Watering my garden - angry neighbour

Guest Nomoreengland

Guest Nomoreengland

I have recently arrived and I was watering my garden plants with a hose for a few hours as they looked quite dead, I left it running whilst I went out for a few hours and when I got back my neighbour was going spare saying I had been wasting water. It turned into a heated exchange as I basically told him that I didn’t appreciate him telling me what I could do in my own back garden. I told him that I was paying for my water so I could use as much as I liked, its not like there is a drought or anything as it has rained nearly every day since I have arrived. He is nothing more than a nosy busybody, are all of I hope my other neighbours have better things to do than get angry about people watering their garden.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Trakki

I have to agree with ian mc, there are water restrictions and whereas I can see where you are coming from that it is your garden and you pay for your water there are rules on when you can water and for how long. Even though there has been rain alot lately once summer comes there is little or no rain and water does become short so you have to abide by these laws. Your neighbour may have not gone the right way about telling you but I am afraid he is in the right.

Guest Nomoreengland

Im not really sure how leaving my water on for a few hours is gonna mena that suddenly there will be no water left in Adelaide.

Before I left enlgand there was a "hose pipe ban" - clearly in england no one takes notice of this as I very much doubt England will ever run out of water considering it rains every day.

As for Adelaide, ok yes they may have dry summers, but if I pay my water bills and want to run my sprinklers for a few hours in order to have a nice garden then Im sure neighbours should have better things to be worried about than this. I never have baths (showers use less water) so Im going to use the amount of water I save on not having a bath to turn my sprinklers on to have a nice garden.

What about people with swimming pools - do you think that they have never used their hose to keep topping their water up ? Also, how on earth did they ever fill up their swimming pool in the first place?

Also, the Neighbour said something about you are allowed to use your water after 7pm at night for a bit?? I really cant see how using my hose pipe at 2pm in the day is gonna make much difference than using it at 7pm?

Guest salisbury massive

I take it you've not been here long, water is more precious than gold here. I'd have a look on your council website for some guidelines on when you can water. Your general observations in your last post could really annoy people who live in the dryest state in the dryest continent in the world, regardless of whether its been raining or not.

Jo

Guest the4hopes

I think when you have been here for a bit longer you will understand, there are rules and everyone has to stick to them I'm afraid. Leaving the water running for a few hours is quite a long time! Especially when you say that it has been raining almost every day since you got here, the garden surely wasn't that dry?

If you are renting you may have a copy of the water restriction rules in your paperwork.

Guest guest3462

You have to apply for special water permits from SA water if you are landscaping your garden and these are usually granted if you purchase a new lawn. Same goes for filling swimming pools, you can't just switch on the hose i'm afraid. In water restriction periods (all year round here in Adelaide) you can water for 30 mins between 7am-9am and 7pm-9pm. Above ground Sprinkler systems are a complete no no and if you get caught with these you can get a big fine. It is best to invest in an underground irrigation system. This gives every household their fair share of watering. You could invest in a rainwater tank or put a bucket in your shower to collect the water and use that. You can also get special grey water hoses to use all your excess laundry water on your garden if you need to use extra water.

From what I understand, the fines handed out for excess wastage of water are very hefty and the council do not look lightly upon it. Your neighbour was being concerned, but probably went about it in the wrong manner, i'd try to talk to him about it and maybe he can give you some water saving tips?

Guest Damien

I reckon our very own wind up merchant should take up fishing, he hooks SO many people on here :) It's always the same immature crappy use of grammar and verse that gives it away.

Funny how each time the username has only a few posts too ;)

just arrived but got a sprinkler-nah!

just arrived and pays for own water in a rental..cant own a home in 2.5 weeks(look back to previous post)

just arrived and your rental plants important!!

just arrived and been so wet ..they are dry....need to water in this rain...yeah!! yeah!! yeah!! he's back!!!!

and he prob so sad he watches comments without signing in.....

Guest Nomoreengland

Hi Me123 - WOW TOTALLY SHOCKED at your respone. To justify myself (not sure why I have to??) here goes:

1. Yes I have a sprinkler - landlord has a fitted sprinkler system

2. Why - dont you have to pay your own water? I will have to check my tenancy agreement but im sure I have to pay this? I certainly have to pay my own gas & electric.

3. Yes - plants and the garden are important for me - Ive always had green fingers!

4. Yes - although its raining all the time at the moment, the area where there are plants is a little covered by the metal fence and bushes which hangover, which is probably why the landlord has a sprinkler system fitted in the first place.

Clearly me123 you have little care for your garden. A little miffed what your problem is - your clearly unhappy with your life to react to a very minor complaint about a bad neighbour and a bit of water.