Road rage

Guest Ric & Paula

Guest mayjess
Had a truly terrifying experience yesterday evening which I wondered had anyone else experienced or was it our own bad luck.we were visiting friends in Salisbury Heights (and I am not calling areas just setting a scene!),had passed Mawson Lakes when we heard constant beeping and 2 bikers driving alongside us.We have only been here 3 months and only had the car 2 weeks but hubby was unaware he'd made a mistake.Anyway the bloke on our left began screaming at hubby he was a f****8g b***8 you get the picture,if we didn't have kids he'd F******G kill him,and began spitting at the car.Buddy biker on the left didn,t do or say anything neither did pillion on the guys bike.Our kids were terrified,youngest (4)didn't want to get back in the car in case the bad man hurt daddy,when we left our friends later in the evening.One lady stopped at the next set of lights to check we were ok,had tried to get his rego to call police.As I said not calling areas,we were genuinely terrified most importantly so were the kids.I guess I'm just offloading as I am still shaken a day later,is this common?

Oh My God, thats horrifying,, hope it isnt common,, you must be so shaken up and your poor hubby and kids,, hopefully it was a one off.

Mayjess

hope your alright Paula & Ric, I know you were looking forward to travelling about now that you've got wheels.

That sounds awful we havn't experience anything like you've described, must be worrying with children in car aswell.

There does seem to be a lot of tail gaiting, and undertaking, there really are some really bad drivers in SA, just be cautious of them.

don't let it put you off hun xxxxx

Guest glitter

Thats awful. I'm up that way all the time for parties and drive that road at all times of the day and night. I see loads of bikes parked outside one of the hotels on the way up but have never experienced anything like that. Definatley a one off I would say (not that that helps you much).

Hope you can forget about it. I had an experience of someone trying to steal my handbag from under the public toilet door I was using in a shopping Mall- anyway to anyone not here yet who is reading this, there is crime here in Adelaide, just like anywhere, although its generally not as high as in the UK, it still exists, ask any of the British Cops here!

Take Care Paula. X

Guest moonraker1959

Thats a pretty awful experience,not just for you but for your kids too!I recall a couple of years ago my twin had a pretty scary experience.She was pulling out of a T junction in Greenwith,she must of lost concentration because she accidently pulled out in front of some biker guy.About half a km up the road,the biker swerved in front of her,forcing her to pull off the road.The biker guy just sat on his bike staring at her for 5 minutes!She was terrified.She made sure all the doors were locked,but the guy did'nt attempt to get off his bike.There are some real knob heads around riding bikes.I hope this was a one off experience for you but always ensure you have a mobile handy just incase.

Guest Guest75

Really sorry to hear this ,how awful when you had the kids with you.

Those !@#$%$#! were on drugs I'd reckon.

Not a regular thing I'd say,just very bad luck.

Please don't let it ruin your confidence on the roads.

On the flip side I have met some incredibly helpful Aussies.

Guest Guest75
Similar thing happened to me in Glenelg. I reckon it's not as rare as some believe.

Jim

I reckon it's a numbers game.

The more driving you do the more chance of this happening.

Depend on where you live as well - we live in a very quiet suburb.

Guest needtogonow

The driving out here is shocking. My husband lets people out only to be beeped by other drivers. They drive slowly in the outside lanes and tailgait agressively all the time.

Has anybody taken their driving test over here as I would be interested to know what they actually teach? Spoken to many people from all over Australia who seem to think that the drivers from Adelaide are particularly worse then anywhere else.

The driving standard is particularly bad over here. The driving age is 16 and there is no real test. They have a sort of totting up of hours hence the P plates. They have to do so many hours with a full licence holder in with them then move from L to P, then it is a case of having this for a number of years before moving on to a full licence.

I know that it was a nasty experience and one that should not have happened but this sort of road rage behaviour happens everywhere in the world and I think it was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Put it behind you and just watch out for other drivers, mainly for your own safety.

It just goes to show how bad some drivers are when noting the amount of accidents that occur over here when the roads are straight and the speed limit is 60KM!!!

Guest Ric & Paula

Thanks to all for your support,we will put it behind us and move on,don't like confrontation like that,felt so worried for hubby and the children,but once again thanks to all for kind words

Had a truly terrifying experience yesterday evening which I wondered had anyone else experienced or was it our own bad luck.we were visiting friends in Salisbury Heights (and I am not calling areas just setting a scene!),had passed Mawson Lakes when we heard constant beeping and 2 bikers driving alongside us.We have only been here 3 months and only had the car 2 weeks but hubby was unaware he'd made a mistake.Anyway the bloke on our left began screaming at hubby he was a f****8g b***8 you get the picture,if we didn't have kids he'd F******G kill him,and began spitting at the car.Buddy biker on the left didn,t do or say anything neither did pillion on the guys bike.Our kids were terrified,youngest (4)didn't want to get back in the car in case the bad man hurt daddy,when we left our friends later in the evening.One lady stopped at the next set of lights to check we were ok,had tried to get his rego to call police.As I said not calling areas,we were genuinely terrified most importantly so were the kids.I guess I'm just offloading as I am still shaken a day later,is this common?

That's a terrible thing to happen to you & I hope you are recovering from the experience but sadly, whilst it's not an everyday occurrence, what happened to you doesn't surprise me. Adelaide seems to have a disproportionately high number of neanderthals and road rage/aggressive driving seems to be the norm for many drivers. Unfortunately they are everywhere & you have to have eyes in the back of your head when driving. Even bus drivers just pull out without a care causing me to brake heavily. I nearly got hit by a "P" plater the other day, he just pulled out without looking. I have started to use a few rules which seem to be working for me - the following should not be trusted on the roads:

P Platers

Bogans

Teens (especially when they have mates with them)

Really old cars

Cars with big exhausts

Utes

V8 anything

V6 anything

Anyone driving wearing a hat/cap

Buses

Commercial vehicles

Scooters

Cyclists

Bikers in shorts

& did I mention P Platers?

Driving out in the sticks is lovely, near empty roads but I find driving around Adelaide much more stressful than the UK. Give me the M6 any day rather than Main North, Main South etc etc. Adelaide makes the tossers in BMWs back home look good!!

It ain't going to change, it's part of the SA 'culture' so you just have to put up with it. Be extra careful if it's raining (they have no idea about driving in rain), or very hot (heat sends them more mental than usual).

If anyone tells you Adelaide drivers are fine, they will either be one of the people in the categories above, or have a guide dog.

I actually prefer driving out here than the UK, and thats because traffic isn't as heavy, the roads are clearly sign posted, I'd always be slighly nervy about driving in a big City like Cardiff or London, mainly because of the diff lanes and high volume of traffic, bumper to bumper, but here I find it much easier except for the idiot tail gaiters and that people pull out without warning and the Aussies seem to like to BURN OUT their tyres wtf is that all about.

I had a experience with a bikie back in Swansea not here when a Biker waded his way thru the lane of traffic and positioned himself smack infront of my car on a roundabout, and coz I was using clutch control and slighty reving he started shouting abuse at me, but I didnt hear a word of it, good music going in my car and I thought you cheeky git , I was here first, (even tho my husband also rides a bike) I do think they put themselves into dangerous situations and then blame other drivers..

Paula & Rick you'll be fine, just keep you wits about you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's a terrible thing to happen to you & I hope you are recovering from the experience but sadly, whilst it's not an everyday occurrence, what happened to you doesn't surprise me. Adelaide seems to have a disproportionately high number of neanderthals and road rage/aggressive driving seems to be the norm for many drivers. Unfortunately they are everywhere & you have to have eyes in the back of your head when driving. Even bus drivers just pull out without a care causing me to brake heavily. I nearly got hit by a "P" plater the other day, he just pulled out without looking. I have started to use a few rules which seem to be working for me - the following should not be trusted on the roads:

P Platers

Bogans

Really old cars

Cars with big exhausts

Utes

V8 anything

V6 anything

Buses

Commercial vehicles

Scooters

Cyclists

Bikers in shorts

Driving out in the sticks is lovely, near empty roads but I find driving around Adelaide much more stressful than the UK. Give me the M6 any day rather than Main North, Main South etc etc. Adelaide makes the tossers in BMWs back home look good!!

It ain't going to change, it's part of the SA 'culture' so you just have to put up with it. Be extra careful if it's raining (they have no idea about driving in rain), or very hot (heat sends them more mental than usual).

If anyone tells you Adelaide drivers are fine, they will either be one of the people in the categories above, or have a guide dog.

I think Adelaide drivers are fine. Been here 4 years now and have always found driving here really easy. The main difference I find is that drivers can't grasp the concept of letting other drivers out at a junction but apart from that it's fine. I've driven everywhere, north, south, east and west and don't have a problem at all.

I went back to the UK for the first time this christmas and driving there was ridiculous. I know where I prefer to drive.

P Platers

Bogans

Really old cars

Cars with big exhausts

Utes

V8 anything

V6 anything

Buses

Commercial vehicles

Scooters

Cyclists

Bikers in shorts

Why do P platers always come in for abuse??? Drives me mad!!!!!!! They arent all bad you know....

Guest Woody and Jane

My "favourite" things about driving around Adelaide in no particular order:

Changing lanes seconds before you stop at a red light because the other lane has one less car in it.

Speeding off when lights change only to reach the speed limit and stick to it religiously.

Not even attempting to change lanes when presented with an obstacle in your lane. They'd rather drive right up to the obstacle (be it a bus or a turning or parked car) and just stop. Even when the other lane is clear they still wait for the obstacle to move.

Braking then signalling to turn.

Not understanding what to do when someone flashes you to let you out (could be a British thing but some people know it, I'm resisting the urge to flash my hazards to say thank you as that might just confuse them even more).

The numerous trucks on the roads in rush hour.

Thinking that the safe distance I have left between myself and the car in front is for them to use.

And of course tailgating.

I've not had any dealings with Bikies yet, I can imagine how scary that would be but I do drive a big 4x4 so I know who'd come off worse if they tried anything.

Woody.

.There are some real knob heads around riding bikes.

Not condoning anything that happened in original post, or what happened in this post, but that seems to be a pretty sweeping statement. And as a bike rider, i take great offence to that!!! The number of times i have been cut up, and the phrase, sorry mate i never seen you!!! But i dont go around saying that!! There a plenty of "knob heads" driving cars and trucks and buses too!!! Please don't tarnish one group of road user with the same brush, or else every person from cyclist to pedestrians should be tarred too!!

Guest Ric & Paula

Many good friends in uk with bikes and trikes wasn't personally having a pop myself,was trying to see if this was something that occured often being relatively new to Adelaide

Guest moonraker1959
Not condoning anything that happened in original post, or what happened in this post, but that seems to be a pretty sweeping statement. And as a bike rider, i take great offence to that!!! The number of times i have been cut up, and the phrase, sorry mate i never seen you!!! But i dont go around saying that!! There a plenty of "knob heads" driving cars and trucks and buses too!!! Please don't tarnish one group of road user with the same brush, or else every person from cyclist to pedestrians should be tarred too!!

Hi I used to hang around with the Hells Angels when I was younger and spent a good deal of my younger days with the "bikie"community.I was even married to one!So no I'm not tarnishing all bike riding people with the same brush,far from it,just there are some knobheads riding bikes,the same with car/truck drivers!

Guest Roo1

Ric and Paula, just wanted to say how shocked I was reading this. How utterly terrifying. I hope your kids will get over it ok.

Judi x

When a car pulls out in front of a motorcycle and there's an accident the motorcyclist usually dies, or is very severely injured.

When a car sideswipes a motorcycle the motorcyclist will be very lucky if they only lose a leg from the knee down.

". . . hubby was unaware he'd made a mistake." Doesn't mean that he hadn't come close to crippling, or killing, the motorcyclist and his pillion passenger.

People don't get angry for no reason. Hubby did something very dangerous that scared the hell out of the motorcyclist and caused him to react the way he did.

Guest Ric & Paula

He wasn't even behind us and gave no explanation as to what had occured just ranted raved and spat and yes actually sometimes people DO get angry for no reason

Guest kangomik

I was told by a man who would know, you are more likely to die at a set of traffic lights here in SA than anywhere else in the state.

Translates - people rarely get annoyed when driving, but once annoyed they get really annoyed. You rarely here the horn being used (well i rarely hear it) but once you do there is generally somebody screaming abuse at the same time.

As for people getting out of cars and walking over to others to generally swear, kick, rip mirror off a car or just thumping the driver i have seen a couple of times.

However i have only seen one gun pointed at another driver to date, i thought it was fair he did cut him up quite badly from the lights. But without a shot being fired one driver quickly apologised, well what else can you do travelling at 80 KMPH down Main North Road and the next lights are on red! LOL