Friendly Australians? Is Adelaide the friendliest place?

When we arrived three years ago we were surprised (shocked!) by just how friendly the locals are.

Since then we have travelled and have been to Melbourne and Sydney.

We have also just returned from touring New Zealand. The country was stunning but the people were very different. The humour here is great and your everyday interactions seem more pleasant.

In all our travels we still find that people in Adelaide are the friendliest.

Are there friendlier people anywhere else in Oz?

What are your thoughts?

Tamara;)

Not sure! But its lovely to read of your experiences!

Oh, edited to add - completely agree with you re: how friendly Adelaide is, what I am not sure about is whether anywhere else is friendlier!

I have vague and distant memory (10 yrs ago) that people were very friendly in Alice Springs but we were staying with relatives who are part of the furniture there, got skin names with the Aboriginies and been in Alice forever. So we were bound to find it friendly.

Yep i think your right, people are very friendly and welcoming here, We recently got back from NZ and found them to be slightly grumpier than here!

Although i was in Jimmies take away Thursday night and a guy swore and was very aggresive toward the bloke serving him, he told him to ****ing put another serve of salad in the box, it's ****ing $7 worth!!!! First time ive seen anything like that since being here, and the guy was an Aussie!!!!!!!

Simon:)

We lived in Wagga Wagga for just over 2 yrs and coudn't believe how complete strangers would go out of their way to help us, young teens in town actually say 'excuse me' when passing you on the street, at no time did I ever feel intimidated, it was amazing. Neighbours invited us for barbies to meet the rest of the neighbours etc, and my boss let my brother (over on holiday) drive her car around for 3 weeks so we would'nt have to pay rental prices.

We have been in Adelaide now for 4 mths and have met some friendly people, just got a job and am makin some new friends the kids love it here, they have made some good friends. All in all I think Australia in general is a very friendly place.