For those who can vote....

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Guest Guest75
Can you vote if you are pr and not a citizen .Been here 4 years .

No,you have to be a full citizen to vote.

You have to do it by law as well - or get fined!!!!

I like this!!!

No,you have to be a full citizen to vote.

Not quite right, see below

Many long term permanent residents believe they are Australian citizens because they are able to vote or may have served in the Australian armed services. Until 1984, people born in the United Kingdom could enrol to vote without being Australian citizens.

Whether you are a citizen of Australia depends on your date of arrival. The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 came into effect on 26 January 1949. At that time, British citizens (or people naturalised as British citizens) living in Australia became Australian citizens provided they had been living in Australia for five years prior to that date.

British citizens, who had been ordinarily resident in Australia for the five year period between 26 January 1944 and 26 January 1949, automatically acquired Australian citizenship when the Citizenship Act came into effect on 26 January 1949.

Since then the Citizenship Act has been amended many times. These amendments and the transitional arrangements and provisions of the first citizenship Act have meant that some people could have automatically acquired or lost Australian citizenship over the intervening years.

In the UK, Commonwealth citizens can vote provided they are on the electoral register. So my Australian husband could vote no problems when we lived in England.

I think if you pay taxes you should be entitled to vote!!!

However, if I did have a vote I would find it hard to choose who to vote for :confused: It's the White Witch v the Mad Monk !

No 4 on the "Mad Monks" contract list on TV appeals to me.

Liberals launch new TV commercial with a message from Tony Abbott | Australian Conservative

Stevo

You can't get more plain speaking than that!

He's an intriguing character, he was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford University (like Bill Clinton, Bob Hawke, Kim Beazley, Malcolm Turnbull, Rod Eddington) so can't be as thick as he seems!