Monthly cost of Groceries

Guest Lord Sistova

Guest Lord Sistova

Hi one and all.

Do any of you have a family of four on here.I was wondering how much a family of four is spending a month on groceries a month.I know food has gone up a lot over the last few years and is now significantly higher than when we landed back in 2003.:D

We do buy specials to save money but we only buy brand food as not to keen on the cheaper stuff.Do you only shop once a week and have a clear budget,or daily for evening meals etc.We do tend to throw away more stuff than I like becuase it has gone off in the fridge whcih would indicate to me that we are buying too much in the first place:mad:

Considered replies,thaniks all.

Guest Here at last!

We are a family of four, it really depends but somewhere between $160 and $220 a week. It depends if I need washing powder, cleaning stuff etc.

I try to only go once a week to the supermarket and we go to the Gepps Cross fruit market for our fruit and veg as it is much cheaper.

I used to go to the supermarket every couple of days and was spending much more so thought it was better to stay away.

I'm always surprised by how much people spend on groceries. We are only a family of two, but I cook fresh meals almost every night, and buy lunch foods for one of us. We shop once every 3 weeks and I go to Central Market or the local veg shops for my fresh fruit & veg. Our average weekly spend is $50, and I never feel like we've skimped.

I'm always surprised by how much people spend on groceries. We are only a family of two, but I cook fresh meals almost every night, and buy lunch foods for one of us. We shop once every 3 weeks and I go to Central Market or the local veg shops for my fresh fruit & veg. Our average weekly spend is $50, and I never feel like we've skimped.

Wow, come and help me with my shopping Suzer!!

We are a family of 4 (but youngest is a baby, so formula/nappies etc add up). I'd say I spend $150 per week but forever popping to the shops for bread and milk (we must have fairies that eat/drink it all in our house).

Don't ya think bread is dear here? Maybe the same in U.K buts its been awhile since I bought bread there.......:cute:

Ian made his first loaf yesterday and it wasn't too bad! That should keep cost down a little for us.............now just need a cow..........:biglaugh:

Judi x

Wow, come and help me with my shopping Suzer!!

We are a family of 4 (but youngest is a baby, so formula/nappies etc add up). I'd say I spend $150 per week but forever popping to the shops for bread and milk (we must have fairies that eat/drink it all in our house).

Don't ya think bread is dear here? Maybe the same in U.K buts its been awhile since I bought bread there.......:cute:

Ian made his first loaf yesterday and it wasn't too bad! That should keep cost down a little for us.............now just need a cow..........:biglaugh:

Judi x

I always buy the cheapest multi-grain bread - never more than $2 a loaf and when I see anything on special I freeze it. Have thought of making my own but think I would eat too much!

I buy one fresh carton of milk and some long life to top up in between shops.

Four things that help enormously:

1. Make a list before going and don't deviate from it unless something you regularly use is on special.

2. No chips, fizzy drinks, biscuits, etc (we get a bar of choc for each of us every 3 wks and that's the only 'treat;)

3. Never buy fruit & veg from the store - always go to the local veg shop or markets (I save 2/3 of the cost by going to central market and buying things that are near their sell by date!)

4. At least half of what you cook should be 2x as much as you need - meaning leftovers half the time...saves time and money.

And yep aware that I have the financial advantage with no bubs in the house;)

P.S. Back when I lived alone I spent $100 a week for just me so I now spend 1/4 of the cost and have better meals now that I've finally learned how to cook properly!

Guest hel&sam

i'd love to say we get through about the same as suzer however, no chance, two growing boys in the house, oh and two overly well fed adults spend about $200 a week. i'll probably spend less once i'm back at work, wont feel the need to serve up full dinners every night in an attempt to justify my existence.

I am really struggling to keep our food shopping cheap but I am getting there slowly but surely I am getting more organised!

What I need is cheap meals that everyone will eat!

Tonight I have done good bought veal meat on special only cost me $5 for 500kg which I thought was great chucked in some cheap frozen veg and made a cottage pie.

I am more organised and make a list and plan my meals on average it's around $250 a week sometimes more...

I have tried going to butcher and then fruit and veg shop but I end up spending more! then to top it off there is no money left to buy any wine! :confused:

I buy far too many biscuits, choc, cereals and yogurts that never get eaten!! We should have a recipe swap thread!

Guest caoimhe

We are a family of 6 and I budget on $250 a week. I found a fruit & veg shop thats so much cheaper than the supermarkets eg 69c per kilo for apples instead of $3-$4 a kilo. I go to a bakery were the bread is only $1.60 and buy enough for the week and freeze it, Cleaning stuff and toiletries i get from Regect Shop or Chip as chips. I also buy home brand in the supermarkets as much as possible.I have a local butcher thats cheaper although I have a friend that has arranged to split a Cow with me that will be cut up and packaged at $7 a kilo:biglaugh:

Guest Ric & Paula

We buy all our veg and fruit from north arm market on Torrens island near Port Adelaide on a Sunday morning.Yesterday we spent approx $20 on a weeks fruit and veg.It's a fab atmosphere too and if you get bored shopping can watch out for dolphins.Really sort through the produce.

Guest toniew

We are a family of four and I do tend to buy brand names, mainly because we prefer the taste. I find we spend $250-$300 a week on food. In the summer when we have lots of barbies and friends round this can increase considerably.

Every 2-3 months we do a booze order online where we spend around $300, unless our favourite european beers are in stock and then the cost shoots up considerably.

Tonie

I always buy the cheapest multi-grain bread - never more than $2 a loaf and when I see anything on special I freeze it. Have thought of making my own but think I would eat too much!

I buy one fresh carton of milk and some long life to top up in between shops.

Four things that help enormously:

1. Make a list before going and don't deviate from it unless something you regularly use is on special.

2. No chips, fizzy drinks, biscuits, etc (we get a bar of choc for each of us every 3 wks and that's the only 'treat;)

3. Never buy fruit & veg from the store - always go to the local veg shop or markets (I save 2/3 of the cost by going to central market and buying things that are near their sell by date!)

4. At least have of what you cook should be 2x as much as you need - meaning leftovers half the time...saves time and money.

And yep aware that I have the financial advantage with no bubs in the house;)

P.S. Back when I lived alone I spent $100 a week for just me so I now spend 1/4 of the cost and have better meals now that I've finally learned how to cook properly!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with these suggestions. Having no kids at home now certainly keeps our shopping bill way down - no biscuits, cakes, crisps, sweets or ready meals either. I cook everything from fresh and buy fruit and veg at farm shops and markets.

In warmer weather we don't have so much tea or coffee and that helps lower the milk consumption. In the UK there are too many choices but I prefer Oz style with a smaller and 'seasonal' (rather than imported) range to choose from. Hopefully I won't notice too much difference in the food budget once we arrive.

Making a list really helps and can honestly say that I never through anything away - I buy enough for our needs and any extras get frozen quickly. Being a good cook is an advantage - My first job many, many years ago was as a cookery demonstrator so I suppose i do have an advantage. I make up my own recipes all the time and enjoy cooking.

Guest true brit

i used to live in the US and thrifty house-wives there "Co-Op'd".....say there were 4 families of 4 - each housewife would take it in turn to go and buy bulk meat/veg/etc. once a wk or ftn then they would dish it out in equal portions for each family.........wouldnt work unless you can co-op with neighbours or family who visit once a wk or you'll spend too much on petrol........dont be put off with no name brands either.....the advertiser newspaper a few yrs ago did an "expose" on who made the "no name brands" ...........from memory i can only remember sunblest bread being woolies brand (i think)...it would be good if someone could research this and post it on this site.........all the best any way true brit

Guest Lord Sistova

:notworthy:

Well peeps you are all doing well.

The only one in common with what we spend is Tonie at $250 or $300 a week,with two teenage children.Anyway here comes the bad news:

Last month in May,food bill for four weeks $1,735 :sad:.This includes household cleaning stuff etc and some dog food but I was shocked when i realised how much we had spent.

In June the figure was $1,835 :sad: :sad:

Seriously over the top.Some of your tips are helpful and thanks for that.I think a list is the best and to stick to it,we have got to reduce the bill becuase I am fully aware that for some people these fiqures equate to an entire weeks wage etc.

Guest me123

when we first arrived i thought food costs were high..my weekly food bill for family of 5=$240.00 & $260.00 per week...i try not to buy cleaning products at the supermarket ...cheap as chips/go-lo...for these...since being here i make so much stuff myself..as the cost to buy ready made is just too much...such as homemade coopers ale pie,quiche,cakes(30 mins to make 12 cakes..12 seconds for kids to scoff) curry,pizza etc..never buy frozen stuff....the cost is high and tastes very poor..the biggest cost is beer/wine/coffee..best to get when on special...

A way to save costs on cleaning supplies - buy a spray bottle and mix about 1 part white vinegar to 20 parts water (or something like that - just make it weak). You can use this for cleaning kitchen counters, glass tables, windows, bathroom, etc. Also good as a floor cleaner - cheap, non-toxic and very very good.

when we first arrived i thought food costs were high..my weekly food bill for family of 5=$240.00 & $260.00 per week...i try not to buy cleaning products at the supermarket ...cheap as chips/go-lo...for these...since being here i make so much stuff myself..as the cost to buy ready made is just too much...such as homemade coopers ale pie,quiche,cakes(30 mins to make 12 cakes..12 seconds for kids to scoff) curry,pizza etc..never buy frozen stuff....the cost is high and tastes very poor..the biggest cost is beer/wine/coffee..best to get when on special...

The coopers Ale pie sounds nice...any chance of a recipe?

Dan

Guest Trakki
We are a family of 6 and I budget on $250 a week. I found a fruit & veg shop thats so much cheaper than the supermarkets eg 69c per kilo for apples instead of $3-$4 a kilo. I go to a bakery were the bread is only $1.60 and buy enough for the week and freeze it, Cleaning stuff and toiletries i get from Regect Shop or Chip as chips. I also buy home brand in the supermarkets as much as possible.I have a local butcher thats cheaper although I have a friend that has arranged to split a Cow with me that will be cut up and packaged at $7 a kilo:biglaugh:

We are a family of 7 and if I don't count the babys nappies and formula then I spend $500 a fortnight like Caoimhe and this is adding up all the extra trips to get bread and milk, I like you Roo have a bread and milk munching monster in my house. We get through 18litres of milk a week, yes thats 18 litres, my kids love milk as do I. I buy fruit and veg from the fruit barn which is a lot cheaper and tastes better, we are not huge meat eaters but I do get our sausgaes from the butcher. I try to get things that are on special. I write a menu for the fortnight and shop to that with a few treats for the kids included. We are on a tight budget at the moment so counting every penny. Obviously if I have to get washing powder it is dearer but I buy this in bulk so don't count that in my fortnightly amount.

Caoimhe can I have milk from the cow before you slaughter it pleeeeeaaaase.

Guest me123
The coopers Ale pie sounds nice...any chance of a recipe?

Dan

well i am a bit of this bit of that sort of cook....but here goes..1 tray of diced beef..1 onion finley chopped..brown meat in a large pan with bit of cooking oil..chuck in onion..add 1 bottle of coopers ( i use greenie,you can use any) then add 1 oxo cube(beef)...2 table spoons of gravy granuales any will do...chuck in salt ..pepper and a good sprinkle of mixed herbs...now turn to low heat to allow to cook for 1hr 30 mins-2 hrs (till meat soft) half way mix 2 table spoons of plain flour in a cup with water till looks like wall paper paste add this to pan...keep returning to stir as will stick otherwise..whilst waiting make home-made short crust pastry...when meat soft ..chuck it in a pie dish..cover with pastry..cook 30/40 mins at 220/gas7..hey presto COOPERS PIE...also do the same for beef stew...just add more veg and forget the topping...plus 2x trays of beef and 2x bottles of coopers...for stew then enough to share or save yummy...

Guest moonraker1959

When I lived in SA,I grew most of my own food.I had a few different fruit tree's,a grapevine,and various raised veg beds.I made my own washing liquid/cleaning products(very cheap to make).I made my own biscuits ect.Back then food was quite cheap,and yes we could afford to buy it easily,but why not take the power back into your own hands and grow your own food.The only thing I would ever buy at the supermarket was meat!Even here in the UK,we can well afford groceries,I just prefer the process of growing my own food and making my own cleaning products.I recently found out who our local bee keeper is so I can buy some honey.Cleaning products are easy enough to make,just google home made cleaning products for some recipes!PS As we speak,I have spuds,spinach,chard,pea's,two types of beans,mixed lettuce leaves,cauli's and cabbages,tomatoes,courgettes,strawberries,raspberries,and apples growing,corn and purple sprouting broccoli!Whew!!!:)

Guest k8bug79

This post is really intersting. We are a family of 5 and we have total gannets. In the UK we use TEsco or Asda and we buy everything value/ smart price. I really like the idea of shopping at markets when we get there. But I am worried that our budget food bill is going to increase when we (finally) get there. What are the best chains to shop at and do they have similar idea to value range etc. Do you find enough time to go round the markets? Here I my husband works weekends and the alst thing I would wnat to do is try and trek round a market when I could just zip to Tesco. But is it different over there?

Guest hel&sam

i'm in seaford rise can anyone point me in the direction of a good ie cheap veg market. they all seem to be up yonder somewhere so by the time you've added petrol on its not worth it for 50c off a kilo of apples.

you can just get everything in foodland, coles or woolies the same as asda or tesco, it just depends if you need to save a few bob. i was always a tescos girl, i'm finding it quite hard to get out of the habit of one shop and thats it, not very domesticated i'm afraid.

Guest true brit

hiya

central market is fantastic...........but a treck for you or aldinga has a little mall and there is a really cheap veggie shop there....eggs $1.99 per doz and last wk apples were 50 cents (they were very small but that didnt matter)..its only a 15 min car ride so petrol wouldnt be too bad