mozzies

DAVID.CHRISTINE

Yup they have been having a field day on me - have been spraying insecticide in the house wildly - not good for my health but worse for theirs. Cant even figure where they are coming from - checked around the house but no standing water.

and they are persistent - you slap at them they dart away and come back, they seem to thrive on bug spray (you have to empty about half a can before they decide to curl up their wings and die) and they have 1000s of family members who all love to come along to the funeral and have a bite afterwards.

Guest kfoley0681

hi have you tried getting a fluro bug lights they are attracted to the light and it zaps them its great when it sizzles! they are a nuisence i get bitten all the time and have been in hospital 3 times! if ya out side put some deet replelant on and mozzie coils!

HI is anyone else getting bitten by these little critters ,had a few late nights in the

outdoors ,thought the season was over ,

cant evan water the garden without being bitten

I have been here for 20 years and here are my conclusions:

- There is no season. I get bitten just as much in winter as in summer. More in fact, because it is darker for longer!

- They will come out in the daytime on overcast days, and in cool shady spots even on sunny days.

- Insect sprays work very well, but as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you miss a single patch of skin, that's where you will get bitten. I spray and then rub so that no patch of skin is missed (including nose, ears, neck, feet etc etc). I do avoid the lips though, as it tastes vile!

- Most sprays are about the same, but I prefer the one in the clear bottle with the orange lid (can't remember the name right now - is it "Off"?) as it doesn't smell too strong.

- Burn mosquito coils or use citronella candles when eating outdoors - but you still need to spray.

- Never leave screen doors open.

I found this article (from the US I think) quite interesting, for those of you who have heard that Avon's Skin-so-soft works - according to the article, it doesn't! Mosquito Repellents: What Works

Guest nishman

In addition to the list Bill's given, a nice smokey brazier/chimenia helps too.

I always get bitten when watering at dusk - the favourite spot is usually the lower ankle (the bit that wasn't sprayed). I got bitten on the chest the other night - it must have crawled in or bitten through my polo shirt!

Guest hel&sam

The husband and eldest son seem to be particularly tasty, especially the husband (no accounting for taste! lol) i've got both of them drinking a glass of schwepps tonic water and taking vitamin b complex tablets, i know they're old wives tales but theres something in it cos the son hasnt been bitten more than once or twice since they started and the husband has been bitten less. i'm hoping they dont bite all year round because the husband reacts particularly nastily to them.

HI is anyone else getting bitten by these little critters ,had a few late nights in the

outdoors ,thought the season was over ,

cant evan water the garden without being bitten

I used to get that late at night watering some plants. I used to wear trousers and long sleeves and repellent and that worked.

Cooler

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moonraker1959

Well having lived in Adelaide for years and travelled the world including India (think Malaria!!!)we use "Extreme Protection"wipes.Like the facial wipes but they are inpregnated with repellant.Always worked for us.We also burn citronella incense both inside and outside and that works very well too!

Guest Viv75

Hi All,

Having lived in Oz for 12 years, going back next year after being back in the Uk for a couple of years I can offer some friendly advice.

Burn Lavender in an oil burner in your rooms, essential oil lavender. The mozzies hate it and smells nicer then mortein.

Tea tree oil, essential oil or pak fah oil (Asian White Flower Oil should get in China Town) is great for bites. Tea Tree is probably more well known but is very effective as it's a natural antiseptic. You just dap it on, one drop is enough.

Put the lavender oil on you too as the mozzies will stay away. Worked for me anyways.

Spray your rooms before you go to bed with mortein in every corner, close the door for about 30 minutes and should work, if you don't have oil burners again this is what I do. Mossquite coils are quite good too. You can burn them in the garden.

They also are attracted to black clothing.

Lastly the spray called "Off" is very good. I used to use this in Hong Kong but you can get in Auz too.

Hope this helps.

Viv :)