2 Years in.....grab a coffee....

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Well where do i start.

We arrived here on my birthday, the 17th April 2008, landed at Adelaide airport with 4 kids, 20 or so items of luggage around $12K and no-one was there to meet us.

got a mini-bus to pick us up from the airport and take us to out 2 weeks furnished rental, we had no jobs, no car, no rental....we got hold of an old Ford Laser which ( touch wood ) is still goin strong and i use it for work 80kms round trip every day.

I secured a job toolmaking, i was in touch with alot of companies from the yUK and had been to see alot of these guys as soon as we arrived but some of the money these guys were offering was frankly a joke, after around 10 days, and on the same day we secured a fantastic rental, an old double brick house, 1 road back from the beach, life was looking good.....

As i found a job first Kat then stayed at home with the kids etc etc...we have had some issues with the big kids some of which i wnt go to mention...but it has involved the police and the legal sysytem here in Oz, the little kids have settled in well and Seb is turning intio a proper little Aussie dude.

I have been in and out of work whilst we have been here and have had a quite a range of jobs from Roadie to DJ, from Sales rep to working at Bunnings, now i am back toolmaking and loving it!!!!!

During a prolonged time of unemployment, and as soon as lil man started school, (chef)Kat went to work for a very well known restaurant in The Vale, she loved it there but the hours were so crap night times and no weekends to ourselves, Kat never really had a life....

Kat now has an amazing job - Barista trianer for massive Aussie company and she totally loves it.....the change in my babe was like having a new woman around...amazing.

We are also in the middle of building our own house, thanks to the Government giving us $25k....ok its been a roller coaster regarding the house but we WILL get there. Thankfully our landlords have been great and are letting us go on a rolling monthly agreement til we move out.

We've had vistors, both mothers, horrile when they go, Kats mum came back and has stayed - lives with us which is great, Kats bro n family have been, convinced his partner to move here, so once theyre here Kats mum can go for her parent visa.

Family goodbyes are terrible - weve had it bought home to us that it could be the last goodbye (its not just grandparents that pass away- which is sadly what we worried about/assumed when leaving the yUK) Kat went back for her nephews funeral in Nov 08.

On the whole we are loving it out here and have the MIL staying with us too which helps out so much when it comes to the kids, the biggest thing is it enables us both to work and work on achieving our dream....

Well thats about it guys....

We have also made some pretty amazing friends whilst we have been here, these guys have become more like family to us, we share the great times and the bad times - this is a crucial thing to to do as soon as you can when you get here some go onto being family and some are just acquintances but all in all its about building the networks of people to share stuff with.

Work hard, its worth it......life is the same here as in the yUK you still have to goto work, the kids still get upto mischief....but if you want it you can get it as long as you are willing to put in the hard yards.

Heres to the next however many years, and i hope that we have been of some help and assistance/help/inspiration to some guys whilst we have been on board this super special roller coaster....getting the visa is the easy bit!

Heaps Good......

Guest caoimhe

Congratulations on getting this far Martin and I'm sure with more hard work and determination yourself, Kat and the kids will continue to thrive here. Good luck