Cockroaches and spiders

Guest Gina & Alan

Guest Gina & Alan

Hi all can nany one advise, we have just moved into our rental in Hallett Cove a week ago and we have an infestation of cockoaches , fleas and a number of spiders, we have informed agent who came round with a couple of cans of surface spray, which has not really helped, up until now we have also caught 4 white tail spiders one of which was on my sons bed, On top of all that the kitchen units are rotten and blistered and bugs are coming out of the crumbling wood all the time, we are afraid to prepare food without cleaning and washing surfaces, pans and plates, When we looked at the house we only had 10 mins to look and make a decision, therefore we could not see the horrors ahead, Our son is sleeping with us and afraid to go to his own bed, we need to get out of ths place as soon as poss but the agent will not give us our bond back, It is hard enough coming to other side of of the world but we need to be settled so i can concentrate on finding work.

Look forward to your advice

Alan and Gina

Guest willfam

I would contact the agent again and get them to come and have a look at the rotting timber in the kitchen. I would do this in writing (and keep a copy) ask for the house to be treated by a Pest Exterminator. If they refuse to do anything then you can contact Residential Tenancies Tribunal or maybe Office of Consumer and Business Affairs.

There are a few members on here who work within the Real Estate industry so they might be able to give you some more info.

Go to supermarket and get a pack of bombs let them off in each room leave them, go out for a couple of hours and most thing will be dead when you get back.That will get you by just now Just pester the agent by phone every day till he send someone out to spray.You will never get rid of all spiders there evey where here if you get a huntsman in keep it that eats all the others

Guest Carolandcraig

As well as the info above, I would get the Aussie Mozzie Fly co to come and defumigate, costs around $150 depending on size of the house, did a really good job of our house and we havent seen a spider, ant or any creepy crawlies since.

What a horrid situation to be in, i know for a fact icouldn't cope with that at all..

Mortien bombs work really well, they cost about $20 for a pack and as previously mentioned you set them off and go out for a couple of hours. they continue to work for anything up to 3 months and i use them at least 3 times a year, thankfully we rarely see anything other than the occasional small spinder before the Mortien has had chance to work. Do you have any contact details for the home owner? I'd be sending them emails as well as the agent, demanding something be done sooner rather than later.

Good luck

As well as the info above, I would get the Aussie Mozzie Fly co to come and defumigate, costs around $150 depending on size of the house, did a really good job of our house and we havent seen a spider, ant or any creepy crawlies since.

Have had Aussie Mozzie recommended to us before and he should be able to help. Not sure if it's up to you to pay for this but I would think so. It's really worrying when the kids get upset. Hope you can get the situation sorted if not try and find some where else if you can.

Guest PhilC

If you have a standard letting agreement with the agent (you most likely do), they have to supply the house in a safe and clean condition. Take a look at this:

Accommodation Service | Tenants Rights and Responsibilities

I'd start quoting the Landlords section to the letting agent, particularly points 2 & 3:

2. provide the premises in a clean and reasonable state;

3. maintain and repair the premises;

There's also a number to call at the bottom of the page for free advice:

Residential Tenancies

The Tenancies Branch of the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs is there to provide you with free advice and assistance about any aspect of renting. They are located at 91 Grenfell St or phone 8204 9544.

In the meantime, get some mortien cans from the supermarket and bomb the house asap. Your best course of action would be to try and move out and get your bond back and move into somewhere more suitable, but these things can take time and that may not be possible.

cheers

Phil

We too are in Hallett Cove and moved into this rental house in March. Albeit the house is only 6 yrs old, I brought a 3 pack of "Bombs" which everyone advised us to get. You can get them in Coles, Woolworths etc. We let all 3 off in the house and went out for a couple of hours but it lingers for days for the spiders but you can't smell it and it will kill any little creatures who survived the initial bomb". If you need a clean place to come for a coffee and a natter, you are more than welcome.

Tania, Mark and Emily

Hi all can nany one advise, we have just moved into our rental in Hallett Cove a week ago and we have an infestation of cockoaches , fleas and a number of spiders, we have informed agent who came round with a couple of cans of surface spray, which has not really helped, up until now we have also caught 4 white tail spiders one of which was on my sons bed, On top of all that the kitchen units are rotten and blistered and bugs are coming out of the crumbling wood all the time, we are afraid to prepare food without cleaning and washing surfaces, pans and plates, When we looked at the house we only had 10 mins to look and make a decision, therefore we could not see the horrors ahead, Our son is sleeping with us and afraid to go to his own bed, we need to get out of ths place as soon as poss but the agent will not give us our bond back, It is hard enough coming to other side of of the world but we need to be settled so i can concentrate on finding work.

Look forward to your advice

Alan and Gina

You could also mention to the agent that you are thinking of putting their details on the website. You are not going to criticise them but merely explaining the true circumstances. Hopefully they will not want this as it would deter other people from using them and will be more accommodating. Fingers crossed.

We too are in Hallett Cove and moved into this rental house in March. Albeit the house is only 6 yrs old, I brought a 3 pack of "Bombs" which everyone advised us to get. You can get them in Coles, Woolworths etc. We let all 3 off in the house and went out for a couple of hours but it lingers for days for the spiders but you can't smell it and it will kill any little creatures who survived the initial bomb". If you need a clean place to come for a coffee and a natter, you are more than welcome.

Tania, Mark and Emily

Guest Guest75
You could also mention to the agent that you are thinking of putting their details on the website. You are not going to criticise them but merely explaining the true circumstances. Hopefully they will not want this as it would deter other people from using them and will be more accommodating. Fingers crossed.

OOooooo - threaten but don't do!!

I can feel a lawsuit coming on!!:shocked::shocked:

Guest clare

sorry have no words of advice coz in uk, just wanted you to know that we really feel 4u that must be awful, keep on at the agent!:arghh: