Broadband query

Guest garlic--bread

Guest garlic--bread

Hi all, I've just been talking to my sis who lives in Morphett Vale and we got on about broadband, as I'm due to sign up to 50mb through virgin (+tv+fone+HD box=£33 per month), and she says she is on 512k equivalent broadband plus foxtel and phone for like $100 per month !! Is this real?

If I was to come out there what kind of broadband speeds would I be loking at and how much?

cheers :)

Probably, broadband is quite expensive out here and also very hit and miss as to whether you can get ADSL or not. We're in a 16 year old house in Woodcroft and can't get it our last 25 year old house in Morphett Vale had it. Something to do with pair gain on the telephone lines ........ someone else will explain lol

We also cannot get wireless as apparently we are down in 'a dip' and ISP's can't guarantee we would get anything better than the dial up we are on.

There's a website called whirlpool or bcwhirlpool that will help you. Sorry don't have link on work puter!

Guest cafehag

If you can get broadband, it's still not cheap. The best ISDN deal I could find is $50 a month, telstra is $20 a month, and Foxtel HD is $100/month.

Over £100 in total, compared to less than half that in the UK. But it'll come down in time, just as it did in the UK.

Still not moving back though!

Guest garlic--bread

Yeah, I don't blame you not moving back, the UK is on it's knees. I'm visiting Aus again early next year and gonna do a reccie methinks unless something alters here in the meantime. Would love to just up sticks and come over there. Incidentally my sister corrected me and says she pays around $240 a month for her bundle not $100 lol :) I was only trying to find out as my sons do a bit of gaming online etc so it was more for their benefit than mine. Gotta keep them sweet if they are gonna come along!

Guest Carolandcraig

The type or quality of broadband is effected by a number of issues, how close your are to the exchange, if the exchange has enough ports etc etc. I live quite away from our exchange and am able to get adsl 2+ which is very stable although because of the distance its not superfast. Ive gone through telstra but am waiting for adam to get a free port so i can go on there Naked broadband, this will save me over 60 dollars a month, this is still a little more expensive compared to the UK, but the lifestyle more than compensates for this.