Does anyone know about registering a birth?

Guest Vicks&Stu

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hi all

We are due to have our first baby in the next 10 days or so here in Adelaide.

As the Aussie system works the baby will have the same status as us which is permanent residents - but he/she will not be an Australian citizen.

That's no problem but i was wondering if anyone knows about registering the birth.

I know we will have to register the birth here - but do we have to also register the birth in the UK as well? I am just a little confused! I know the baby will have UK citizenship and will be entitled to a UK passport which we will need to apply for - but if anyone has any experience of how to go about doing this or knows who i need to contact i would really appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Vicks & Stu.

Guest kerfumph
Hi all

As the Aussie system works the baby will have the same status as us which is permanent residents - but he/she will not be an Australian citizen.

Many Thanks

Vicks & Stu.

That's just wrong.

The birth registration forms are given to you at the hospital.

Guest mandmick

Hi

I recently put a thread up about the baby's staus as we have PR and since looked into it on line. The baby will get citizenship if you're both on PR visas and the baby is born in Australia.

I haven't looked into the registration yet but I'm assuming the forms will be given at the hospital.

I will ask at my ante natal appointment.

Where are you having your baby?

I'm due my second in 5 weeks!

Haven't really met any mums to be yet!

If you're in need of a cuppa and a chat just let me know!

Mandy

Guest familygood

I am due in 3 weeks and have been told they give you the forms in hospital. I started a thread about this some months ago. Good luck to you both!

I had my little girl here 2 years ago, and as we are permanent residents she got Australian Citizenship. They gave me all the forms I needed to register her at the hospital. You even get a choice as to what the certificate looks like! (for a fee of course)

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I was told that the system has changed and just because the baby is born here it still doesn't give them citizenship - but i will query this with immigration then as it seems we may have been misinformed! It would be great if the baby does get citizenship.

Hopefully then the hospital will give us the forms and we can get everything sorted out then.

We are having the baby at the Women's and Childrens hospital and they seem to be very good.

Mandy I'll pm you as it would be good to have a coffee and a chat.

Vicks & Stu.

Hi, Just found this on the Citizenship site, hope it helps

Whether you are an Australian citizen by birth depends on the date of your birth.

Most children born in Australia before 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens by birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer of another country.

Children born after that date are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

Children born in Australia to parents who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents, automatically acquire Australian citizenship on their 10th birthday if they have lived most of their life in Australia.

I had a baby on Sunday 2nd May at FMC. Really happy with the care I received, I had to have an emergency caesarean and came home yesterday. I was given an orange parent pack containing forms to apply for the birth certificate, family assistance and medicare. My husband and I are permanent residents and I think the baby will be the same, can't see any info in the pack yet but I have only have read through it. I will post again if I find anything out.

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hi everyone

Thanks again for your replies and information.

I just thought i would give you an update as i did speak to immigration again yesterday and if the parents are permanent residents and the baby is born here then the baby is an Australian citizen - which is good!

Also i did ask about registering the birth in England too. As British citizens the baby is entitled to dual nationality i was informed that to get this you just need to also register the birth with the British High Consolate in Canberra. Also if you want a British passport for the baby then you can also get this from the same place. I haven't actually spoken to them but this is their website UK in Australia - the British High Commission in Canberra

Good luck to you all with babies due soon and congratulations to those who have just had them!

Vicks & Stu.

You don't have to register your baby's birth with the British High commission. As Aus is a Commonwealth country the Brits accept it for citizenship purposes. When you want a passport for your baby you just fill out the forms in the usual way. Your baby born in Aus will be British by descent which means they have the same rights as a Brit born baby except they can not pass on their citizenship unless their children are born in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pat n Jo

I just wanted to say I had our baby girl at the end of Jan at the Womens and Childrens hospital. Can't speak highly enough of the care and treatment we both had, would certainly recommend them. Also, they do give you the forms in a pack to register the birth, the midwife attending the birth has to sign it, then you just send it off. They also give you forms for birth certs. I also understood that babies born in Aus will be Aus citizens? we just have to sort out passports for her now.

Hope all goes well for those of you about to give birth. If anyone around Henley Beach area has a young one and fancies a coffee sometime, give me a shout! would love to meet more mums :)

Jo and Lily xx

Guest MSTO

Both of my children were born at FMC, really fantastic care. Second one was born prem and the care received was great. Anyway you get all the forms at the hospital...including the baby bonus one:)

Our first boy was born whilst we were temp residents, he has a SA birth certificate and we never registered his birth in the UK, we just applied for a British Passport. He is a citizen now though as we are.

Our second son was born whilst we were permanent residents he got automatic Australian Citizenship. We have just applied for both his Australian and British passport and again never registered his birth in the UK.

Guest Pat n Jo

(Forgot to mention in previous post that we have PR visas)

We have just applied for both his Australian and British passport and again never registered his birth in the UK.

Do you have to apply for both or was this your choice to have 2 passports?

cheers

Guest MSTO

It was our choice to have 2 passports....He is Australian so you cannot take that away from him plus he needs a Aussie Passport to get back into the country either that or pay for a PR visa to be put into his British Passport which I think is $260. The passport was only $104. Basically I wanted him to have a British Passport as he is entitled to it so why not. Plus you dont know if things will change in the future and as he was not born in the UK who is to say that someone might turn round so so what your parents were born in the UK you werent. Now that he has it, it cannot be taken away.:)

Guest k8bug79
It was our choice to have 2 passports....He is Australian so you cannot take that away from him plus he needs a Aussie Passport to get back into the country either that or pay for a PR visa to be put into his British Passport which I think is $260. The passport was only $104. Basically I wanted him to have a British Passport as he is entitled to it so why not. Plus you dont know if things will change in the future and as he was not born in the UK who is to say that someone might turn round so so what your parents were born in the UK you werent. Now that he has it, it cannot be taken away.:)

Also for practica reasons you don't have to pass through immigration at either end, enter UK on UK passport and Oz on Oz passport

Plus some countries you need a visa for if you are on an Oz passport where you don't on a Uk passport, most of Europe for eg. My fil is an dual citien but never had either passport (came over here on his mums passport) and he now lives in france so wanted his UK passport otherwise he would have to get a visa. ut when he eventually visits us in OZ he will need to apply for an OZ passport as won't be entitle dto apply for a visa as a citizen