Christie's Beach.Rough or not?

sueoc

Thinking of buying in Christie's Beach.Is it as "feral" as some Aussies say it is? Personally i think not,i have driven around in the daytime and it looks ok to me,with lot's going for it.House prices are affordable quite often.Surely it cannot be as bad as some Aussies say.Does anyone know Christie's well? Any Info appreciated thanks.:):)

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Sueoc. I tend to agree with Matt. The people who call Christies Beach feral are the same ones who believe Mawson Lakes is still a flea and mosquito ridden waste land, or West Lakes is still going to sink into swamp land never to be seen again. They are talking from 30+ years ago when Christies Beach used to be a poorer area, or holiday shacks, and it was about as far from the city as you could get and still be called Adelaide. These days I think you have very little to worry about.

Cheers, Kazza

We've just bought a beautiful [ and relatively cheap!] 5 bedroomed house in Morphett Vale after previously dismissing it as an area to consider living in, solely due to what others had said about the area. I'm soooooo glad that we bothered to look here in the end after not finding what we wanted in the areas we initially thought we'd settle in. It's quiet and peaceful and we feel we got a lot more of a house for our money than we could've got in eg: Flagstaff Hill / Aberfoyle Pk where we initially wanted to be - so it just goes to show , you can't really go on 'reputation' alone - use your own judgement and initiative. With hindsight, I feel there is a lot of snobbery about supposedly 'undesirable' areas to live in - we were guilty of that for sure at the start of the house - hunting process..... Good luck with it all anyway! Jacinta

We bought one of our rental properties in Christies and have no regrets. We have since added a cottage as well. Like all areas there are weird differences in suburbs that may differ from street to street. Christies is undergoing massive regeneration and you will make a fortune with rising property values. We are looking for another property in the Christies / Port Noarlunga area. There is the reputation of the past but my advice is to take advantage of it! Buy cheap in a suburb with great beaches, transport interchange, shopping etc. 25% of the residents in Christies are British born.

Enjoy!

Tamara

Guest familygood

Well said Tamara! We have been here for 2 months now and are finding it absolutely fine. I don't really know where people would get that from? I guess an old opinion of the area. There is a bit of a mix up of housing types and therefore I guess people living in the area. I think that makes life a bit more interesting anyway! I also have several friends in the area (who will probably respond to this when they see it!) and they all agree that the facilities here and what you get for your money are excellent.

We're renting and looking to buy in Christies Beach too - love it here. So close that you can easily walk to the fab sandy beach and all the shops, supermarkets, cafes and every kind of medical facility on Beach Rd. Also v handy for everything at Noarlunga Centre - Colonnades, cinema, bowling, leisure centre, ice rink and swimming pool. Christies North kindy and Christies Beach Childrens Centre are great too.

Guest guest569
Hi Sueoc. I tend to agree with Matt. The people who call Christies Beach feral are the same ones who believe Mawson Lakes is still a flea and mosquito ridden waste land, or West Lakes is still going to sink into swamp land never to be seen again. They are talking from 30+ years ago when Christies Beach used to be a poorer area, or holiday shacks, and it was about as far from the city as you could get and still be called Adelaide. These days I think you have very little to worry about.

Cheers, Kazza

Your wrong there Kaz !! I think mawson lakes is a mozzy infested swamp with small blocks BUT think Christies Beach is ok.:biglaugh:

Wouldn't want to go the other side of the main road though into Christie Downs !!!:nah:

I've been working there recently on the new build estate and the best way to explain it is" i don't think the security guard in his caravan gets alot of sleep at night with all the smashing glass in the windows !!!!":shocked:

Guest motlyman
Is Christies Beach the one with all the speed bumps every few metres along the seafront road?

Yep, all the way to Noarlunga.

Its an awesome view coming from Noarlunga over the hill and seeing the view of all the coastline to the north.

Colin

Guest motlyman
Your wrong there Kaz !! I think mawson lakes is a mozzy infested swamp with small blocks BUT think Christies Beach is ok.:biglaugh:

Wouldn't want to go the other side of the main road though into Christie Downs !!!:nah:

I've been working there recently on the new build estate and the best way to explain it is" i don't think the security guard in his caravan gets alot of sleep at night with all the smashing glass in the windows !!!!":shocked:

Agree with you mate.

Worked in Christies beach and Christie downs and there is a distinct difference between the two.

Colin

Guest motlyman
Are the speed bumps necessary because of a big hoon problem along there at nighttimes?

Could'nt say for sure but hoons are everywhere.

We are in Flagstaff hill and often hear them.

Maybe kids running across the road from the houses to the beach? Or daydreamers looking at the scenery and not the road?

Colin

Guest Aussie pat

We saw an article recently that said that Christies is one of the up and coming suburbs in SA as the old housing trust homes are being either done up or replaced by new housing. The regeneration is a really good thing as no one can argue that the beach isn't beautiful. You just have to look at all the new houses being built along the esplanade to see how things are changing. It's also not as far out as some of the newer outlying suburbs.

Guest paddyhaha

i agree mostley but some parts of christies beach / downs are fine and some not but with hand on heart i can say none as bad as back in the uk where we came from

Guest guest569
i agree mostley but some parts of christies beach / downs are fine and some not but with hand on heart i can say none as bad as back in the uk where we came from

Where were you from ??? Brixton or Toxteth ??? lol:biglaugh:

I love it at Christies Beach. I take our dog for walks along the beach there, especially at sunset, its really beautiful.

Its apparent that money is being spent on development and thats always a good sign for house owners. Personally I think people have caught on to the "good value for money" house prices in Christies Beach and in the past 2 years prices have gone up substantially due to high demand.

I don't think you'd go wrong buying in Christies Beach. Watch this space, there might be another rental there soon too!! ;)

Guest Guest75
Are the speed bumps necessary because of a big hoon problem along there at nighttimes?

Nah - they are there to slow the northerners down and make em' look around and realise what good scenery they are missing up north!:biglaugh:

Sorry Diane I could not resist that!

It is just because the roads can be full of tourists/ pedestrians.