Our 2 week update

Cannons

Hi Guys,

Well I can't believe it has only been 2 weeks since we arrived it feels more like 4 weeks probably because we've never stopped. Derek had a meeting the day after we arrived regarding work and was offered a job there and then so that was a huge weight off our minds and meant we were able to get on with all the other important jobs like sorting out medicare, driving licences, family assistance, tax file numbers to bigger things like buying a car, securing a rental and getting kids into school. Also since being pregnant I have had quite a few appointments with doctors and midwives which has also included a trip to the Emergency Department!!!!!!!!!!! which I could have done without having only been here a week at the time but thankfully it all turned out ok.

Have to say the weather hasn't been quite what we expected and having spoke to a few aussies they are saying its the coldest winter for years and years, but it can only get better and it hasn't stopped me going to the beach's a few times which I have to say are stunning.

I have been really surprised at how friendly and helpful the locals have been and its so refreshing to walk into a shop even and be asked 'hows it goin?' and told to 'enjoy the rest of your day', certainly something that never happened in the UK.

The rental we have secured is in Seaford Meadows and is a lovely new build. My son started School on Tuesday in Year 1 and when he came out I asked him how it went and he said 'Its the best school in the world' so cute, my daughter will start Reception in October. It will seem strange both of them being away all day but with No 3 due on 6th October its probably quite a good thing. We unfortunately can't move into our rental for a few weeks yet as our container isn't due until 17th September.

I think the hardest thing I have found is the food shopping and prices you immediately think things are so expensive (which a lot of stuff is) cause your looking at dollars and then I'm trying to work out what it would be in pounds which I know I have to try and stop doing, I am slowly getting used to shopping about rather than just getting everything in the one place.

We still haven't managed to meet up with anyone from PIA properly yet but maybe once the better weather comes in there will be more opportunity to get out and meet people.

Derek is settling in at work slowly (this is only his first week) and although its the same type of work as he was doing back home think it will take a while to get used to it. Good thing is he's got a work van so one less expense we thought we'd have.

Haven't seen much wildlife yet a few Kangaroos at a distance, some huge Pelicans flying over the Ocean and lots of big Hairy Caterpillars!! Thankfully no spiders yet!!

Everything seems to have fallen into place for us so far and after such a bad run of luck in the UK we are hopeful that it will continue. So what do we think of South Australia so far - well despite the weather we think its HEAPS GOOD!!!! ;)

Advice to those thinking of coming - just do it, we came with very little money and are managing to make it work it has been a hectic 2 weeks but we are pretty sorted now and have a good feeling all the stress and hard work will have been worth it!!

Look forward to getting to meet some of you in the coming months and thanks for all your help and advice in getting us to where we are now :notworthy:.

Jo xx

Guest The Dimmocks

You got lots done in 2 weeks. Congrates on OH getting a job. We live in Morphett Vale not far from you, I got a little girl who is 5 in a few weeks and twin boys who are 3 in a few weeks. If you want to meet up sometime just give me a shout.

Michelle x

congratulations on your two week mark and thats fabulous with your OH getting a job. time goes so quickly and you end up so busy theres no time to think sometimes but once you are in your rental settled and the summer comes in, the place comes alive and you'll not stop bbq'ing and going down to the beach making loads of new friends and you'll be writing your 1 year post before you know it.

keep positive and smiling and you will do well

if you need owt or just a coffee give us a pm

kathx

Guest brianlynnette
Hi Guys,

Well I can't believe it has only been 2 weeks since we arrived it feels more like 4 weeks probably because we've never stopped. Derek had a meeting the day after we arrived regarding work and was offered a job there and then so that was a huge weight off our minds and meant we were able to get on with all the other important jobs like sorting out medicare, driving licences, family assistance, tax file numbers to bigger things like buying a car, securing a rental and getting kids into school. Also since being pregnant I have had quite a few appointments with doctors and midwives which has also included a trip to the Emergency Department!!!!!!!!!!! which I could have done without having only been here a week at the time but thankfully it all turned out ok.

Have to say the weather hasn't been quite what we expected and having spoke to a few aussies they are saying its the coldest winter for years and years, but it can only get better and it hasn't stopped me going to the beach's a few times which I have to say are stunning.

I have been really surprised at how friendly and helpful the locals have been and its so refreshing to walk into a shop even and be asked 'hows it goin?' and told to 'enjoy the rest of your day', certainly something that never happened in the UK.

The rental we have secured is in Seaford Meadows and is a lovely new build. My son started School on Tuesday in Year 1 and when he came out I asked him how it went and he said 'Its the best school in the world' so cute, my daughter will start Reception in October. It will seem strange both of them being away all day but with No 3 due on 6th October its probably quite a good thing. We unfortunately can't move into our rental for a few weeks yet as our container isn't due until 17th September.

I think the hardest thing I have found is the food shopping and prices you immediately think things are so expensive (which a lot of stuff is) cause your looking at dollars and then I'm trying to work out what it would be in pounds which I know I have to try and stop doing, I am slowly getting used to shopping about rather than just getting everything in the one place.

We still haven't managed to meet up with anyone from PIA properly yet but maybe once the better weather comes in there will be more opportunity to get out and meet people.

Derek is settling in at work slowly (this is only his first week) and although its the same type of work as he was doing back home think it will take a while to get used to it. Good thing is he's got a work van so one less expense we thought we'd have.

Haven't seen much wildlife yet a few Kangaroos at a distance, some huge Pelicans flying over the Ocean and lots of big Hairy Caterpillars!! Thankfully no spiders yet!!

Everything seems to have fallen into place for us so far and after such a bad run of luck in the UK we are hopeful that it will continue. So what do we think of South Australia so far - well despite the weather we think its HEAPS GOOD!!!! ;)

Advice to those thinking of coming - just do it, we came with very little money and are managing to make it work it has been a hectic 2 weeks but we are pretty sorted now and have a good feeling all the stress and hard work will have been worth it!!

Look forward to getting to meet some of you in the coming months and thanks for all your help and advice in getting us to where we are now :notworthy:.

Jo xx

hi jo everything sounds brill for you, so happy for you all, were getting to the point know im saying lets just go with the 12k were gonna get off the house sale, as long as we save the flight and container money i wanna go now haha were coming on a spouse visa im an oz citizen havent lived over there for 30 yrs tho!! my o.h is a plasterer do you know what the works like in that trade any info will help then hopefully i can encourage brian to sell up now haha think if we were walking straight into jobs we would sell now, its a big decision good luck xx

Guest jimmel

Hi Jo

Glad to hear you are doing really well.

We are arriving 1st December and headed for the same area. Which school did you decide on in the end?

Also I would be interested to know how your hubby managed to get an interview so quickly?

Sorry to be sooo nosey! but it all helps!!

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Jo and Family.

Its realy good when things fall into place and you can now just get on with life here and enjoy it.

Were in Seaford Rise, come on down for a few beers sometime if ya want.

Guest janmoo

Hi cannons

Looks like you ve been full on! We are keavin uk in less than 6 weeks and it is manic here so what we re saying is ive to prepare to be manic for a lot longer! I havent time to go to the loo at the moment!

Between packing and trying to spend time with friends and rellys. Tho we have managed to secure long term rental in glenelg which is exactly where i wanted to be so thats one thing less to do. I personally cant wait to get on the flight just to get sitting down for 21 hours!

Good luck and hope to meet up with you all after 27 th september!

Guest ffi&dyl

Hi Jo,

Think I talked to you quickly at Moana school Thursday, our kids are in the same class. If you fancy a coffe next week sometime let me know.

Ffion

Gday Jo and Family.

Its realy good when things fall into place and you can now just get on with life here and enjoy it.

Were in Seaford Rise, come on down for a few beers sometime if ya want.

Sounds good will give you a shout when we finally move into our new place.

Derek's desperate to get out fishing so maybe when he's sorted with some gear he could go out with you??

Jo

Hi Ffion,

Yes that was me!! Coffee sounds good just let me know when suits.

See you at School!

Jo x

Hi Jo,

Think I talked to you quickly at Moana school Thursday, our kids are in the same class. If you fancy a coffe next week sometime let me know.

Ffion

Guest kelv&haley

hi jo,

so i see you chose moana school(good choice) what did you end up doing for kindy for sienna???my eldest is in yr 1 too( joshua in rm 5) i'll get him to say hi to ben xx

hi jo,

so i see you chose moana school(good choice) what did you end up doing for kindy for sienna???my eldest is in yr 1 too( joshua in rm 5) i'll get him to say hi to ben xx

Hi Haley,

Ben's in Rm 4 Mrs Stratos's Class he's really enjoying it and Sienna couldn't get into the Kindy but she'll start Reception in October so there's not much point in putting her in anywhere now.

Maybe I'll see you at the school??

Jo x

Guest kelv&haley

joshua was in miss stratos's class briefly before xmas when we moved here,she is lovely and very approachable. my littlest boy is starting moana primary in october too so am pretty sure he and sienna will go into the same class. im sure that in a week or 2 i have to take him to transition mornings on a wednesday leading up to him joining in october,so maybe you will be at those too???maybe see yo there??oh ffions boy starts school then too !!