England is cheap

Guest smit

and cold and dismal and wet.

First time back in 4 years....and hey if you want to see the true uk....come back in winter.

Ive forgotten how dismal a winters day is.......even though its spring!!!!! Been here 5 days..rained every day at some point.

Been to asdas....most things are sooo cheap compared to adelaide..apart from petrol and meat. Im sure there are others that are expensive but my general impression is that food is cheaper.

anyway good to meeet up with old friends

Smit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest moonraker1959

Hi where abouts are you?I'm in Wiltshire and the weekend was gorgeous!Felt warm and was sunny!Yes we've had some rain today but in all honesty we need it here,we don't seem to get very much,hopefully these few drops will fill my water butt back up.Hope you have a great time!All the best!

Hi where abouts are you?I'm in Wiltshire and the weekend was gorgeous!Felt warm and was sunny!Yes we've had some rain today but in all honesty we need it here,we don't seem to get very much,hopefully these few drops will fill my water butt back up.Hope you have a great time!All the best!
Im in sussex and ive seen blue sky Sunday am. apart from that its been foggy drizzle or rain....actually ...it was dry friday am as well. Not that im back for the weather................Seems wierd you missed it /..............as the prevailing winds come from your way!.........Maybe we will have a dry easter?

I do not know where in wiltshire you are lol but here in swindon it hasnt stopped torential raining for over a week, and yes its grey and freezing too!

Guest P00hbear
and cold and dismal and wet.

First time back in 4 years....and hey if you want to see the true uk....come back in winter.

Ive forgotten how dismal a winters day is.......even though its spring!!!!! Been here 5 days..rained every day at some point.

Been to asdas....most things are sooo cheap compared to adelaide..apart from petrol and meat. Im sure there are others that are expensive but my general impression is that food is cheaper.

anyway good to meeet up with old friends

Smit

So Smit apart from the weather and the cheaper cost of food..... are you enjoing your return to the UK?

Do you feel much has changed? Was the move to Oz worth it? or have you come back and realised that you have been missing good old blighty! Please tell me that you would much rather pay more for supermarket food and enjoy the warmer climate! Would love to hear your comments about the oz way of life compared to the uk.

Guest moonraker1959
I do not know where in wiltshire you are lol but here in swindon it hasnt stopped torential raining for over a week, and yes its grey and freezing too!

I live on the border of Wilts/Somerset and we spent all weekend outside,spent time on the veggie plots,went for a walk across the countryside and Sunday avvo sat outside at the local farm shop and had a coffee!It was forecast for heavy rain here today,but would'nt you know it?We had a couple of showers and that was it!

I agree England is cheap.

Everytime I go to the supermarket here I'm afraid I am still comparing prices back and it's amazing how much some things are here. Pack of 4 chocolate chip muffins in Coles special offer $3.99 - they were 99p full price in Tescos !!! and probably 2 for £1.50 when on special offer. :arghh:

I have started baking my own cakes!!

Also mortgages in England are very cheap... and 2nd hand cars..and sports gear - I saw a childs Lonsdale T-shirt here for $25 !! They used to almost give them away in England. Stock up before you come.

Guest guest569

The $$ is very strong at the moment giving you more pounds to play with. Got to feel for the newbies coming to Oz with fewer pounds and higher house prices these days !!! Would be even worse if on a temp visa with no Gov help !!!!:shocked:

I too agree that England is cheaper but I would not trade the life I have here to save a few pennies!

I went back to see family recently and I could not get over how cold it was. Had some good sunny days but they are rare. I also had a great time shopping for clothes but that was just becasue I knew which shops I liked and had good value.

I am sure with time I will find shopping here just as good fun its all about what is familiar.

There are things that I don't like about living here but then that could be true of where we were in the UK or anywhere for that matter.

Live is what you make it where ever that may be.

Michelle

The $$ is very strong at the moment giving you more pounds to play with. Got to feel for the newbies coming to Oz with fewer pounds and higher house prices these days !!! Would be even worse if on a temp visa with no Gov help !!!!:shocked:
Im comparing at 2 to 1......and its still cheap.52 bags of walkers crisps ..a fiver!!!!!!!!! 10 dollars.............and Bob.....I wouldnt have moved at todays rate and house prices.

BTW.............its lashing down......6 days ........

Adelaide 5 day forecast sun, sun ,sun, sun, sun

Sussex..heavy rain, heavy rain, light rain, heavy showers, heavy rain.......and to think I used to work in this!!!!!!......my brother still does.

So Smit apart from the weather and the cheaper cost of food..... are you enjoing your return to the UK?

Do you feel much has changed? Was the move to Oz worth it? or have you come back and realised that you have been missing good old blighty! Please tell me that you would much rather pay more for supermarket food and enjoy the warmer climate! Would love to hear your comments about the oz way of life compared to the uk.

For me the biggest factor in different lifestyle is the weather.................adelaide just had 5/6 moths of sun. Uk still has your old friends and family though...................

Guest moonraker1959
Im comparing at 2 to 1......and its still cheap.52 bags of walkers crisps ..a fiver!!!!!!!!! 10 dollars.............and Bob.....I wouldnt have moved at todays rate and house prices.

BTW.............its lashing down......6 days ........

Adelaide 5 day forecast sun, sun ,sun, sun, sun

Sussex..heavy rain, heavy rain, light rain, heavy showers, heavy rain.......and to think I used to work in this!!!!!!......my brother still does.

Too bad you're not in my neck of the woods mate,yesterday it was supposed to be heavy rain here,we had two showers all day and they were hours apart.Same today,been up since 6am,forecast heavy rain,have yet to see any and the sun is shining!:biglaugh:Enjoy the rain while you can,it beats a drought right?

Guest joolz

Well speaking as someone who shops Tesco /Sainsbugs once a week for a family of 4 we are spending between £130-£150 a week and rising...I admit there are a few bottles of the old vino collapso that sneak in the trolley (they just jump in honest!!!)... but the rest of our shop is mainly fresh produce not processed. How does that compare to Adelaide prices??

Too bad you're not in my neck of the woods mate,yesterday it was supposed to be heavy rain here,we had two showers all day and they were hours apart.Same today,been up since 6am,forecast heavy rain,have yet to see any and the sun is shining!:biglaugh:Enjoy the rain while you can,it beats a drought right?

Are you in the same Wiltshire as ME!?? :huh: Been hammering it down all day (few short breaks) with hail this eve! :sad:

But just thought I'd share the good things in life in UK - I'm going to Cadbury's factory next week! YUM! :jiggy:

Guest joolz
Are you in the same Wiltshire as ME!?? :huh: Been hammering it down all day (few short breaks) with hail this eve! :sad:

But just thought I'd share the good things in life in UK - I'm going to Cadbury's factory next week! YUM! :jiggy:

ENJOY while it's that soon will be Kraft World....?

Guest Guest75
Can't you find Stella on draught in Adelaide?

Nah - she moved back to the UK because you can't get up to date episodes of Coronation Street and East Enders.

We do get draught here , very few houses are "properly" insulated:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I just came back, I had a good time there (I always do), but the cost of living is still cheaper here. But money is not what makes a good life.
Too true about money not making good life.........but it helps.

Overall cost of living........dont know which is cheaper , cant be arsed thinking about it.......I just mentioned food prices in asdas.....which ive seen. If you dont agree ...so what..........

and yes .....having a good time also..........:jiggy: