Just need some words of encouragement!

Guest Skippy

Guest Skippy

Hi all, my household is a little crazy currently! OH seems very low as working such long hours - he's in construction which involves very early starts. I wish men found it easier to talk things through!!!

We want to buy a house but they're so pricey locally - no real solution to that.

The children are so happy here. They love Adelaide and have decided this is where they want to be. We have got to be strong for them as they are so happy.

As for me I really want this to work out. I feel a little disappointed with my family back in the UK. I'm one of five and I don't really hear from them at all. Back in the UK we were all pretty close. Whats it all about?

Any words of wisdom would be helpful. Even if you say you're here, you're lucky!!!

Love Anna x

Oh just read your post sounds like you need a hug! ((((HUG))))

I am sorry you are feeling a little lost but there plenty of people who have been through it and are going through a tough time, with family.

I have juts lost my Dad and after a very few tough weeks I am coming out the other end feeling ok. It is hard with the time difference and I know a lot of people who have to make the effort all the time and it's hard.

I live on Sheidow park and would happy to meet you for a cuppa some time. My kids are little but that don't matter, it school hols :-)

Just PM any time

Michelle

Guest WhatNow?

Hi Skippy,

One of the reasons we set up What Now? was that we have met so many people who arrive after the biggest upheaval of their lives to find that they have unexpected issues to deal with and find it difficult to talk about it to their OHs (who have their own issues). If you want some professional help please PM me or email me at the WhatNow? email address, but you will find some lovely people on here who will offer some wise words and a shoulder to cry on. I don't know any migrant who hasn't had a hard time one way or another, my friend's husband left her within 12 months of arriving here, and my mother refused to speak to me once I said I was leaving the UK (and still won't) and many migrants are finding that their dream of owning a home is evaporating with the after effects of the economic crisis, so you are not alone. You will find some good friends here who will listen, and I hope, give you some support. Don't struggle on alone...

It sounds like you have reached that point where after all the hard work to get here, get work and begin establishing yourlife and the oomph that carried you through has diminished and you have time to review everything. It may be that you will have to push on with your family to stay in contact, some find it too hard when it's not just a matter of popping round the corner or a quick cheap phonecall. Once winter is over, the days will get longer and warmer and your husband will have evening daylight to do things. The plus is your kids are settled and happy. There is lots to explore and there is lots on offer here for the family that likes to get out and about together cheaply, rather than need big entertainment venues. Good luck, everyone gets a dose of the doldrums at some stage.

Guest Admar72

Hi Skippy,

Just wanted to say hi and that i'm also living on Sheidow park (moved in on thursday) Only been in Adelaide 5 weeks and so i'm still settling in. If you fancy a cuppa and chat sometime it would be lovely to meet up with you. My hubbie is also in construction.

Maria

Guest Skippy

Hi guys,

just wanted to say thanks for all your kind words. Makes me realise all my 'problems' are pretty small cheese really. I really am normally a very upbeat person - honest! I love the idea of a little chin wag over a cup of tea! Only thing is I do have my 4 little cherubs at home currently who are 6, nearly 11, almost 12 and just turned 13 years!! They are great but can also become a bit Harry Enfield teenage characterish on the turn of a penny!! Could be a good idea on their return to school? Can I do some PM's at that stage? Once again thanks and look forward to some possible meet ups.

love Anna x

Guest Scrappin' Julie

Anna - just wanted to say hi! Hope you get through this in one piece. Life is tough at the best of times but it's good to find someone else to off load on. (((hugs)))

Guest Skippy

Thanks Julie. Life sure does throw some curve balls!! Got to push forward but today just struggling! Sometimes it's good to have a cry but I hate to give in!! Anyway I've got to now peel potatoes for our dinner!!!! I'll try not to take my frustration out on the spuds too much - they'll end up as chips! love Anna x:cute:

Hi guys,

just wanted to say thanks for all your kind words. Makes me realise all my 'problems' are pretty small cheese really. I really am normally a very upbeat person - honest! I love the idea of a little chin wag over a cup of tea! Only thing is I do have my 4 little cherubs at home currently who are 6, nearly 11, almost 12 and just turned 13 years!! They are great but can also become a bit Harry Enfield teenage characterish on the turn of a penny!! Could be a good idea on their return to school? Can I do some PM's at that stage? Once again thanks and look forward to some possible meet ups.

love Anna x

Anna

Of course you certainly have your hands full at the moment so please get in touch if you need anything and for a cuppa once kids are at school. Failing that I can babysit for you to and get you and hubby some peace :)

Good luck

Michelle

Guest hel&sam

you're not on your own, we've never squabbled so much as we have since we came here, but then we've never seen so much of each other either, we cant buy a house until i get a job, nothing going at the moment. its just taken sam three months to get a decent job. i'm missing my best friend, and its my mums 70th on saturday so i'm due a few tears. we all have moments of doubt i'm sure, take yourself off for a long walk along the beach preferably when the suns out, works every time for me, i come back thinking what is my problem, i love it here... :)

Guest Skippy

Hi guys,

thanks - I feel so much better - and not so isolated. It really is time to make some friends. I'm a good listener with a cheeky sense of humour!! I will be following up these offers of tea! And I must go for one of these beach strolls. A little sun really can warm you to the core! And thanks Michelle for the offer of sitting the children. They did remind me of the film Nanny McPhee today!!!!! Their school reports were wonderful! I suppose they let their hair down at home currently! Thanks once again. Anna x

Guest Skippy
............and even after nearly 5 years, there are times, when it still gets to me...seems even worse in winter...this time of year is when i feel the homesickness the most....

Hi Lorluc,

now I'm sending you a hug. Take care, Anna x

Sending (((hugs)))

So often when we get off the roller coaster we don't feel too good for a while.

Sounds like you have some good 'neighbours' locally and others who can lend a sympathetic ear.

You are not alone even if it feels like it at the moment. Don't bottle it up and don't be afraid to have a good cry either.

Guest Jo&Phil

I've found that friends/family in the UK are often worried they'll get the time difference wrong (and they do!) or that calls will be expensive. If you can't persuade them into Skype, suggest you sign up for 0014 which is cheaper international calls and just ring them. It doesn't matter that you haven't spoken in a while and you don't have to chat for ever .... just do it regularly and quite often and this may encourage them to do the same.

Guest WhatNow?
I've found that friends/family in the UK are often worried they'll get the time difference wrong (and they do!) or that calls will be expensive. If you can't persuade them into Skype, suggest you sign up for 0014 which is cheaper international calls and just ring them. It doesn't matter that you haven't spoken in a while and you don't have to chat for ever .... just do it regularly and quite often and this may encourage them to do the same.

Yes that's very true! And they are worried (especially the older generation) that it will cost them loads of money. I keep in touch by having my computer on and Skype running in the evenings, then friends and relatives message me rather than phoning first off. That way they know the time and it doesn't cost them anything to just say Hi. Then if you want to chat or video message you just convert the instant message to a call. Often we just have sessions where we instant message back and forth and have been known to keep up a conversation for hours! We have had 4 way instant message conversations with two of us here and two of us in the UK - almost a girlie night! And you can attach pictures and other files to the instant message too so you can share them. If you restrict yourself to Skype instant messaging, the pathetic internet speeds here aren't an issue either. Best thing ever for keeping up to speed with what everyone is doing.

it says you are adelaide bound~when are you due to land?? where abouts in Adelaide are you heading?

you described the feeling as roller caster~perfect discription and exactly what it's like ups and downs~this winter weather brings the downs...missing my mum big time~only been here 5 months and finding it difficult to make friends,only as i have left such good friends behind and sometimes all you want is someone who really knows you to share a coffee with.

hi skippy

how old are your children?

i have 2 daughters 4 and 6 we only moved out here 5 months ago and i really understand how you feel.

where does your husband work?

we live in Aldinga beach and my husband works in north Adelaide and has to get up at 6 to be there for 8 as its over an hours drive but it's worth it for where we are.

I was down big time last week as it was my father~in~laws 70th monday and my mums birthday the next day~i cried buckets...emotional roller coaster~if u want to meet for a coffee over the holidays let me know.

Guest Messua

Hi Anna!

I feel for you. My family keep in touch much less than when we first came here and they choose what to tell us, which wasn't appreciated one bit when Dad had a stroke! The great thing is that with PIA you can build a support network. My boys barely remember life in the UK now, have a fun life with lots of friends. I'd return to the UK but only if that changed. Good luck.

Guest Skippy

Hi Messua,

thats exactly the case in this household. The children really are so very happy here. As I type this one is at a friends house with 8 or so other mates and one has been taken to the cinema! They have a fantastic social life. My children do not want to return to the UK. My 13 year old said the other night that kids just accept you here, you don't have to worry. That's why we're going to put all our efforts into staying here - I just wish I could bring my mum too! It's how it is I know. Thanks to everyone who helped me through my bad day - I'm feeling really good now - thank goodness! love Anna x

Guest Peachie

Hi all

If you all manage to meet up would love an invite as I have found it a bit difficult being social as don't drive been her 8 months and things have settled down have 2 kids age 5 (almost 6) and 12 as there is a big gap can be hard keeping them both entertained they would like to meet more kids outside of school around their ages I would love a coffee and a gossip but live in lockelys/underdale area no PIA seem to live around here??

Deb x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mlissiman

Hi Skippy and All

I don't come on here very often as I work full time, but wanted to say that I totally appreciate where you are coming from.

We will have left the UK two years ago on Saturday 31st July and at around 8 months in I suddenly felt that I did not have an identity any more. Eg we no longer owned 2 cars and OH had ours most of the time so I felt lost. I did'nt know where anything was and felt little scared by that.

Anyway, things do move on and you do meet people eventually. We live up in Blackwood and have two boys who are 13 and 10.

I know you've had lots of offers, but if you ever did want to me for coffee & cake, let me know.

Take care

Michelle

Guest Chandan

I admire each and every one of you.. I really do..

I am originally from Adelaide... I spent the first 20 years of my life here, then spent the last 12 years in London.. I've been here for near on 6 weeks and although my old friends are here and my family live here (all three of them) I am feeling a little blue too, so I cant imagine what you all must be going through.. I am in Edwardstown (Castle Plaza Shopping centre) I have a 4 year old (who loves kids of all ages) and a 7 month old.. I am free most of the time for a coffee too... Underdale isnt too far away from me (Im off South Rd) so count me in if a coffee morning or meet up is arranged.

Danni