recession

taffordbark

Guest Damien

No way. We went through the last recession in the UK. Building just stopped. Here there is loads of work in the building trade. In the UK we talked ourselves into a recession, the news was all doom and gloom every day and we convinced ourselves not to buy houses etc making the situation even worse. Hopefully the media here won't do the same.

Guest kangomik

Things don't look to good for the next few months in certain industries. Recession my be a strong word, down turn may be better?

There are a few jobs out there, but not many people are moving. Sticking safe at the moment seems to be their option.

The dollars still strong and i know some farmers are struggling because of this. The Aussie market is a hard one to suss out, but good to watch.

I do wonder why they want to limit migration so much, unless of course they can see whats just over the horizon, especially when there was such a HUGE skills shortage not to long ago. Would you want to be in power with a high unemployment rate?

Flip it over, less people comming means job security for those in work.

Guest guest569

things always " slow down " this time of year. maybe the interest rates and elections may make things slow down more and for longer but you can be sure when its hot and xmas hols when you want to be off with your family you will be flat out !!! The whinging poms will moan about that then !!!:biglaugh:

It's mid winter - most folk feel a little down.

Thats it ;)

Sensible answer - As a sufferer of SAD syndromemyself, I know how easy it is to get negative and see doom and gloom at every turn . You don't have to let it happen like we seem to have in the UK.

Stay positive!

I work for myself and for the last few years always been busy. Always notice at this time of year things slow down a bit people waiting for tax returns businesses just getting there budget fixed out and holding back. Starts to pick up and goes mad start of December.

Taffordbark,

you may want to follow this guy's blog

Delusional Economics

He's been posting for a while so there are lots of old blogs to read.

Lots of people think that things are heading downwards - such as chinese demand and Australian house prices. Australians are heavily in debt, the USA economy is struggling, Europe is undergoing 'austery measures' - so some think the world economy will have another meltdown or else a long period of stagnation.

It seems that all the economic indicators are contradictory - one load of statistics will say one thing, the next load will say the exact opposite. So who knows what will happen.

One thing's for sure - the Australian public will be the last to realise what's going on!!