Changes in 13 years

ian mc

I have been here for 13 years now was here when there was no southern expressway when the the only high rise in Glenelg was the revolving restaurant and the end of Anzac hwy was a big car park.There was a bowling alley across from magic mountain both which are not there now There was a ferry that used to run from Glenelg to Kangaroo Island the oil refinery was producing petrol instead of being in mothballs anyone else remember changes since being here

I have been here for 13 years now was here when there was no southern expressway when the the only high rise in Glenelg was the revolving restaurant and the end of Anzac hwy was a big car park.There was a bowling alley across from magic mountain both which are not there now There was a ferry that used to run from Glenelg to Kangaroo Island the oil refinery was producing petrol instead of being in mothballs anyone else remember changes since being here

Don't get me started on the changes to Glenelg!! I lived there between 1994 and 1997 and the changes to Glenelg are huge.The worst thing is that the Lamb Spit (yiros) is no longer there near the tram!! It was an institution! Plus the trams have those horrible adverts all over the windows, I remember the old ones with no air-conditioning where you had to carefully open the window with a leather strap and you could move the seat backs to make the seat face the right way. Also the St Vincents Hotel has been transformed into a trendy pub (can't remember its name) - St Leonards Tavern (Lennies) is now called the Watermark, Magic Mountain is no longer, and what about that awful Woolworths on Brighton Road - such an eyesore! The waterslides at Magic Mountain were better than now, and the ferry used to go every day to and from Kangaroo Island, leaving from the end of the jetty. We used to live on North Esplanade and would watch it coming back in the evening, pulling up at the jetty, some evenings it was a bit choppy and the passengers would have a hard time disembarking! It went bust eventually but it was a really nice boat, I think it had previously taken passengers to Rottnest Island in Perth.

I don't know the southern suburbs that well but they have changed a lot too. So much more built up than they were, lots more industry and shops and advertising hoardings along the road and loads of houses inland from Moana - there used to be much more countryside. There are new suburbs too which aren't in our old Street Directory!!

Harbour Town never used to be there, nor Ikea, and Adelaide Airport is totally different. Port Adelaide now has loads of new houses, and the Port Expressway makes it so much quicker to get out of suburbs heading north. The road to the freeway through the hills used to have some real sharp hairpins before they built the tunnels.

So yes, there is a lot more development, new roads etc.

Oh yes, loads more poms. I only knew one when I lived here before, now I hear accents all over the place!

Have to admit that I missed the old trams when I was there back in April. Although they did run them on weekends as a museum piece in the Glenelg area. Not all the way into the city anymore, only as far as a depo.

And I'd never have recognised the airport this trip. Totally different to previous visits.

I did notice a few other things changed round Glenleg but nothing sticks out as I didn't spend as much time there in the past as I did this most recent trip. We stayed with my MIL and her house is spitting distance to Jetty road so spent loads of time in and around the neighbourhood. Tis a lovely place and I'd certainly like to live somewhere near there if we can manage it.