First impressions

The Monaghans

Hello everyone! First of all, apologies for not having posted for so long. We arrived in Adelaide 28th July but have only had intermittant access to the internet. Technically we don't have access at the moment either but I've managed to hack into my neighbours broadband!!! Before I begin, let me make it clear that these are MY thoughts and impressions and it's different for everyone. We found things a bit hard to begin with because we were travelling with a 3 year old and a 20 month old so it was bound to be a bit fraught!! The flights over were a nightmare to be honest, we took our car seats onto the plane with us as we knew the kids would be more comfortable and sleep better (wrrrrrrrong!!) but it meant we had to carry them round Heathrow and again at KL before dumping them finally in Adelaide. The kids didn't sleep particularly well and the youngest kicked the seat of the poor man in front of us for seven solid hours from KL to Adelaide despite my every attempt to stop him! When we finally landed I had to apologise to every passenger in our vicinity!! I no longer have a fear of flying - just a fear of flying with children. To say we were shell shocked when we landed would be the understatement of the year and it lasted for at least two weeks. I think I can say hand on heart, it was touch and go whether we'd stay or not. We had little sleep and we were dragging the kids around looking at possible places to live and buying bits and pieces that we needed and they were bored rigid. At the end of the second week though, things started to drop into place. Richie found a job, we bought a car and, best of all, we found the perfect house at an open. We put in an offer that evening and it was accepted a few hours later. We finally moved into our new place 14 September so we're busy unpacking boxes and slapping on paint.! Our house is in Woodcroft which isn't wildly expensive but it's a really nice area. The streets are clean, there's no litter and I've yet to find any dogmess on the pavements!

So, after nearly two months things are looking pretty good for the Monaghans. The children go to a local nursery two mornings a week which they love, they have swimming lessons and our daughter has started ballet lessons as well which she absolutely loves. Having spent the last three years as a tomboy, suddenly she's a laydee!!! Best of all we've made some lovely, lovely new friends (are you reading this Judi and Donna????) who've made things so much easier for us.

I absolutely love waking up in the morning and the sun is shining and we've another lovely day to look forward to. The beach is a ten minute drive away and the roads are a dream, traffic jams are pretty much unheard of. Everything is on a grid so it's pretty hard to get lost! Shop staff are helpful and pleasant and they pack all of your shopping for you!!! Marmite is ridiculously expensive and vegemite is disgusting!

So, it was hard - very hard - at the beginning but now we all love it here. For those of you still waiting, be patient, it will happen. Adelaide isn't for everyone and it isn't exactly what I thought it would be but The Monaghans are officially very happy thank you!!

Best wishes to all of you, I promise to post more often in future (so long as my new neighbour doesn't realise I'm hacking....)

Liz

Guest lastboyscout

Really happy you`ve settled in nicely and enjoying it :D

Message to Rich though- did he follow up on that blokes details for a job, and Villa are responsible for getting Mourinho the sack and Brucie is next after we whack the Blues in October :P;)

Guest dglamoore

Hi Liz

Great post to read - it is not always easy to get things started in the beginning and so glad things are working well for you now. Hopefully things will continue to slot into place for you in your new lives here :cute: Friends do make a lot of difference to how you see things when you get here!!!!

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Marmite is ridiculously expensive and vegemite is disgusting!

Hi Liz,

Is it different from the vegemite you get over here? :shocked:It says 'made in Oz' and it tastes.:nah: But I will deffo have to bring a suitcase packed with Marmite when I come over. I shall drop you off a few jars to say thanks for the warning.;)

Fabby post by the way.

Pete

Guest stufi1997
:notworthy: Great post, i love honesty. flying with kids is always a nightmare so long haul must be soul destroying...well done.Friends will make a difference and that always takes time. chin up though the worst is past. good luck Stu.:D

Glad to hear you are settling now.It can be so hard and confusing at first

Hi Liz,

Is it different from the vegemite you get over here? :shocked:It says 'made in Oz' and it tastes.:nah: But I will deffo have to bring a suitcase packed with Marmite when I come over. I shall drop you off a few jars to say thanks for the warning.;)

Fabby post by the way.

Pete

I became accustomed to Vegemite....................then my lovely bank manageress gave me a pot of Marmite that a friend brought back for here.Now I'm nurturing the last in the pot + the Coleman's mustard..........:unsure:

Oooh I feel so honoured to get a mention in your post!! Thats made my day!

I'm so happy for you guys. You all seem a lot happier now you have put down some roots and bought a house.

Big Hugs hun,:cute:

Judi x

Ooh Lisa! Did you say you can get Hellmans Mayo here? Which supermarket, tell me quick! We've gone round Drakes, Woolworths and Coles but haven't found it yet and that's something else we really miss! Django, I shall hold you to your promise of marmite! Rory dropped my last jar on the floor and it was touch and go whether to lick it up off the floor or not.... Haven't bought another jar yet though, we've just taken out one mortgage and I'm not sure the bank will approve another one yet!!!!! :D:D:D I don't know if the vegemite is the same as in the uk or not, I just know it tastes yak!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I rambled on a bit didn't I?? I should have just said "Tough start, love it now!"

Liz

Hi and welcome to Adelaide! Not sure if you know but all the libaries have free internet access, sometimes it's better to book your time as they do have busy periods, I know it's not the same as in your own home, but at least you can check emails etc!

Hello everyone! First of all, apologies for not having posted for so long. We arrived in Adelaide 28th July but have only had intermittant access to the internet. Technically we don't have access at the moment either but I've managed to hack into my neighbours broadband!!! Before I begin, let me make it clear that these are MY thoughts and impressions and it's different for everyone. We found things a bit hard to begin with because we were travelling with a 3 year old and a 20 month old so it was bound to be a bit fraught!! The flights over were a nightmare to be honest, we took our car seats onto the plane with us as we knew the kids would be more comfortable and sleep better (wrrrrrrrong!!) but it meant we had to carry them round Heathrow and again at KL before dumping them finally in Adelaide. The kids didn't sleep particularly well and the youngest kicked the seat of the poor man in front of us for seven solid hours from KL to Adelaide despite my every attempt to stop him! When we finally landed I had to apologise to every passenger in our vicinity!! I no longer have a fear of flying - just a fear of flying with children. To say we were shell shocked when we landed would be the understatement of the year and it lasted for at least two weeks. I think I can say hand on heart, it was touch and go whether we'd stay or not. We had little sleep and we were dragging the kids around looking at possible places to live and buying bits and pieces that we needed and they were bored rigid. At the end of the second week though, things started to drop into place. Richie found a job, we bought a car and, best of all, we found the perfect house at an open. We put in an offer that evening and it was accepted a few hours later. We finally moved into our new place 14 September so we're busy unpacking boxes and slapping on paint.! Our house is in Woodcroft which isn't wildly expensive but it's a really nice area. The streets are clean, there's no litter and I've yet to find any dogmess on the pavements!

So, after nearly two months things are looking pretty good for the Monaghans. The children go to a local nursery two mornings a week which they love, they have swimming lessons and our daughter has started ballet lessons as well which she absolutely loves. Having spent the last three years as a tomboy, suddenly she's a laydee!!! Best of all we've made some lovely, lovely new friends (are you reading this Judi and Donna????) who've made things so much easier for us.

I absolutely love waking up in the morning and the sun is shining and we've another lovely day to look forward to. The beach is a ten minute drive away and the roads are a dream, traffic jams are pretty much unheard of. Everything is on a grid so it's pretty hard to get lost! Shop staff are helpful and pleasant and they pack all of your shopping for you!!! Marmite is ridiculously expensive and vegemite is disgusting!

So, it was hard - very hard - at the beginning but now we all love it here. For those of you still waiting, be patient, it will happen. Adelaide isn't for everyone and it isn't exactly what I thought it would be but The Monaghans are officially very happy thank you!!

Best wishes to all of you, I promise to post more often in future (so long as my new neighbour doesn't realise I'm hacking....)

Liz

Just a quick heads up for all the Brits heading over or new arrivals, Foodland at Seaford stocks some imported Brit foods. I know if definately does Paxo stuffing!! Aussie stuffing is Yuk!! Not sure about Marmite but assume you should find it there. Also there is a British sweet shop on Christies Beach Road, sells skips, proper Cadburys etc....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest russell 12

aaahhh Liz it does sound like things were dead tough for you at the beginning but you seemed to have settled nicely. I know what you mean about it being so clean. I was in Adelaide for 10 weeks earlier this year (on placement at the RAH) and was AMAZED at how beautiful and clean it was. Can't wait to get back over. Was much greener than i expected too..stunning..cried my heart out when i came back home!

Have you been to central market yet? oohhh i loved it there.:D

Well Liz

Guest Django
Django, I shall hold you to your promise of marmite! Rory dropped my last jar on the floor and it was touch and go whether to lick it up off the floor or not....

I for one would have had to lick it up. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

We have a 'to do' list and marmite has been added.;)

Pete