Dog parks and walking

snifter

Mods - Sorry if this is not the best section, I did look for a more suitable place but couldn't find one that seemed to fit so thought I'd post it here and you'd move it if it needs it :)

My main concern moving over is our dog(s). I am concerned about the flight (we have a whippet who gets stressed easily and are planning on getting another soonish) and then the quarantine being down in Melbourne :| 8 hours at least to go collect them and it'll mean no visiting during their 30 days! But thats a short term thing I am sure it'll all be ok.

I'm also concerned about the lack of extended dog walking trails. I know dog parks exist and there are some good ones, but as I am sure many know, its very different to the UK in terms of being able to go tramp across a public footpath out in the countryside or a field or two on the outskirts of a town. Its often a confined fenced in space that doesn't really stretch a dog unless they really run about and play or chase a ball.

I adore the English countryside and love walking my dog but don't wish to be confined to visiting dog parks round the city. I know the beachs can be used but for me that isn't where I like to walk the dog, at least not on a daily basis.

Are there any trail type dog parks/walks to be found around the city? As in walks in parklands where dogs can be off lead but not be within a smallish fenced in area. If so are they clean and decent to use?

Many thanks in advance :)

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Snifter.

we live at seaford Rise and our dogs love the beach but also we have a massive dog walking area called Pedlers Creak just down the road between Grand Blvd and Commercial rd which your whippet can run and run and run through the grass also theres a dog asult course up at Christies beach with a great area for dogs to run.

As for going to Melbourne to pick them up, we got ours flown down to Adelaide with Jet Pets and had no problems at all in quantine.

There are the dog areas you just gotta know where they are.

Hi

We've got a border collie who also needs to run plenty! We live in Highbury, near to the Torrens Linear Park - it's dog friendly (or "Hound Ground" as they sign it!) in the Tea Tree Gully Council area (this side of the park) with dogs allowed off lead as long as they're under effective control. Loads of space to run, chase balls (our dog's obsession!!) and - apart from in the height of the summer when the river is very low - swim, paddle and slurp the water to cool down!!

The park runs all the way along the river from the hills to the coast at Henley, but different councils have different dog rules - there is talk of getting one body to manage the whole park, fingers crossed they'll make it all dog friendly if it ever happens!! Your OH will be able to tell you though that in Adelaide, nothing happens fast! (have heard it called "Adelayed"!). Plenty of people who live in suburbs on the other side of the river (Athelstone is across from us) come over to this side to let their dogs have a run. Here's a pic of our dog in the park near us (not very good with putting pics on so hope it works!)..

riverdog.jpg

HTH

Diane

Guest nicandchris

hi ive just logged onto this post and im really happy to hear that Highbury and this park is dog friendly, we hope to come with our dogs and lve been really looking at this area to live in so alls good! Great pic by the way!

nic

Thanks for your replies. Its good to know there are more adventurous walks than just the square penned dog parks I noticed dotted round.

Plus I am not a fan of masses of dogs congregating together all the time. I like to be able to actually walk and keep moving forwards with mine.

I'm currently trying t get rough prices for flying our dog out but as yet no one has gotten back to me on pricing. Seems blooming expensive for a dog but I'd not leave him behind. Nor another if we get one.

Can I ask how much it cost you (ballpark would be fine if don't want to be exact) as to how much it cost to ship your dogs over? I understand its not so much how many are shipped but the crate size. Is that right?

Whippets love to cuddle up so if we have two at the time of moving I'd be hoping to ship them in the same crate together so they can be more settled. My reading seems to indicate this can happen so long as they both have enough room to stand and move round.

Guest angiestaff
Can I ask how much it cost you (ballpark would be fine if don't want to be exact) as to how much it cost to ship your dogs over? I understand its not so much how many are shipped but the crate size. Is that right?

Whippets love to cuddle up so if we have two at the time of moving I'd be hoping to ship them in the same crate together so they can be more settled. My reading seems to indicate this can happen so long as they both have enough room to stand and move round.

hi

we bought 2 staffies over last year, and i'm pretty sure that we were told that couldn't be in the same crate...something to do with possible injuries maybe?...i may be wrong

the following cost us just over $9000(approx):

blood test/vet stuff

crates

transport to heathrow/and staying in parair kennel the night beofre flights...all organised through parair in uk

quarantine for 1 month

flights and transport from sydney to adelaide...organised through jetpets

we had no probs with parair, dealt with a lovely lady called rachel,very helpful and understanding, same with jetpets the bloke that collected them from quarantine was great and kept us informed every step of the way

ange x

it would be a good post (unless it has already been done somewhere) to have lists of dog walking areas... we are just researching and finding our way to take our dog gradually..but here are some places we go...

onkaparinga recreational park along the river (but not the national park)

woodcroft tangari park (pimpala pine / Reynell rd) off leash

marion dog park (worth the visit just to socialize the dog, plus it tires him out pretty quick) off leash

o'sullivans beach off leash

morialta falls from the picnic area to the last car park (short few k walk but beautiful all the same) on leash though.

Wilfred taylor reserve (wheatsheaf rd / states rd) off leash

cycle routes between onkapringa hills & mclaren vale & willunga also to moana beach, but i guess anywhere on cycle routes we have walked and just parked the car close to an entrance of one part of it and walked there and back, these can take you off the main streets too...

waterfall gully.. only up to the second falls... and not all the way to mount lofty (even though i could have done with the dog to pull me up that hill)...

i have heard parts of belair national park too but haven't tried that yet

but overall i am just trialling them as we go on to build up the knowledge of our local areas and this takes you to some beautiful places that we probably wouldn't have tried without the dog.

Nice long off lead walk in Linear Park

If you're driving first, park at the bottom of Nursery Way, Highbury, or Historic Drive, Highbury. Turn left and walk along the path until you can't go any further, turn back and walk alongside the river, past where you parked and to the right until you get to Dernancourt (or signs telling you to put the dog on a lead), turn back and walk back along the path back to your car! Look out for koalas on your way!! Should take couple of hours - unless you power walk!!

P1010333Small.jpg

Thanks for that Diane I can now take Dutchess somewhere new to go mad. She will love to run in the river.

Tamara

Just look out for a mad ball-obsessed border collie, and avoid her at all costs if you can...Loves people...hates other dogs!! It was lovely out there this morning I must admit (although bloomin' cold - wouldn't have got me swimming in the river I can tell you!) with the grey heron flying overhead, a fluffy koala in the tree opposite our house, and lots of squeaky rosella-type things flitting around! Only thing the park lacks really is a nice little cafe somewhere serving hot mugs of tea!!