Whats this all about....

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Should a mother be allowed to feed her baby in public?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should a mother be allowed to feed her baby in public?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

you get to see more with a bloke sitting next to you looking at page 3 of the sun!!! bloody ridiculous, baby needs feeding= feed it, unless they want it to scream the bus down!!:arghh:

Guest nicandchris

Hi as a mum of a six month old whom i have bf since birth i think that definately mothers should have the right to feed their baby where ever they need to. Its the most natural behaviour in the world (as is allowing your children to play on the beach naked - recent news in the UK) and at times a necessity. As pointed out the mother can be descreet about it of course but as most mums know its a nightmare trying to plan a trip out with your baby (even if just to the shops) and if it infringes on feeding time then the baby needs feeding full stop!!

If people feel uncomfortable or awkward seeing a mother breastfeeding her baby, they've got issues. Breasts were designed for this and babies need to feed whenever they want. Breastfeeding is a right, not a privelege and in Australia it is illegal to discriminate against breastfeeding women.

Guest Trakki

I have bf all 5 of mine, 4 in the uk and 1 here and I must say that I felt more uncomfortable here than in the UK, even though I feed very discreetly the baby isn't always oblinging in that. My last 2 decided that making the loudest guzzling noises when feeding was a good idea so although nothing could be seen it was obvious what I was doing :goofy:. Would the bus driver complain if a mother whipped out a bottle to feed the baby? No! In some countries itis actually illegal to stop a mother bfing, can't remember which but I know when I did my BF counsellor course this is the case, should be everywhere as a baby needs feeding and by stoppping a mother you are in a sense starving the baby and I for one would rather sit next to a woman feeding a baby than have it screaming its head off on the bus!!!

ANyway rant over lol

That's madness!! Not experienced it here but def felt uncomfortable in the UK in public places but yes there are discreet ways to feed a baby.

I have heard that the midwife etc here are very pro breast feeding and form what I have seen it is more the norm here than the UK so you would think the public would be more used to it???

Poor woman really feel for her! I would have told the bus driver where does he gets off telling her that she can't feed the baby! or helped and sat in front off her so the driver could stop staring at her and concentrate on driving the bus!!!

It sounds like this story might be a beat up tho as if you click the link to the Daily Mail.....a story within a story one might say......there is a question as to whether it happened that way as there is footage from the bus......whether or not this story is truly reported even in Adelaide we've had issues like this . There have been cafe's that have told mothers to stop breastfeeding or leave but because it has been reported those restaurants have gotten negative publicity. I personally have no issue with it but I know my parents era would have found it embarassing. Not sure why because it's not like you can see anything anyway.

Guest cornish Busdriver

What im waiting for is people to start jumping on the busdriver for this but the driver is just following companys policies.

When it come to babys there are rules that are the same in the UK and here.

1. Babies are not allowed to be changed (nappys) on the bus for health and safety reasons.

2. breastfeeding is not allowed when the bus is moving for safety reasons OR if another passenger complains about it.

3. Pushchairs / buggys must be folded and stored if the bus has steps for safety reasons.

4.Pushchairs / buggys must be folded and stored if someone in a wheelchair needs that space for safety reasons.

5. Children have to be restrained and not running round the bus for safety reasons.

And one i wish they had here as we did in Cornwall, If a child / baby is screaming that loud that its distracting the driver; the driver has the right to stop the bus and wait untill the screaming stops or ask the person to get off the bus and get the next one as long as it is in a populated and safe area and not in the middle of no-where.

Anything that the parent can do to stop a child screaming in a public place gets my vote!! Even if it means the father breastfeeding it!!

Mind you, I draw the line once the child is running around in school uniform - now I would definitely frown on a mother breastfeeding then....

Guest downunder123

Im not sure why woman wouldn't prefer to get their zaps out to feed their baby when they get off the bus in a more private environment, (unless I suppose if they are on a particularly long bus journey) im sure it can wait. Im not sure why cornish bus driver reckons that "breast feeding is not allowed when a bus is moving for safety reasons"?

I hardly think getting your zaps out on a moving bus more makes it any more unsafe??

Guest cornish Busdriver
Anything that the parent can do to stop a child screaming in a public place gets my vote!! Even if it means the father breastfeeding it!!

Mind you, I draw the line once the child is running around in school uniform - now I would definitely frown on a mother breastfeeding then....

:biglaugh: bitty :biglaugh:

Guest cornish Busdriver
Im not sure why woman wouldn't prefer to get their zaps out to feed their baby when they get off the bus in a more private environment, (unless I suppose if they are on a particularly long bus journey) im sure it can wait. Im not sure why cornish bus driver reckons that "breast feeding is not allowed when a bus is moving for safety reasons"?

I hardly think getting your zaps out on a moving bus more makes it any more unsafe??

I think its somthing to do with the bus company can not be held responsible if the bus go's over a bump and the baby gets drops, knocked or chokes.

Its the american sue for anything and everything culture thats screwing everything up and bus companys wont take the chance.

Guest guest3462

If you are hungry, or thirsty, are you made to wait until you are in private or made to eat your greasy maccas in the toilets where nobody can see your ugly mush guzzling away? No you are not.

Mothers who choose to feed their children should be praised and rewarded for giving their baby the most wonderful start in life that is possible and if shallow narrow minded fools like yourself don't like it - then don't bloody look!!!

It infuriates me that mothers should be made to feel bad or dirty for providing for their children. Breasts, strangely enough are not sexual toys or objects of desire. They are an essential tool for feeding a baby in the best, most natural and chemical free way.

Global marketing of formula feeding and the sexual oggling of sexist and pathetic "men" has all but destroyed one of natures most wonderful experiences for both mother and child. Women should never feel embarrased or degraded for feeding their child and it really makes me mad!!!

Guest downunder123

No, you dont have to wait to go in private or be forced to eat it in the toilets inside Mcdonalds as believe it or not Mcdonalds has been designed to cater for people to eat in.

If I brought a kebab and walked onto the bus, im sure the bus driver would ask me to not bring it on the bus? Also in a taxi etc.

Im not sure Cornish bus driver was saying he didnt like it- he was just stating the rules based on his experience so "shallow minded" might be a little harsh on him.

Guest guest3462

Actually I am fully aware that "Cornish" is following his workplace health and safety regulations and none of my comments we meant to offend or disrespect him in any way.

Guest downunder123

Church- you seem to have a habit of geting perosnal when someone disagrees with you. Im not sure though if you read back to what I put you are able to really validate by my remarks that I am shallow minded or sexist. Nor have I stipulated whether I am infact a Man or Woman.

All I implied was that most woman prefer to get their zaps out in a more private environment than on bus and most woman probably just wait till they goet off the bus or breast feed before they get on a bus. You then went on with a very immature comment about how its the same as saying people should eat in Mcdonalds toilets - I just fail to see how eating in a restaurant is an apples for apples comparison as on a bus?

Guest cornish Busdriver
Actually I am fully aware that "Cornish" is following his workplace health and safety regulations and none of my comments we meant to offend or disrespect him in any way.

No offence or dis-respect felt or taken here and actualy i agree with church.

I cant see any problem with women breast feeding anywhere at all, doesnt bother me one little bit; i just abide by the company rules even though i have been know to streach them to there limits quiet a few times.

But from the bus companys point of view: if the bus is traveling between 60 - 100kmh and the driver has to brake sharply, take avasive action, go's over a bump in the road or numerous other things and the baby gets dropped, knocked then the bus company would be liable for a law suit. There just covering there own ass's and you cant blame them realy.

Guest downunder123

Foxychick has a point - about whether its any safer to hold your baby than holding whilst breast feeding. If anything its more safe when breast feeding as there is some sort of cushion being provided - almost like a mini air bag but for a baby.

Guest cornish Busdriver
I can see the point of the H&S Law on the busses, but how are people expected to transport their baby, if they are not in the pushchair, holding is the same as holding to breastfeed?

Reading the original story, seems like not all was as it seemed

How did people transport the kids before there was lowfloor bus's that parents could wheel the kids in pushchaires onto.

Bus companys dont make the law when it comes to pushchaires or buggys on busses thats a goverment and federal law.

It states that if the bus has steps then pushchairs, prams, wheelchairs must be folded and stored in a safe out of the way manner that it will not affect or hinder an emergency evacuation. which meens the space front to rear of the bus between the seats must be kept clear. On Lowfloor buses there is space for wheelchairs, pushchairs and OAP scooters, however a pushchair must be folded and stored if a person in a wheelchair needs that space.

When it comes to breast feeding on busses the only time i have asked someone to stop is because of when a passenger has come up to me and asked me to stop them and done it just to cover my own ass.

Guest Trakki

but surely if a mother is holding a baby it is just as at risk of getting dropped as if it was feeding. When a baby is feeding the mother is probably holding it tighter than if it wasn't and the bus rules sort of contradict themselves as they say that if a baby is crying and causing a distraction then the mum can be asked to get off the bus however if she then BF the baby to stop it crying and causing a distraction she can be asked to get of off the bus!!! Does this apply for bottle fed babies too as surely they are just as at risk of being dropped when feeding as a BF baby!!!! As for a woman getting her 'zaps' out, I for one have never got them out, you lift your top enough for the baby to feed and put a blanket over so nothing can be seen, noone has ever seen my 'zaps' (very strange word for breasts!!!) when I am feeding, so much so that when my youngest (1 today) was a few days old my daughter asked when he was going to eat as she had never seen him eat, when I told her how he fed she was amazed and said, I have never noticed mummy, so if a child that I am with 24/7 has never noticed how does that equate to getting your breasts out???

At church said it is the most natural thing (doesn't work for everyone) but when it does work women should be praised. What do calfs, lambs, foals, puppies, kittens etc feed on?? Thats right their mum and thats not deemed disgusting so why should it be for humans????

Another rant over sorry

At church said it is the most natural thing (doesn't work for everyone) but when it does work women should be praised. What do calfs, lambs, foals, puppies, kittens etc feed on?? Thats right their mum and thats not deemed disgusting so why should it be for humans????

Hated it myself...have 4 kids, and once i got over the guilt that was being put on me from health professionals and family alike with my first (she is now 20)..didn't even bother with the others...

So from another point of view...those who choose not to shouldn't be treated as inferior...or being a bad mother etc.........

Guest Trakki
Hated it myself...have 4 kids, and once i got over the guilt that was being put on me from health professionals and family alike with my first (she is now 20)..didn't even bother with the others...

So from another point of view...those who choose not to shouldn't be treated as inferior...or being a bad mother etc.........

And thats what I said doesn't work for everyone and some just don't want to not got a problem with it at all I was just pointing out that why should a woman BF be asked to stop feeding the baby when a bottle fed baby is fine to feed anywhere. Certainly was not getting at those that don't or can't feed, yes I fed all 5 of mine but 1 of them I only fed for 2 weeks. Yes health care professionals do make you feel bad if you don't but a lot of the time this is because they 'have' to promote BF. In my eyes do what you want to do as long as the baby is fed and healthy who cares how it gets the milk but don't persecute those that do BF their babies cause it is a natural thing to do. Didn't mean to offend and sorry if I did.