Certificates of compliance for electrical and..?

suzer

all electrical work requires a coc if you dont get one and you come to sell the house or anything goes wrong you and the person that did it are liable for prosecution and your house insurance will be void if they find out

all electrical work requires a coc if you dont get one and you come to sell the house or anything goes wrong you and the person that did it are liable for prosecution and your house insurance will be void if they find out

does that include if you get your plugs on your applicances changed over from UK to AUS plugs? Does it void your insurance if said plug happened to cause a fire etc? my dad can change a plug easily , but if it needs to be above board I will then get a certificated sparky..

hope you get well soon!

Danni

Guest Guest5035

but if something did go wrong, just play dumb and you know nothing about work being done.

stevo

but if something did go wrong, just play dumb and you know nothing about work being done.

stevo

but they do say ignorance is no defence so not sue how you would go with that one and they would ask who did the work too

it has always been in effect since the licences were in

Interesting - thanks heaps for that info. From what I read, it looks like both installer and home owner must keep these certificates for 5 years from the date the work was done. My hubs is an Aussie no worries mate type and I prefer to stick to the rules on these types of things, just in case...so wondering what the rules actually were;)

stevo

Since I used to work in insurance, and we've lived in our home (well at least the other half has) 15 yrs, I reckon that wouldn't be a safe bet in the case anything did go wrong. Then again I am a yank used to anyone and everyone watching their backs all the time...

it has always been in effect since the licences were in

Just found out this is incorrect. Looks like it's based on an act (there were tv ads many years ago advising of this coming into law) - perhaps one from 1995 or 96...still checking....

edited to add: found it...Electricity Act of 1996:

http://technicalregulator.sa.gov.au/office_of_the_technical_regulator/electricity/working_safely_with_electricity/electrical_certificate_of_compliance

It's interesting how the laws can be so different. In the US, I did my own electrical work sometimes.