Red Back Spider At My Front Door

Boxertony

I have just returned from Glenelg this evening with my family. Outside our front door it was dark and I ended up walking through a really thick spider web. Once I was gthrough the front door I put the outside light on and there it was hanging off it's thick spider web, my first red back spider. I was fine about it, until the kids started saying you might die dad. Bloody kids I was fine till they started.

I have just returned from Glenelg this evening with my family. Outside our front door it was dark and I ended up walking through a really thick spider web. Once I was gthrough the front door I put the outside light on and there it was hanging off it's thick spider web, my first red back spider. I was fine about it, until the kids started saying you might die dad. Bloody kids I was fine till they started.

That's pretty quick! You've only been here a week or so! Ours was after a few months and inside someone's shoe that was left outside. Of course my better response was as I was lying in bed and realising something was crawling inside my Pyjamas. I whipped them off and shook them - nothing (thought it was my imagination...) then climbed back in and felt it climbing up the inside of my leg - screeched -stripped off to find a 1 inch centipede in there and they stick to the fabric. UGHHH! Not freaked out by centipedes but crawling up my leg...) Moral of the story - change the habit of a life time and NEVER leave clothes on the floor...

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Its only a red back, just flick them out the way.

The only ones really to watch out for is the females.

If it has a black ball body with a red bit its a female red back, you dont see many males and they look nothing like a red back female, they are pinky brown in colour nothing much like the shape of the female and normally not even half the size, I have been told the female eats the male after "you know what" so they never get chance to grow much.

Haaaaaaaaaa Welcome to Oz. The 'locals' take some getting used to. I don't even think about them. The only thing that concerned me was my first encounter with a brown snake. Luckily I was on my bike so it was just a brief Oh my God its a ...:shocked:.... oh its back there now. :biglaugh:

Guest the4hopes

We've had quite a lot at our house, we even had a small one making itself a nice home in the corner of our bedroom ceiling, it was quite small so hard to tell, took a photo of it and zoomed in, and was quite clear it was a red back, it would have been very easy to miss! My husband was bitten by something about 2 weeks before and the top of his hand was very swollen when he woke up one morning, lasted a few days.

Do you want a friend for it?? we Always get loads in are garden hard to kill the buggers but always find a size 10 flip flop always does the job. The girls redbacks always eats their lovers:Randy-git: think they have the right idea :biglaugh:

Found a 3 legged, well 3 legs and stump spider in our garden this moring poor little thing, the size 10 sorted that one too:biglaugh:.

Hubby seen hundreds of red backs when workin under houses, he just squashes them with his grips, white tails as well, if you see a wolf spider catch it and take it outside before you kill it as they carry hundreds of babies on their backs and if you kill them in the house the babies leg it and in a couple of months you could have a sh*t load. Been here nearly 3 years and never seen a snake!

Guest nishman

I evicted a little female (and it's potential mate/dinner) from a wheelbarrow I was returning to a mate. They really are a beautiful spider (if that can be possible) - this one had white speckles around the red stripe.

White-tips are the nasty ones that hide in "floor-hampered laundry" and have a nasty bite on them

Wolf spiders are big buggers, fast moving and as mentioned like to carry their young on their backs!

Not seen a (live) snake in the wild yet - but saying that I'm about to go bush this week in the wilds of the mines at Whyalla so may well be breaking that duck :o

Guest stufi1997

We get very few redbacks down here...probably too bloody cold for them too!! but did see a black and white stripey spider with bright red legs the other day on my windscreen:err:Anyone know what they are? wasn't big but very definate coloured markings:huh: Have asked a few locals but they've never heard of them.....Maybe a cross breed, they reckon they are doing that now too!!:arghh: