Skype good or bad for newbies

Prema

We had our first skype to skype yesterday, and to say that I hardly slept or have stopped crying since is an understatement.

Can honestly say that we had some great friendships with a few people which were more like family members then Friends.

Saw our friends, and the kids have grown so much, realized that we will never have friendship like that. The kids miss them as well. Kieran was in tears as he wanted to play with his buddy. I wanted to reach out and hold the youngest who just turned 2. I sent some money in a card for him and he was waving his present that his mummy bought with the money at me.

Yes life is much better for us here, theres no question about it, but I miss the popping round at anytime. The quick text are you home?? I'm coming over. The meals we used to share, the laughs. We have made some Friends here but it's just is not the same. The only way I can describe it is it was much like a bond on both ways.

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi there,

Personally i wouldn't be able to manage without skype, i also have skype on my mobile phone and so does mum so i give her a quick bell on the way to work in the morning. Don't use skype webcam every night i think it would be to much you wouldn't have time to do anything else, but skype on your mobile is great as you can be out and just give whoever a quick call providing they have skype on theirs.

I probably use the webcam a few times a week and yes it can be a bit upsetting especially when youv'e had a few drinks. Would be worse i think if you didn't have this option and never be able to see family. I have a nephew who was only a few months when we left i would be devestated if i couldn't see him grow and he actually looks at the screen and waves now.

As much as it would be nice to pop round it's as close as you get with the webcam so i personally think it's a good thing when all the family are there you can see them and have a chat and i feel it's made the move easier. I cried when i saw them on skype a few times initially but it has got easier and i am now just looking forward to them coming out to visit.

Hope things get easier and try to look at the positives, you can see them and how awful it would be if you couldn't, maybe limit the amount of times you skype if it's upsetting you and think about getting skype on your mobile that way you can chat but don't have to see each other all the time.

As regards friendships, they are never going to be exactly the same as what you had but hopefully you will meet people that you get on with and can have a laugh with also friendships take time and the friendships you had in the UK probably took years to develop so you have to give it time, get out meet as many people as you can some people you like and some you don't and vice versa but i don't think you can compare friends to the ones you had as they cannot be replaced.

Hope this helps

Jo x

Guest Admar72

Hi Prema,

I have to agree with Chorley Girl, i too would find it much harder without skype. It just makes me feel that bit closer to friends and family being able to see them whilst we chat and i know that it's been a godsend for our family after all we're the ones that left them! We usually chat to friends/family every couple of nights. So what if you have a good cry, there's nothing wrong with that it's good to let out your emotions. I'm sure it'll become easier in time and although we can never replace our beloved friends back in the UK there's lots of new people to meet and become good friends with who we would never had met if we hadn't taken the plunge and made the move.

Maria x

Incase anyone is interested a RTX Dualphone 3088 Skype Cordless Phone is a handset that can make skype calls without a computer. It plugs in to your internet router and can optionally also plug into your landline and act as a normal phone. I ordered one for us and one for parents, we have been using ours albeit both in the UK with great success. I think it is going to be a really usefull device when we move in August.

The advantage of using these over other skype methods is that just like a standard phone they are always on, so you can call anytime. Just make sure everyone is aware of the timezones!!

Cheers

The router connection is definitely the same as they are all RJ45 connections. The phone connection will need an adapter if it was bought in the UK but will work, I am fairly confident of this as when you turn the phone on for the first time you have to select the country of use and Australia is one of the choices!!

And have aslo found this review:

RTX DUALphone 3088 (Skype/DECT) Reviews - alaTest Australia

... but i don't think you can compare friends to the ones you had as they cannot be replaced.

A friend of mine who bought a house in Melbourne to be near her daughter and spends half the year there, half the year back "home" in the UK once said to me "Old friends are gold, new friends are silver".

I think you - and she - are right, you can never really replace friends you've grown up with...:sad:

Oh this is hard one...I remember when we first arrived ( nearly 5 years ago)...we were constantly on MSN, constant emails...not sure if SKYPE was around then...

I think it was harder for my eldest daughter, who at the time was struggling to settle. She was constantly hearing about what all her friends were doing in the Uk...and just made it harder for her to settle..

As for SKYPE...well we used it alot, when we first found out about it...but that has kind of dried up now. BUT...the best thing about it was, i was able to see and speak to my nan, who at the age of 94, lives in a nursing home. They held an Australia Day in the nursing home, and thought it would be a lovely idea for her to speak to us over here. So they set it all up for her...and sat her in front of the computer...she had no idea what was going on! So for the first time in over 4 years, i saw her...well of course we just both cried and cried...

I think you just have to do what you feel is right....there is no right or wrong answer...

Guest allie

I honestly couldnt be here without it! I love being able to chat to my mum and friends and see them while Im doing it :) It makes it so much easier. On Christmas day we opened pressies from family on skype so that they could watch and vice versa - that really helped my mother in law too. Of course it can be upsetting but the benefits outweigh that for me.

As for friends - give it time! It would be a little odd if the people that you have just met here started being overly familiar as the relationship hasnt got to that yet. It probably will with some friends if you are patient and let the friendship develop naturally. You will never replace the people that have known you for years but you will meet people know who will know you years into the future :)