Getting your car serviced

Guest Squareman

Guest Squareman

Hi

I was shocked to learn yesterday that Aussie cars don't come with maintenance plans. In South Africa, most new cars come with a 100 000km/5 yr maintenance plans, which means you don't have to pay for your car to be serviced.

As such, I now need to rethink my car buying budget to accommodate the cost of getting the car serviced.

Can anyone give me an indication of the kind of car you drive and what you usually pay for services? I know that it all depends on your vehicle type and mileage but any info would help

Ta!

Guest willfam

I know that Toyota offer a fixed price servicing plan. We have had ours for 3 years and the price has remained the same around $150. I'm sure that i have seem mitsubishi advertising a similar type of thing too.

Guest Guest5035

Dealers are top $$$$ $200 to $500 depending on the car, If you go to a normal garage, 6 monthly oil change etc $100. 15k service $150 all ball park figures.

stevo

Hi there,

We bought a Hyundai Getz in 2007. A service is around $300 at the Hyundai dealer. The same service at a garage (and a stamped log book to keep the warranty valid) would be around $130. For the bigger vehicles (6 and 8 cylinder) it's much more. We just bought a V6 Kia Carnival to do the airport collections and the servicing is a horrific price. The dealership have quoted us a figure of $1200 for the 15000 km service (thats nearly R10,000 which is just madness!).

There are plenty of bicycle tracks around!

Tamara

Guest Tina P

Hi,

Just had my old banger serviced this morning by MD Auto and can totally recommend them, honest, reliable and go the extra mile.

Tina

There is another cost factor that you have to take into consideration when running a car....the road tax / third party accident / injury insurance.

To licence a car you will be looking at around $650 for the year. Most of this amount is the compulsory injury fund payment. This will be 10 times what you are used to paying in South Africa! In South Africa you pay into the motor accident fund when you buy fuel. Here you pay it when you licence your car.

If it's any consolation the vehicle insurance is much cheaper. Around $50 a month for fully comprehensive insurance. (much fewer car hijackings here!)

Don't forget the traffic fines as well! There are speed and red light cameras and roving cameras and we have manged to get 3 fines and 8 points. At $300 a fine that's two grand in your money! One fine was for driving at 59km in a 50 zone, and the other 69 in a 60 zone!!!

Tamara

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RANDYLIZARD78

Tamara i think you should shop around a little for your car service , I think they maybe see you comming :)

I drive a Falcon XR8 (V8) and a full service costs me $198

Try

Westbourne Park auto repairs 8 Little St, Cumberland Park, SA 5041 8271 6394

I live at morphett vale but i have used these guys solidly for the last 6 years for my car and my wifes and they are top guys so i do not mind the travel to use them (plus they have a loan car)

and they do all the servicing on my car that is still under dealership warranty and the log book is stamped

main dealer servicing is a waste of time and money its a trick to get you to spend money in their garage

Thanks very much. I really appreciate this info.

The car has not done 15,000 yet. I guess that I need to take it in to get the faults (brake judder...again) fixed and then take it elsewhere for it's logbook service. I tries Profix in Christies beach for my other car.... they didn't tighten the back wheel and the bearing stripped! It's a matter of getting good service and not problems from a bunch of cowboys!

I need to get some repairs done to my Ford so I will give them a try.

Thanks.

Guest angiestaff

i have just been stung for a big service on my toyota camry, it was the 90,000 k service so that bumped it up to just under $600 and then there were a couple of other issues so the final bill was just under $1000!!!!!! :arghh:

nearly each year in england i had a new ford (hubby worked for land rover so we got good deals) and never really had to pay for a service so i guess i have to pay now! lol

ange x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alexbrown

HI does anyone know of a good reliable garage near Campbelltown/Newtonfor a cam belt change that can provide loan car as we only have 1, a Kia Carnival and 2 small kids and work to get to?

Also brought a vcr over from uk and can't get it to work withnew tv bought here, anyone any ideas?

Tamara i think you should shop around a little for your car service , I think they maybe see you comming :)

I drive a Falcon XR8 (V8) and a full service costs me $198

Try

I live at morphett vale but i have used these guys solidly for the last 6 years for my car and my wifes and they are top guys so i do not mind the travel to use them (plus they have a loan car)

and they do all the servicing on my car that is still under dealership warranty and the log book is stamped

main dealer servicing is a waste of time and money its a trick to get you to spend money in their garage

Thanks, may have a look at them ourselves as we have a Grand Carnival and I have dared not look at the cost of a service:arghh:

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest alexbrown

Yes we were quoted $750 for cambelt change and $850 for whole kit, tensioners, bearings and all 3 belts, said it would take 2 days aswell!!

Guest WhatNow?

Alexbrown - I recently had mine serviced at Hilltop Auto Repairs - opposite the Mazda dealer at the Lower North East Road/George Street lights, Paradise. Very reasonable price and friendly and efficient one man band (a real garage!) - Why not call the boss (Dave) and ask him for an estimate and if he has a loan car he can let you have. Daytime phone 8336 2666, after hours 0416 310 167

WRT the tele/vcr I brought my elderly VCR over too and it worked no prob with a new Samsung TV I bought here, but I had to use the red/yellow/white leads rather than Scart as no Scart input on the TV. Just plugged it in to AV1 and swapped channel via TV menu. Bloody thing then imploded (old age) taking a tape with it and I bought a replacement from Cash Converters for $49 so I can still watch my old VHS stuff!

I had my Ford KA repaired at:

Great service and friendly people. They gave me a loan car for 2 days.

I also have the Grand Carnival (the Ford KA will probably fit in the back!). I was quoted less than $200 for the 15,000 km service.

Tamara

I had my Ford KA repaired at:

Great service and friendly people. They gave me a loan car for 2 days.

I also have the Grand Carnival (the Ford KA will probably fit in the back!). I was quoted less than $200 for the 15,000 km service.

Tamara

Thanks for the update and will give them a call when the next service is due.

Cheers,

Cooler