Speeding fines to almost double

Guest RichandHelen

Guest Scrappin' Julie

I agree - most newer cars have cruise control so no excuse for going over the limit! (I have got a ticket on Christmas Eve last year so I know it's easy done if you don't pay attention) If the fines were as steep in the UK then they wouldn't have half the problems on the roads :policeman:

I am venturing over to UK for Christmas, and to be honest the thought of using the M25 and M1 again scares the poop out of me! :huh:

Not sure they are doubling...

Huge increases in traffic fines in SA State Budget 2010 | Adelaide Now

but definitely going up alot!

Have been pinged myself once....hubby twice and daughter once....in 5 years!

I dont know what the answer is....yes of course not to speed....but i dont have the luxury of cruise control in my car, so i am finding myself always watching the speedo, rather than the road....not good either way really...

Guest Guest5035

I am venturing over to UK for Christmas' date=' and to be honest the thought of using the M25 and M1 again scares the poop out of me! :huh:[/quote']

just got back, i'd forgotten how good the motorways are over there, so so easy, but watch out for those cameras, luckily i never got a ticket in 3 weeks there.

stevo

Guest Scrappin' Julie
Agree with this to a certain extent. It's so easy to go a few kms over the limit and when you can get fined for going just 5kmph over the limit, it's just not very fair.

But it is fair...you have exceeded the limit! I spoke at length to the police on the stand at the Adelaide Show and he put it all into perspective:

Speeding fines are optional - if you speed then you pay to speed; if you stick to the limits then you don't!

Back in the UK everyone knows that there is at least a 10% leaway on the limit - so on the M25 (for instance) I always knew I could drive at 80mph and not get nicked...so in fact the limit isn't 70mph on motorways but 80!! (I often cruised past police cars above the limit :shocked: ).

Again, talking to the copper I asked him what the gap was for going over the limit. 10%? You will deffo get a ticket. 5% over? "I can't confirm that you won't get a ticket going over 5% above the limit."

So I would say as soon as you see the needle going over the limit have a quick look in your wallet and workout if you can afford $220 for the priviledge! :nah:

Guest Nomoreengland
so they should, its simple, don't speed don't get fined.

stevo

The roads in Adelaide are designed for drivers over the age of 103 who want to go at 30 MPH everywhere. Ive only been here for just over 1 month and already landed a speed ticket - i was going 66 km's ph on a dual carridgeway which is hardly reckless driving.

The roads in Adelaide are designed for drivers over the age of 103 who want to go at 30 MPH everywhere. Ive only been here for just over 1 month and already landed a speed ticket - i was going 66 km's ph on a dual carridgeway which is hardly reckless driving.

love it when they drive two abreast in front... .both doing 40km in a 60 zone..you cant overtake ..your just stuck....indicators not the elderly's best friend either

Guest needtogonow
love it when they drive two abreast in front... .both doing 40km in a 60 zone..you cant overtake ..your just stuck....indicators not the elderly's best friend either

At least they are far richer than we are as they never get a ticket!

But you were breaking the law so got a fine which you could have avoided by doing the speed limit!! I do agree however that some of the speed limits are just too slow. there was some bloke on TV a few months ago that actually had researched the speed limits and said that his findings were that because the speed limits are slow people spend more time looking at their speedo than the road which in itself is a danger! I gues we just have to abide by the rules and be careful.

Personally I feel the idiots who dodge the red lights are the worst scumbags of all. Last week at 6 o'clock in the morning hubby saw 4 cars and 2 lorries turn right from Woodcroft direction at Hardy's winery whilst the lights were on red!!!! They just ignored the lights and went through, dodging the oncoming traffic!!!!! Later that day there was a really nasty accident there!!!

I agree that if you DELIBERATLEY speed you should be fined. I have had three fines since I arrived and I’m not proud of it. The first two I put down to not being used to having to drive like miss daisy when I first arrived and the third I have no excuse at all. I was a prat.

My gripe is the fact that my wife has also received a speeding ticket. It was for driving 60 in a 40 passed AAMI stadium while there was a game on. What I’m getting at is that it was a genuine mistake by my wife because the speed limit at all other times is 60. Because the police know that the speed limit has been changed they take the opertunity and drive up and down this road knowing that people will accidentally speed and they can catch them out. Easy money!

I'm not advocating speeding by any means, but by putting the fines up I think the authorities are blatantly admitting it's about revenue raising rather than safety. Interesting that in the UK now apparently there is such a backlash of public opinion against speed cameras that some authorities are getting rid of them altogether. And of course the fact that in Britain speed cameras are painted bright yellow so they act as a deterrent, yet here they are almost hidden in many cases. Wonder how long before Australia catches up with that trend?

I'm not advocating speeding by any means, but by putting the fines up I think the authorities are blatantly admitting it's about revenue raising rather than safety. Interesting that in the UK now apparently there is such a backlash of public opinion against speed cameras that some authorities are getting rid of them altogether. And of course the fact that in Britain speed cameras are painted bright yellow so they act as a deterrent, yet here they are almost hidden in many cases. Wonder how long before Australia catches up with that trend?

Hi

Swindon UK was the first town in UK to remove ALL speeding cameras from its roads, after 12 months the first findings are that traffic accidents have significantly reduced, if this is due to the removal who knows time will tell, interesting one to keep an eye on ;)

if the reason for peed cameras is safety wouldn't it make more sense to ban speeders for say 6 months to get the speeders off the road but then they would loose the revenue they get from speeding fines after all something has got to pay for the blow out costs of the adelaide oval redevelopment and the new royal adelaide hospital

Hi

Swindon UK was the first town in UK to remove ALL speeding cameras from its roads, after 12 months the first findings are that traffic accidents have significantly reduced, if this is due to the removal who knows time will tell, interesting one to keep an eye on ;)

This is interesting but I think speed cameras are a good thing, I am not saying I am a model citizen we all speed at some point but I try not to. The reason (in my opinion) there are so many accidents to do with speed cameras is because of the idiots that speed down the road and then slam on their brakes when they get to the speed camera so they are going past at the right speed! I was nearly wiped out in the UK by a driver that did this and swerved across the road as he lost control as he slammed on his brakes.

jaywalking = walking diagonally across the road, everyone does this! the law is not foolproof...

To be pedantic ......... The term jaywalking actually covers a multitude of pedestrian infractions, mostly involving a failure to cross city streets at designated intersections or crosswalks. Jaywalking can be considered a misdemeanor if a police officer considers the pedestrian's actions to be a deliberate violation of an existing ordinance. :P:biglaugh::biglaugh:

But I take your point. Unfortunately some rules are inforced by the letter in SA others are not. Just like in the UK. In the UK it is also against the law to park drivers side to the kerb but its not enforced, so when Brits come here and do the same they whinge about getting a fine for doing so. Speeding is enforced here to the letter. None of the 10% plus 2 that you get in Pomsville. So speed by all means but you know the risks should you get caught. I can't afford to pay a fine so I keep my speed down. Its a no brainer for me. ;)