1 Year in SA update

Guest coolio

Guest coolio

Well here we are 1 year on in our new home, Australia.:)

Prior to this neither of the kids had flown before, myself not since 1984 so a big adventure from the start without the prospect of

settling into a new country to live/work etc.We said goodbye to a large gathering of family at Heathrow airport. I'll be totally honest

now and admit us 4 didnt find this so bad.We do come from a very close extended family, and we know it was so very difficult for

them BUT we were SO excited it really was too much of an adventure to get sentimental. Is that awful?

We arrived in adelaide on 18th may 2009 and headed off to Tykes place in Seaford Rise. Russell was so very welcoming and gave

invaluable advice without being in our faces. He just seemed to be there in the background helping if we needed it.It was a warm

welcome and meant a lot as we knew nothing or nobody upon arrival.

We instantly were struck with the beauty of the area.Stunning.As we realised in our first week, that stunning coastline as you drive

from Moana along to Port Noarlunga (esplanade route, not commercial road) was where we now lived and not a short term holiday

scene.

6 weeks after arriving Matt started to look for work,(motor mechanic) scary prospect coming so far without solid job prospect, but

luckily found work within 1 week. Just introducing himself at workshops with resume in hand did the trick.

We settled the kids into school then I looked at finding a job. Again luckily, lots of open positions in my area of work (dental

assistant)

We found a rental in Seaford Rise which was beyond anything we could've dreamed of and were there for 7months before buying

our own home, again in Seaford Rise in January.

That was a shock. we went from having a small mortgage due to be paid off in 8 years back in the UK (aged 47/48) to having a

large mortgage around our necks again, not paid off until in our 70's. very effing scary!!!:shocked:

As it is that don't seem to matter. we enjoy a fantastic life, busy almost every weekend. we have made great friends, which is hard

when you first arrive not knowing anybody. You really have to force yourselves out of your comfort zone. It is worth it though.

Push yourself into any social situation you can. you'll be suprised how many different people you meet, all types, all walks of life,

and among the many, you may just find your new best friends.I was lucky and struck gold early on arrival (you know who you are

xxx)

Y'know, instead of driving for ages in the car negotiating A23/M25 to and fro work, I now do twice the distance in a 1/4 of the

time. Not one set of lights, and just one tiny, quiet, roundabout. On my way home I can see the sea on my left and by the time

i'm halfway home i'm relaxed and smiling! you cant help it with scenery like that

This adventure has been so scary, yet so exciting and we are all gald we have made it. I asked the kids if they preffered life

here,now, or before back in the UK.It was a definite HERE in Australia from them.

Matt and I are inclined to agree. :notworthy:

Kezza, Matt and Kids xxx

Guest Guest75

Awww,Happy anniversary guys.

So nice of you to put your post in!!

I really have to say that from day 1 I never doubted that you would settle.

Whatever it is can I Bottle some??

Here is to many,many more year of happiness to come.

A loverly post that does just give me heart :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

PS - Must stop meeting in Dan Murphies!!

• 5 weeks later...
Well here we are 1 year on in our new home, Australia.:)

Prior to this neither of the kids had flown before, myself not since 1984 so a big adventure from the start without the prospect of

settling into a new country to live/work etc.We said goodbye to a large gathering of family at Heathrow airport. I'll be totally honest

now and admit us 4 didnt find this so bad.We do come from a very close extended family, and we know it was so very difficult for

them BUT we were SO excited it really was too much of an adventure to get sentimental. Is that awful?

We arrived in adelaide on 18th may 2009 and headed off to Tykes place in Seaford Rise. Russell was so very welcoming and gave

invaluable advice without being in our faces. He just seemed to be there in the background helping if we needed it.It was a warm

welcome and meant a lot as we knew nothing or nobody upon arrival.

We instantly were struck with the beauty of the area.Stunning.As we realised in our first week, that stunning coastline as you drive

from Moana along to Port Noarlunga (esplanade route, not commercial road) was where we now lived and not a short term holiday

scene.

6 weeks after arriving Matt started to look for work,(motor mechanic) scary prospect coming so far without solid job prospect, but

luckily found work within 1 week. Just introducing himself at workshops with resume in hand did the trick.

We settled the kids into school then I looked at finding a job. Again luckily, lots of open positions in my area of work (dental

assistant)

We found a rental in Seaford Rise which was beyond anything we could've dreamed of and were there for 7months before buying

our own home, again in Seaford Rise in January.

That was a shock. we went from having a small mortgage due to be paid off in 8 years back in the UK (aged 47/48) to having a

large mortgage around our necks again, not paid off until in our 70's. very effing scary!!!:shocked:

As it is that don't seem to matter. we enjoy a fantastic life, busy almost every weekend. we have made great friends, which is hard

when you first arrive not knowing anybody. You really have to force yourselves out of your comfort zone. It is worth it though.

Push yourself into any social situation you can. you'll be suprised how many different people you meet, all types, all walks of life,

and among the many, you may just find your new best friends.I was lucky and struck gold early on arrival (you know who you are

xxx)

Y'know, instead of driving for ages in the car negotiating A23/M25 to and fro work, I now do twice the distance in a 1/4 of the

time. Not one set of lights, and just one tiny, quiet, roundabout. On my way home I can see the sea on my left and by the time

i'm halfway home i'm relaxed and smiling! you cant help it with scenery like that

This adventure has been so scary, yet so exciting and we are all gald we have made it. I asked the kids if they preffered life

here,now, or before back in the UK.It was a definite HERE in Australia from them.

Matt and I are inclined to agree. :notworthy:

Kezza, Matt and Kids xxx

sounds great,soooo exciting-cant wait for it to be us x