What did you do with your UK Driving License?

Guest sunnydays

Guest sunnydays

Hi

I was just wondering...if you emegrate on a permanent basis and your UK driving license picture (which needs to be renewed every 10years) is due for renewal did you bother or did you let it go out of date - I have noticed that if you let it go out of date then you need to resit your driving test if you were ever to try and renew at a later date!!:wideeyed: It was bad enough at 17 never mind a good 20 - 30 years later when you have picked up loads of bad habits!! I also wondered if you can renew your picture while resident in another country??

Thanks for any advice and help with this!!:o

Hi there

I think it depends where you are at the moment. If you already live in Oz, probably it is not necessary, because you always could change your Oz licence to UK one if you decide to go back to live there. My UK licence needed to be change in August with a new photo. With only £ 10, I got a new one, and I think it is handy because it could be used as an ID in other country as well like I used in Singapore and Indonesia before arriving in Oz.

Regards

But you can have a UK and Aus passport, having both is handy, saves time at airports and you never know when you may need another one.

We are talking about holding multiple Driving Licenses which has nothing to do with being a citizen or passport holding, maybe start a thread about passport burning? Although burning plastic is not environmentally friendly.......

Guest guest3462

My husband got his SA driving licence this week and they just gave him his UK one back, fully intact and free to use it if he needs to in the UK. I am still on my UK licence and really need to think about changing it. I lost my UK one when we moved to Oz, and they would only send a replacement to an address which is on the licence in the UK. Thankfully we still had mail redirection!!!

Guest sunnydays

Thanks for all the replies! I had thought about the address as if in Oz when renewing the picture they would only return it to a UK address. I am still in the UK just now so will call them today and ask the question, will post later with what they say!

Cheers;)

Guest WhatNow?
legally you have to give up your UK license when getting your SA one, some centres wont take your old one off you (or punch a hole in it like they did mine), but the law is you have to give it up.

This is absolutely not true! I had heard this used to be done and my sister lost her like this several years ago, so when I had mine converted, I asked at the central Service SA on North Terrace and was told that they are not allowed to take your UK licence off you!

Guest Guest5035
But you can have a UK and Aus passport, having both is handy, saves time at airports QUOTE]

when we landed at heathrow last month took all of 10 minutes to go through with our australian passport and we were at the back

stevo

This is absolutely not true! I had heard this used to be done and my sister lost her like this several years ago, so when I had mine converted, I asked at the central Service SA on North Terrace and was told that they are not allowed to take your UK licence off you!

As I said, some service centre staff don't know the rules.

Your post is the one that is so not true.

The fact is, it is illegal to hold 2 driving licenses. Say you are disqualified in Aus for drink driving and you still have your UK one, you would just use that.....think about it.

Thanks

One bit says it all

Moving to another country

If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. You don't need to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad.

The word exchange is the important one.