A quick vote?!?!

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

Just a quick vote to gain a concenous.

A mate of mine (a male) is finding it particularly difficult to get work out here.

Previously a manager of a floor but still struggling.

Hes now thinking of being a child minder but thinks cos he is male that it would go against him for obvious reasons.

He has kids of his own and married to a cop so of good stock (not that matters i guess) but would you employ him?

opinions would be appreciated immensley

Yes, dont think people mind so much, iv'e done a few cleaning jobs and no-one seems bothered that i'm a male who likes cleaning, not sure with childminding whether you have to have some kind of cert to do it though, might be interested in hiring him myself sometime!!!!!!!

Simon

Guest Nick11

I would.

I work in a pre school/long day care centre.

The problem would be that he is unqualified and if he wanted to work in long day care ...without any previous work experience..it may be difficult. Yes I know being a dad he would have mountains of experience...but it wouldn't really count.

Now if he is thinking of setting up his home as family day care..it is totally different.

His house would have to meet sa licensing rules (safety glass in all windows etc) and he would have to take a child minding course.

If he feels its his calling..good on him..if he feels it would be a cushy number...he is totally deluded. Lots of hard work for very poor wages.

Guest mark&rachel
I would.

I work in a pre school/long day care centre.

The problem would be that he is unqualified and if he wanted to work in long day care ...without any previous work experience..it may be difficult. Yes I know being a dad he would have mountains of experience...but it wouldn't really count.

Now if he is thinking of setting up his home as family day care..it is totally different.

His house would have to meet sa licensing rules (safety glass in all windows etc) and he would have to take a child minding course.

If he feels its his calling..good on him..if he feels it would be a cushy number...he is totally deluded. Lots of hard work for very poor wages.

wo wo wo

Is just a quick vote and yes he knows he needs to be qualified etc but is exploring his options. I think being a father he would realise its not a cushy number - far from it.

Im a working father of 3 and work is a break!!!

Guest katsmajic

I know a 'manny' and hes great, but says it was so hard to get work though even with his qualifications as he often got raised eyebrow looks when he went for trials, parents were asked if they minded there being a male childminder in the centre.

He's an aussie and was working in Norwood.

Guest Peachie

I don't think it matters to most people what sex the childminder is!!!! won't he leave his kids with a bloke??? I think its sad that the question was asked in this so called equal modern society!

In answer I would have to feel the person has a genuine interest in my childs happiness, devleopment and welfair more than than how much they would make from them so it would be about if I and my child take to the carer than their gender and some kids may be more comfortable with a male so could be an advantage

there isn't much cash or prestege in childcare thats why theres not many blokes in it but there weren't many blokes in nursing till it paid better now almost 40% of the staff in my unit are blokes

Guest familygood

Personally I think its extremely beneficial to have male carers for children. However I used to work in a childrens centre in UK and we had a male nursery asst and the abuse he got from some of the parents was shocking... some even to the point of refusing that he cared for their children. Not saying that would happen everywhere but he might need a thick skin to deal with some of the thick headedness of some people!!

Guest The Dimmocks

When my eldest was at a private nursery in UK there was a male worker there. He was really good with kids and my daughter really took to him. He really enjoyed his job, sadly he had to leave as had health problems and was gutted he couldnt carry on looking after children. Personally I would have no problem with a male looking after my kids. As long the children are cared for and looked after well then it shouldnt matter what sex they are.

Guest Chandan

Firstly I think its a great question... as what is acceptable in one country might not be acceptable in another. not every place is up to date on equality.

In the Uk I was a nanny and my first job had 5 kids, when I left the family (who had 4 boys and a girl) employed a male aupair. I was so chuffed as the father worked away from home alot and besides teachers at school didnt have a male role figure around often than what they needed.

I also worked in a private Montessori Nursery who employed a ex army guy (who the kids loved and my son who atteneded the nursery loved him and still mentions him a year and a bit later) and also two other males. My boss was sick of 'catty' teenage girls constantly being unprofessional (I understand not every teenage girl is like that).

I would love to be rich enough to employ a Manny...

As far as the whole Nanny/Childminder bit to the question, I returned 8 weeks ago with 12 years of nannying under my belt. I (or anyone with experience with child care) can work as a nanny with a first aid cert and a police check that is focused on working with kids.

I would however be required by law do a Cert III in childrens services by (I think) 2012. I was able to work in the nursery unqualified in the UK but would have to go to Uni for 4 years to obtain a Early Childhood Diploma.

I thought long and hard as the Cert III and another course I would have done would take me 2 years I figured I should follow my dream of being a midwife and it takes only 3 years. So you have to be pretty sure. I would also have to agree the pay is peanuts for childcare. Check out nanny websites like Nanny SA and there is a few more.

Working 'cash in hand' isnt particularly viable either as most families get great rebates on childcare its not worth doing it under the table (and its very naughty). Hope this helps

Good luck in whatever you do.

I think you are not with the times I was mearly pointing out what hire a hubby do see website

Hire A Hubby: Australia's leading handyman and property maintenance service provider

Gosh, Ian, and there was me thinking they'd take over all of Hubby's 'duties' ! Silly me, thanks for clearing that one up - could have been embarrassing!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

My son worked at the before and after school club and a dinner person (if I said lady he would kill me) in the same school as myself in England. The kids loved him. If my ex workmates email me they still say the kids miss my son. Even the head teacher still says they miss him because the he was a role model for the boys.

Anyway, at the school my boys go to here they have a male classroom assistant and the kids love him. They think he's great. So yes I would use a male childminder etc.

I think your mate should look into it and see what he would have to do, what as he got to loose.

Regards Janine