Our 10 Week Update !!!

Boxertony

I have already put up our weekly update, now it's our ten week update. Jane the Mrs is still working really hard at the North Calvary Hospital on the Cancer Ward. She is really enjoying it and staff are great with her and management constantly provide her with compliments, which we are really pleased with. I have just completed my first week at De Poi Consulting, as a Transitional Rehabilitation Consultant in Workcover. very demanding and target driven but thats the way I like it anyway. I had to wait 7 weeks to start, with the waiting for the police clearance and skills being assessed and registering with Workcover SA governing body. Great to do just 9 - 5pm job, no weekends, no shifts. Happy ! In my spare time I have now took up golf, so Nathan and I play that when we can. A 2 mins walk to the Regency golf course - sorted!

Nathan my Son (21) has been waiting for FA clearance so he can play Professional Soccer for Adelaide City, when it did happen, he missed the signing date, so we put an appeal in and he won this week, so he can sign as a professional player. Only today (Sat 24th April 2010) he played is second game for Adelaide City and scored 4 goals. In addition Nathan is working for the owner and director of Adelaide City at Best Bricks and Pavers. Also he has gained some good friends around his age, so he has his drinking mates too, all of the friends he has gained are from this excellent website. Problem they all live down South (Little Britain regions lol).

My daughter Shannon (17) has been having some hairdressing trials, hopefully the latest one at the Underground Haircutters on Rundal Mall will offer her a position. Shannon is still contacting her boyfriend in England and costing a bomb on phone bills and she is still determined to go back to him when she hits 18 years old. One year to go though. She has gained two nice girl mates but they also live down South so it is difficult to meet up with them. Shannon is lot better than what I anticpated before we left the UK. Underneath I think she actually likes Adelaide!

My daughter Charlotte (11) is totally sorted, she has a boyfriend of 6 weeks, loving school has gained a lots of mates from school to hang around with.

They are the good bits...............

The only thing what is bad is the problems I have been having back in the UK regarding my property. I rented it out to a 58 year old lady who had custody of her two small grandchildren. To cut story short, she did a runner, did not pay any rent for two months, took all my wood flooring, furniture, boiler, light fittings and blinds and even my massive shed from the garden, someone has smashed in the back patio doors in and also tried to get in the front door and damaged that. Someone has dumped loads of rubbish in my garden, i.e. doors, mattresses, carpets and lots more stuff. I got an estate agent round to view my home and they stated that I have lost about £30,000 in the value of the house. Basically it would cost about £10,000 to get back up to standard for it to sell on top of that.

It has been a really hard decision because I am extremely fond of my home back in Newcastle upon Tyne, but I have decided to hand it back to the Halifax bank who I have the mortgage with, and cut my losses. Yes I will lose money, but really think about it, maybe it is for the best. My life is fantastic now, since we have been in Adelaide. We are all settled and working, new hobbies and friends. I need to think of my future in Adelaide and I dont want to be at the other end of the world and have stress regarding my home back in the UK and the extra expense each month. It looks like people are aware that the house is now empty and we live in Australia, so people are just using my home as a dumping ground, and I think it is a matter of time before the windows start getting smashed week in week out. I really wanted the capital in my home to set us up nicely here in Adelaide, so gutted for that, but thinking about it, we have done very good since we have been here without the extra money from the sale of my home, so lets just continue.

The police got involved and found all my stuff, through the woman who rented my home. But they will not prosecute her because they stated that it is a civil matter and my tenant stated that I sold her everything to her. Yes I can get her done for breaking the lease, but a solicitor said to me - you would only get a few pounds a week off her as she is now on benefits.

Overall I am happy and really pleased that as a family we have coped and really enjoyed our time here in Adelaide. What made me give my home back to the bank was this question I asked myself. "If the Austrlaian Immigration told me when I started my visa application that you can gain your visa right now if you give your house back to the bank and move over to Adelaide". "Would you"? My answer would of been a big fat YES!

Guest shella_n

Great post Tony, although the house renting thing fills me with dread as we are going to be renting our house out too. It was a big descision whether to rent or sell but with the low value of the pound we decided to rent (as we havent got that much equity in the house) and we are hoping to sell in a year or too and heopfully the £ will have picked up by then (?).

Youve got a great attitude to it all though. :notworthy:

Michelle

Wow what a horrible experience :wideeyed:

That said, you are taking it well and it's good to see such a positive attitude! Shows great strength I'm not sure I'd be so calm.

All the best going forward, now the house is gone I'm sure it's a huge weight off your mind!

We've only just put our house on the market, wont get much out of it but if I could get a visa in exchange for giving my house back to the bank I would!! It's not all about money after all (though it helps!)...

Best wishes

Von xx

Guest The Dimmocks

Wow those 10 weeks have flown by. Cant believe it been 10 weeks since we landed too.

Glad you settling in well and finally started your job.

Will have to have another get together soon.

Michelle x

Guest joolz

God that is shocking about your house!! How can people be so bad? I just don't get it!!!!!:realmad:

So sorry about it all...but pleased that you are settling in well and looking forward, positive mental attitude is all you can have!! Well done for being so brave about it....

Hi Tony & Jane, So glad you are still loving Adelaide so much! Thanks for making us so welcome it really helped the kids get a feel of things better and was good to speak to your and your friends about their experiences of the big move! Keep up the up-dates! Liz, Andy Hollie & Harrison

Guest Admar72

Wow ten weeks gone by already!

You guys have really 'been through the mill' with one thing and another so it's really nice to hear that your all happy and doing well in Adelaide. No doubt your positive attitude helps. Sorry to hear about your Blighty home it just goes to show that there are some complete arses out there but i'm sure you'll go on to have a more fullfilled life than 'the old bag' that did a runner.

We're all counting down the days now before we leave the UK and just pray that there's not going to be anymore volcanic eruptions!

Maria & Adam

Guest caoimhe

OMG:shocked:what an awful thing to happen with the house. I don't know how you can walk away but I admire you for doing so, your determinaton to make a better life for yourself and you family is admirable and I know your journey here hasn't been an easy one. I hope you continue to flourish in Oz.

BTW regarding the big phone bills check out these phone cards they are really cheap and I couldn't do without it

Australia Phone Card | Buy Phone Cards | Phone Card Rates | Best Phone Card | Cheap STD National Calls

Guest Django

Great post Tony. Shame about your house but so right to look forward and not back. You have a new life to enjoy so why worry about the old one. Hats off for your attitude and I hope your daughter rethinks her long term plans over the next year.

Guest kangomik

Tony, and family.

Your post's are always so positive. You have it sorted fella.

Sorry to hear about what happened back in the UK, it's terrible,:wacko: but it looks like you have a good angle on things.

Will you post at 6 months? i can't wait:)

Tony, with form like that I am sure Nathan will get promoted from the reserves to the first team very soon. Scoring 4 goals is good going, even though the team they played were 2 divisions lower. I hope he keeps it up, it's always good to see new talent in the Federation clubs.

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi tony, dont know how i missed this post. Glad things are working out here for you, but gutted to hear about your probs in the UK. Must be a big weight off of your mind now the house has gone.