoid speeding here, I use cruise control on the car whenever possible. I know it's probably meant for long journeys on the open road but it can be useful around the city if the traffic is not too heavy, especially when you are in a 50 k zone which can seem unbearably slow. Just set the cruise control and sit back knowing you're not going to creep up over the speed limit, which is so easy to do.

The blood alcohol limit may be higher here than UK but that doesn't make it OK to drink & drive. Risk your own life by all means, but not that of anyone else please.

Always best to have a nominated driver who stays off the drink for the evening in my experience.

Maybe he was just pointing out the fact that it is actually perfectly legal to drive down the road with a beer in hand. Well probably not in hand.....but as far as law concerned its no different to having a can of coke !!!....The Roadie!!!

If the government were serious about drink dring they wouldnt have drive thru bottle shops with cold ones ............ON ICE!!!!!

As for whether its right or wrong.........?????????????????????????????????

Guest brianlynnette
Also be aware that they have random breath tests here too. They were out checking this evening at about 8.30 on Trimmer Parade near West Lakes, on the other side of the road from us. So they don't just check at Christmas and on Saturday nights.

hi anne i noticed you've got a spouse visa, i myself am a citizen and ive got to sponsor brian on a spouse visa, did you do the form yourself or did you have a migration expert help you, any help you can give us would be very helpfull thank you

Guest kangomik

Pesty you need to do your homework........ i don't make the law over here:p

Just try to stick on the right side of it.;)

Who's going to nominate a driver when your driving home from work for example?:wacko:

Guest kangomik
To avoid speeding here, I use cruise control on the car whenever possible. I know it's probably meant for long journeys on the open road but it can be useful around the city if the traffic is not too heavy, especially when you are in a 50 k zone which can seem unbearably slow. Just set the cruise control and sit back knowing you're not going to creep up over the speed limit, which is so easy to do.

Anne you just have to be careful of down hill sections, as the car can speed up. The best i drove lately was a new Comodore (sp) and that feels as though is engine brakes to a certain extent, but the hills around the tunnels were more than a match for it.

The VW i drove ran away going down norton summit road and was wuickly over the limit.:nah:

You do have to keep your eyes out for sudden limit changes, and don't press the wrong buttons.

I do agree cruise control does help when not in too heavy traffic, if you want to see some nice stuff ask to drive a VW with automatic reverse parking, you dont need to touch the wheel;), and / or distance cruise control, the car will brake to a complete standstill whilst following another vehicle or travel at 110kmph whilst keeping a safe distance constantly. really nice stuff:wideeyed:

Guest Guest5035
Thats a bit out of order isn't it.

I rate the cops here - theyve been great to/for us.

there i was driving along Montague Road today, next to me was a cop and in front of us both a car with a smashed rear light/brake light, a tow bar obscurring the rego plate and a real badly faded rego plate. Did the cop stop him..........no his quota was up.

Stevo

Guest Guest5035

A Thought...................

> I went to a party,

>

> And remembered what you said.

> You told me not to drink, Mum

> So I had a sprite instead.

> I felt proud of myself,

>

> The way you said I would,

> That I didn't drink and drive,

> Though some friends said I should.

>