Well, it looks like we'll be returning to the UK and a quick question...

Guest Alipally

Guest Alipally

Thought I might stick my neck out and let you know what's happening with us.

Almost 2 years here...I found a job pretty easily, but not so for OH applied for over 100 jobs but nothing was giving. 9 months into our adventure his old employer emails him and offers him 6 months of well paid work, air fare paid to and from. He was pretty down by then, not having a job, so took the offer. At the end of the 6 months they offered him another contract. There was NOTHING still here for him, so he went back (truth is that he loves his job, always has done) Being apart has been difficult, but we manage with the help of daily Skype calls, but 12 months on, enough is enough. He was planning on coming back at the end of July for good and just looking for any old job, but, work have made him an offer that is simply too good an opportunity to turn down... loads more money and a big promotion compared to what he had when we left for Australia.

Son will be 18 in a couple of months and is talking about moving out, he's got an apprenticeship and really good mates here, he is adamant that he's not going back, Adelaide suits him and he's very happy. When I told him about his Dad's offer, he looked at me and said 'I can't believe that you've stayed here as long as you have Mum.....he worries about me :wubclub:, but the truth is that I've stayed because he's not yet 18 and it would be irresponsible of me to leave him in a foreign land before he was old enough, I also knew that I wouldn't be able to make him move back and tbh, I don't think I could ask that of him. It would be selfish to say the very least. He has an apprenticeship in a trade he loves, and great career prospects.

I don't dislike Adelaide, I've been lucky enough to make some really great mates both Aussies & expats whilst I've been here. I merely think that we landed here at the wrong time, and it's made finding employment for OH very difficult. It's possible that, if he'd found a job then it would have been different. However, if things had been different, he certainly wouldn't have had the offer that he has now. Everything happens for a reason.

It's also possible that another state could offer better opportunities, but we need to regroup and have some stability in our lives. Perhaps leaving is the easy option, but, I think that we've done enough hard yards for now. All I want to do is be able to cuddle up to my man every night and sleep soundly. I really don't want to spend anymore nights alone nor am I prepared to have my peace of mind lost because I'm worrying about him not having a job.

I'm told that if you have 2 years residency on your 175 visa that you can get a RRV if this is true then I will endeavour to stay until September to make sure that I get that right, but we have until the end of 2013 to come back on our current visa.

Well, it's been an adventure. An expensive adventure, but, I think, worth it. I didn't expect it to turn out this way, but hey, life would be very boring if everything always did!

You have to do what is right for you and by the sounds of things your relationship with your son and OH have stood the test of time and passed with flying colours.

You have been brave, considerate, adventurous and put everybody else first........ Follow your heart and enjoy your experiences both old and new as there will be so much more to come x

You have to do what is right for you and by the sounds of things your relationship with your son and OH have stood the test of time and passed with flying colours.

You have been brave, considerate, adventurous and put everybody else first........ Follow your heart and enjoy your experiences both old and new as there will be so much more to come x

Ditto what Cornelia said.

Guest WhatNow?

Hi, Just thought I'd share with you the fact that when I migrated I left my 18 year old son in the UK because he really wanted to take up the Uni place that he had fought so hard for. I never doubted that it was the right thing to do, though I have detected a few raised eyebrows from others not so enlightened. Make sure you know how to use Facebook before you go back - I have found it is such a good way of keeping up with my son's life, though I have to close my ears/eyes to the language/photographs sometimes! Good Luck

Guest Alipally
Hi, Just thought I'd share with you the fact that when I migrated I left my 18 year old son in the UK because he really wanted to take up the Uni place that he had fought so hard for. I never doubted that it was the right thing to do, though I have detected a few raised eyebrows from others not so enlightened. Make sure you know how to use Facebook before you go back - I have found it is such a good way of keeping up with my son's life, though I have to close my ears/eyes to the language/photographs sometimes! Good Luck

We've already done that as well... left eldest at uni when we came. He's just graduated (2:1 I'm very proud!) He has a visa but I don't think that he'll ever come to live in Australia.

So it's not like I don't know what the challenges are of having a child on the other side of the world are.

Hubby still feels like he's not 'finished' with Australia and I can see that it may play on his mind for a while... we may come back at a later date, I'd never say never!

Guest nikki & john

Hi there

I just wanted to wish you al the very best for your future. You have had to make some unbelievably tough decisions in the past two years and you have come through it, you, your hubby and your boys and I just think you are all pretty amazing, I just wanted you to know that. Good luck in the UK and who knows where you may end up in a year or two.

Nikki

Guest lize smit

Got a similar situation and we are going back to South Africa on 2 July ! I cannot wait! VERY HOMESICK and looking forward to my easy life there. Must say I find that I had a better quality of life ( even with all the crime that we have in South Africa) in my home country than here in Adelaide. I find little time for myself , always having to work, cook and clean. Going back with a song in my heart and will appreciate the life I have in South Africa much more!! Also came to the conclusion that maybe I was too old (turning 40) when I came out here. Have however had the oppurtunity to show my kids the way things work (the pro's and con's ) in a first world country. And will also try to keep my pemanant residency by applying for a resident return visa-but not for myself-just to give my kids the choice of coming back if they want to.

South Africa here I come , counting the days untill 2 July!

Guest Alipally

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Lize, homesickness is horrid, and if you have something to go back to then I see little reason for torturing yourself any longer.

The RRV requires you to have living in Aus for 2 of the last 5 years. and/or have strong ties to here such as family or property or a business.

It usually lasts for 5 years, but they can issue one for just 3 months, in which case you will have to come back and apply for the longer visa whilst you are onshore, and living here. To be on the safe side you should be onshore when you apply for your RRV.

If you are a PR and your 5 year 175 has run out and you have not become a citizen then it's recommended that you have a valid RRV AND passport with at least 6 months on it at all times, just in case you need to go overseas for any reason.

Guest lize smit
Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Lize, homesickness is horrid, and if you have something to go back to then I see little reason for torturing yourself any longer.

The RRV requires you to have living in Aus for 2 of the last 5 years. and/or have strong ties to here such as family or property or a business.

It usually lasts for 5 years, but they can issue one for just 3 months, in which case you will have to come back and apply for the longer visa whilst you are onshore, and living here. To be on the safe side you should be onshore when you apply for your RRV.

If you are a PR and your 5 year 175 has run out and you have not become a citizen then it's recommended that you have a valid RRV AND passport with at least 6 months on it at all times, just in case you need to go overseas for any reason.

Thanks! Have already looked into that info! My husband has started his own company here and will be running it from South Africa> Our PR visa only expires in Oktober 2014 and as he is the main applicant he will be coming our here often. We have already stayed here for 7 months so will see beginning 2014 how many months he has been here in total. If we do not make the 2 year stay we will aply on the business ties for a RRV. Also found out t if the main applicant is granted an RRV then the rest of the family do not need to meet any requiments and can get their RRV based o the RRV of the main applicant.

So will see what life brings to us!

Oh Ali I really didn't know your OH was still in the UK hun xx. I wish you the very best of luck I know the struggle it is to get here but we had fun on THAT expat thread:jiggy:. And we never did get to meet up did we :embarrassed: lol.

You take good care of yourself hun xx you can always come back if thats what you want to do. BIG HUGS(((()))).

Tina x

Don't worry I am sure your boy will be fine. When they fly out from the nest they don't go far just in case something goes wrong. Our boy and your boy will be fine, they seem to get on really well, let him know we are only a stones throw away and he can always come and ask us, if he needs any!

Adam the carpet fitter, will certainly keep him on the right path..

God help the girls thou

• 2 weeks later...

All the best love,hope it works out for you and can't begin to understand how hard it is leaving your son behind,but hey you're doing whats best for you all and can always come back here for holidays

I really feel for you,you should be proud you gave it a go!

I hope i last 2 yrs! Only been here 5 months and the emotional roller coaster ride is soo hard.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest janny

Well you have been in an emotional turmoil for a while, begreat to be reunited with OH.Doesnt make it easy with your son tho does it? Good luck-hope it woeks well 4 u all

Hi

Good luck with what you have decided to do. Don't worry to much I'm sure your son will be okay. My oh did the same when his family moved to Cape Town and they left him there aged 18, then returned to Batley West Yorkshire! He coped well and it turned out okay. Like any parent you want the best for your kids. Good luck with your move. I hope everything works out for both of you.

Tamara