Mawson Lakes

Guest Squareman

Guest Squareman

Hi all

Have been looking at properties in Mawson Lakes. The place seems to have it all!! :D

Awesome, modern homes that aren't overly expensive, shops, schools, restaurants etc within walking distances as well as some lovely watery scenery

Anyone got any bad news for me? Is it the 'paradise' it seems?

The local people tell me its built on the flood plains!

So in years to came with global warming there might be some problems.

Also its the old run off area from the airport so hope they never expand that airport.

Spoke to a lad who fitted water heaters on the houses and he told me about getting bitten to death by the midges that live in the lakes.

Its not all doom and gloom honest.

Rob

Everyone I know who lives at Mawson Lakes really likes it - it has a great atmosphere, nice cafes, shops, lots of local employers etc., and when I've asked them about mosquitoes, they just laugh - I think it's something put about by people who are just jealous, or perhaps it was an issue when the place was first built, but I don't think it still is! I've heard slightly mixed things about the local state primary school, but very good things about the local private primary school, which is actually very reasonably priced. It's also in a great location for getting to everything - beaches, city, hills and wineries. I don't think flooding is a great issue there: the coastal suburbs would go under water first if global warming ever actually happens, so it would be goodbye Hallett Cove and Aldinga!! And in terms of inland flooding, well we are the driest state in Australia... I've been here nearly six years, and there have been years when the Torrens River has got really full (it's empty at the moment in Highbury though!) and didn't hear of any flooding at Mawson Lakes then.

Only negative I have heard is that sometimes the gardens are quite small, as being a new-ish development, plot sizes are sometimes quite small - but on the other hand, with water restrictions, large gardens aren't generally a selling point here in (this) SA.

Guest ben&sharon
the coastal suburbs would go under water first if global warming ever actually happens, so it would be goodbye Hallett Cove and Aldinga!!

Feel obliged to point out that Hallett Cove is on top of a bloody great hill, and therefore fairly unlikely to flood any time soon. It's part of what makes it such a special place to live - the fantastic sea views and the breezes off the ocean on those stifling summer days....... You should venture south and actually come and see the place Diane. You never know - you might like it....... ;)

Hi. Have been doing some work with both the ambos and the firies. Each, separately, told me that they had concerns over the development. The homes are not built well for the heat so the Ambos expect health problems for the residents. The firies worry that building homes over shops is not Australian due to the fire hazard from the shops (packing material left around etc) being directly under slumbering corpses, er, sorry people.

Also, the walls of the flats are designed to fall over in one piece - hopefully outwards - if there is a catastrophic fire.

On the plus side, it would kill the mozzies.

Nick

Feel obliged to point out that Hallett Cove is on top of a bloody great hill, and therefore fairly unlikely to flood any time soon. It's part of what makes it such a special place to live - the fantastic sea views and the breezes off the ocean on those stifling summer days....... You should venture south and actually come and see the place Diane. You never know - you might like it....... ;)

LOL I have been there actually at various times in the past six years, but came home pretty fast!

Guest Rob and Clare

I do have to feel like I need to put right a few wrongs.

Flooding..... Like everybody who lives on the Adelaide plains there is a risk of the so called 100 year flood, as the plains are flat, the water cannot run off easily. In heavy rains in the past 4 years I've been caught out in various places around Adelaide but not at home. The creek through the centre is designed to take storm water straight to the wet lands where there are natural aquifers 150M deep to filter the water and keep it ready for re-use. There is information on this at the Wartershed as well as a top quality restaurant.

Airport.... There is an airport nearby, but rather than expanding it is contracting as the land is so valuable now there are more houses being built and an expansion to the retail park. The runway has been reduced and can only effectively be an operational training flight airport until it's eventual and inevitable closure.

Mosquito's.... There are websites and even council information on this but the main reason for mozzies is still calm shallow water, Plant pot trays, uneven paving, poor guttering, etc... Whilst Mawson Lakes has mosquito's it cannot be overrun by them due to the natural predators like frogs and mosquito fish.

Build Quality.... Hmmmm Houses and flats are built by the same people who build everywhere, I’m not saying there is or is not a problem, but if there is, it will be common across the city, and nearly all apartments will have shops at base level, but if you live in a house, well there isn't a problem.

We like living here.... It is the only place I've been too that has the feeling of space with all the outdoor parks, lakes etc.. We have an abundance of shops and cafe's nearby all within walking distance, and at the weekend we definitely have the feeling of putting the car in the garage and relaxing. There is a high variety of sports, Golf, Tennis, Beach Volleyball, Patank, basketball, Cricket, AFL, 26km of walkways, there is also 2 personal training gyms, plus 2 other standard gyms, and nearly forgot an indoor sports hall with 5 a side football, mixed netball, squash....

The downsize is the cost, some houses are fairly reasonable at only $500K, but gardens will be slightly smaller, maybe even just a smaller courtyard garden, but you can still enjoy everything of the area. A larger size property on a larger plot would be a min of $700K. If your budget is nearer $500K then it's a choice of a smaller property with the lifestyle of Mawson Lakes, or look at cheaper areas where you can get much more house for your dollar. I would also be careful which part of Mawson Lakes, there are quite a few homes still called Mawson Lakes but are actually quite a walk away over the Salisbury highway road. Whilst there nothing wrong there, you are still paying a premium for the area but don't have the amenities on your doorstep.

There is a certain level of ignorance with the area which you've seen, but on a recent national survey Mawson Lakes still came 9th for all Adelaide suburbs, Aberfoyle Park for instant came 44th, and this was voted for by people living in the area.

I do have to feel like I need to put right a few wrongs.

Flooding..... Like everybody who lives on the Adelaide plains there is a risk of the so called 100 year flood, as the plains are flat, the water cannot run off easily. In heavy rains in the past 4 years I've been caught out in various places around Adelaide but not at home. The creek through the centre is designed to take storm water straight to the wet lands where there are natural aquifers 150M deep to filter the water and keep it ready for re-use. There is information on this at the Wartershed as well as a top quality restaurant.

Airport.... There is an airport nearby, but rather than expanding it is contracting as the land is so valuable now there are more houses being built and an expansion to the retail park. The runway has been reduced and can only effectively be an operational training flight airport until it's eventual and inevitable closure.

Mosquito's.... There are websites and even council information on this but the main reason for mozzies is still calm shallow water, Plant pot trays, uneven paving, poor guttering, etc... Whilst Mawson Lakes has mosquito's it cannot be overrun by them due to the natural predators like frogs and mosquito fish.

Build Quality.... Hmmmm Houses and flats are built by the same people who build everywhere, I’m not saying there is or is not a problem, but if there is, it will be common across the city, and nearly all apartments will have shops at base level, but if you live in a house, well there isn't a problem.

We like living here.... It is the only place I've been too that has the feeling of space with all the outdoor parks, lakes etc.. We have an abundance of shops and cafe's nearby all within walking distance, and at the weekend we definitely have the feeling of putting the car in the garage and relaxing. There is a high variety of sports, Golf, Tennis, Beach Volleyball, Patank, basketball, Cricket, AFL, 26km of walkways, there is also 2 personal training gyms, plus 2 other standard gyms, and nearly forgot an indoor sports hall with 5 a side football, mixed netball, squash....

The downsize is the cost, some houses are fairly reasonable at only $500K, but gardens will be slightly smaller, maybe even just a smaller courtyard garden, but you can still enjoy everything of the area. A larger size property on a larger plot would be a min of $700K. If your budget is nearer $500K then it's a choice of a smaller property with the lifestyle of Mawson Lakes, or look at cheaper areas where you can get much more house for your dollar. I would also be careful which part of Mawson Lakes, there are quite a few homes still called Mawson Lakes but are actually quite a walk away over the Salisbury highway road. Whilst there nothing wrong there, you are still paying a premium for the area but don't have the amenities on your doorstep.

There is a certain level of ignorance with the area which you've seen, but on a recent national survey Mawson Lakes still came 9th for all Adelaide suburbs, Aberfoyle Park for instant came 44th, and this was voted for by people living in the area.

Well spoken Rob spot on....yes most posters to this site gain their "Mawson Lakes Knowledge" 2nd or 3rd hand w/o visiting...look Squareman come see for yourself thats only way.....some people will have you believe there are firery dragons in the lakes lol :biglaugh:....been here 7 years and loving it along with many others.....South is good also, but hey thats SA for you's, its all good... whatever blows your skirt. !.......cheers 246

I'm so glad you came along Rob and gave your viewpoint - as I said, everyone I know that lives there is really happy, and one of our neighbours moved from what we thought was a fantastic, "can't be beaten" location, to there only a couple of years ago (could have been to get away from us!) - and he is an architect.

Must admit I was a bit taken aback by all the negative things said about the place, as I've never heard anything bad said about it by anyone locally (apart from the school and the plot sizes) but as the poster above said, the viewpoints above are probably mostly from 2nd or 3rd hand opinions.

Thanks for giving the opinion and viewpoint of someone that lives there, Rob (or Clare!)

Squareman, if you've looked at places on the internet in Mawson Lakes that seem to be what you're looking for in a house, then don't be put off. It's a modern, up-market development with a lot to offer.

The downsize is the cost, some houses are fairly reasonable at only $500K, but gardens will be slightly smaller, maybe even just a smaller courtyard garden, but you can still enjoy everything of the area. A larger size property on a larger plot would be a min of $700K. If your budget is nearer $500K then it's a choice of a smaller property with the lifestyle of Mawson Lakes, or look at cheaper areas where you can get much more house for your dollar.

$500K is not my idea of reasonable especially for a house with a small garden, or even a smaller courtyard garden makes me feel that we have an amazing deal even with all the hassles we have had..

HG

In Mawson Lakes, you're probably paying a premium for the location as much as anything - everything is really accessible from there, plus the local amenities are excellent. Adelaide used to be known as the "20 minute City" (everything could be reached within 20 minutes drive), but there are very few places left around that satisfy that any more - Mawson Lakes probably does - and it has good public transport too. It doesn't suit everyone, but then nowhere does - otherwise we'd have some very crowded suburbs!!

Guest Squareman

WOW! I couldn't have asked for more in terms of feedback. (Tyke - I'm beginning to think I'm a jinx too - hehe)

On the back of all that info, I believe Mawson Lakes would be a good investment. All I need now is for the prospective employer to move his arse and fulfill his part of the 457 visa application. He has had the forms for the past month and has done nothing. I'm getting really worried and have even started applying for jobs in Melbourne........ :-(

Dont worry Diane is continuing her long running ignorant HC views. Goes to show what she knows if she thinks it will flood before Mawson lakes;). But hey.......everyones entitled to thier views............

Dont worry Diane is continuing her long running ignorant HC views. Goes to show what she knows if she thinks it will flood before Mawson lakes;). But hey.......everyones entitled to thier views............

Yes of course, I don't know what I'm talking about, only been here five minutes and never been anywhere south of the city, only ever looked at it on Google Earth (honstly, ffs!!!).... When there's a tsunami warning on the Adelaide coast though, I'd still rather be at Mawson Lakes than 'allitt Corrrrv... and with all these earthquakes around the world, that's a little more likely than global warning imho.

Guest Squareman

I can't wait until I'm over there and bickering with mates about whether we could one day be struck by tsunamis/global warming/locusts or whatever.

Yesterday, the president of the ANC Youth League called on black south africans to attack and kill whites. The government have said that they do not necessarily condemn his remarks.......

Bottom Line - be grateful for what you have!

I can't wait until I'm over there and bickering with mates about whether we could one day be struck by tsunamis/global warming/locusts or whatever.

Yesterday, the president of the ANC Youth League called on black south africans to attack and kill whites. The government have said that they do not necessarily condemn his remarks.......

Bottom Line - be grateful for what you have!

i think youve said it all there squarman, really in grand scheme of things who cares what fecking suburb is better !!! Im moving up north to macdonald park near angle vale and its smack bang in the plains if it floods so be it!!