Nearly 1 year in....

Guest Jen & Did

Guest Jen & Did

What a wirlind of year it has been for us. Last September I resigned from my job, packed a house in two weeks, booked flights, car hire, and a place to stay till we got a rental. We had to get here before November so I could take up my new job at the RAH. We arrived on the 30th September and stayed in Glenelg which is a beautiful place. We knew we wanted to live around the Mclaren Vale/ Aldinga area and drove to see what rentals where available. We went into one of the real estate agents to see what was available and ended up viewing at least 6 rentals that same day and they weren't for us. They informed us that it was a public holiday that weekend and all the new rentals will go on the internet on a friday evening. That weekend was quite a shock as 99% of the shops were shut and it was like going back in time to the UK around 15 or more years ago. We did go to Basham Beach and watched the whales that weekend and that was fantastic. On the way back we went to view a couple of the rentals at Aldinga from the outside that we saw on the internet. One of the houses the landlord was there doing finishing touches to the property as it was brand new and allowed us to view the property. The next day we applied for the two rentals and got both. Our next mission was then to do our tax file numbers, bank account, schools for our two children, dongle for internet and phone, register at the RAH and a car. We got a car from a fellow member on PIA and our thanks go out to them as its been a great car.

We moved into our rental and got the kids into school for the last term. Our container wasn't arriving till end of November so we bought minimal stuff with what money was left. Our next hurdle was the fact my OH had to go back to the UK for work two days before I started at the RAH. In fact the OH has been back to the UK so far 4 times and is going again in a couple of weeks. The RAH have been great in allowing me to do only earlies whilst he was away and my Kids are now 15 and 12 who can look after themselves but intially it was hard as we were only just learning how to get around and we hadn't met many people yet. That changed when in all places I met a fellow scouser and a member on PIA in Subway. A big thank you goes out to you for introducing me to your friends who have now become my friends. These friends thought I had an imaginary OH as they didn't meet him till Feb of this year. I also met another PIA who worked at the RAH and we had pm'd each other in the UK and it turned out we were working on the same ward.

So what have we liked living here that is different to the UK and the first thing I would say is the weather. Its true what they said 300 days of sunshine. Winter is bright and this was the wettest in many years but for us it was nothing compared to the UK. It was very strange and funny when we first arrived and this winter to see many ozzies in hats, gloves, coats and scarves when we had short sleeved t-shirts and fleece jackets. We live only ten minutes walk from the beach and unless its over 30 degrees you will only see Poms on the beach or fisherman. We had our christmas dinner outside. We went to see our football team we support play in Melbourne. Bought tickets for the Ashes and the GP in Melbourne. I am less stressed with work here as once you leave you don't worry. The kids are alot more independent. We can go for a drive around the vineyards and see wild kangaroos and in the scrub where we live. Getting our container and sleeping in a bed rather than an air mattress for eight weeks. For my birthday I got to swim with dolphins. OH get to play golf in his shorts. Lunching with the Ladies. Helping other PIA's who move here.

So what has been the downside to living here the fact the OH going back to the Uk and not being able to settle properly. Missing family and friends. Driving is a big risk as they seem more crazy here. You also have to watch for the speed cameras but if you get the Advertiser it will tell you where some of them will be each day. The houses are cold in wnter as there is no central heating. Renting is a risk as we have just has the hassle of the landlord selling the property but advertised it as an investment property and it was sold after one open inspection. Quaterly inspections by the agents are a hassle as well but its understandable after seeing some properties when we were looking for a rental. Shopping is very limited both in food and clothes and thank god for internet shopping delivering to Aus.

So my advice moving here is to bring as much money as you can but don't worry if its not alot as it will just take a little longer to get the things you want. English duvets is a deffinate must. Get a rental that has ducted heating not like us with reverse cycle heating. When you find a friend and a party is on or any meet ups go to them as you do need to have friends here to help you. Time goes quick and family will be out here before you know it.

Life is a challenge and moving to the other side of the world just makes it a little harder.

Thank you for reading this if you made it this far.

Jen :D

What a wirlind of year it has been for us. Last September I resigned from my job, packed a house in two weeks, booked flights, car hire, and a place to stay till we got a rental. We had to get here before November so I could take up my new job at the RAH. We arrived on the 30th September and stayed in Glenelg which is a beautiful place. We knew we wanted to live around the Mclaren Vale/ Aldinga area and drove to see what rentals where available. We went into one of the real estate agents to see what was available and ended up viewing at least 6 rentals that same day and they weren't for us. They informed us that it was a public holiday that weekend and all the new rentals will go on the internet on a friday evening. That weekend was quite a shock as 99% of the shops were shut and it was like going back in time to the UK around 15 or more years ago. We did go to Basham Beach and watched the whales that weekend and that was fantastic. On the way back we went to view a couple of the rentals at Aldinga from the outside that we saw on the internet. One of the houses the landlord was there doing finishing touches to the property as it was brand new and allowed us to view the property. The next day we applied for the two rentals and got both. Our next mission was then to do our tax file numbers, bank account, schools for our two children, dongle for internet and phone, register at the RAH and a car. We got a car from a fellow member on PIA and our thanks go out to them as its been a great car.

We moved into our rental and got the kids into school for the last term. Our container wasn't arriving till end of November so we bought minimal stuff with what money was left. Our next hurdle was the fact my OH had to go back to the UK for work two days before I started at the RAH. In fact the OH has been back to the UK so far 4 times and is going again in a couple of weeks. The RAH have been great in allowing me to do only earlies whilst he was away and my Kids are now 15 and 12 who can look after themselves but intially it was hard as we were only just learning how to get around and we hadn't met many people yet. That changed when in all places I met a fellow scouser and a member on PIA in Subway. A big thank you goes out to you for introducing me to your friends who have now become my friends. These friends thought I had an imaginary OH as they didn't meet him till Feb of this year. I also met another PIA who worked at the RAH and we had pm'd each other in the UK and it turned out we were working on the same ward.

So what have we liked living here that is different to the UK and the first thing I would say is the weather. Its true what they said 300 days of sunshine. Winter is bright and this was the wettest in many years but for us it was nothing compared to the UK. It was very strange and funny when we first arrived and this winter to see many ozzies in hats, gloves, coats and scarves when we had short sleeved t-shirts and fleece jackets. We live only ten minutes walk from the beach and unless its over 30 degrees you will only see Poms on the beach or fisherman. We had our christmas dinner outside. We went to see our football team we support play in Melbourne. Bought tickets for the Ashes and the GP in Melbourne. I am less stressed with work here as once you leave you don't worry. The kids are alot more independent. We can go for a drive around the vineyards and see wild kangaroos and in the scrub where we live. Getting our container and sleeping in a bed rather than an air mattress for eight weeks. For my birthday I got to swim with dolphins. OH get to play golf in his shorts. Lunching with the Ladies. Helping other PIA's who move here.

So what has been the downside to living here the fact the OH going back to the Uk and not being able to settle properly. Missing family and friends. Driving is a big risk as they seem more crazy here. You also have to watch for the speed cameras but if you get the Advertiser it will tell you where some of them will be each day. The houses are cold in wnter as there is no central heating. Renting is a risk as we have just has the hassle of the landlord selling the property but advertised it as an investment property and it was sold after one open inspection. Quaterly inspections by the agents are a hassle as well but its understandable after seeing some properties when we were looking for a rental. Shopping is very limited both in food and clothes and thank god for internet shopping delivering to Aus.

So my advice moving here is to bring as much money as you can but don't worry if its not alot as it will just take a little longer to get the things you want. English duvets is a deffinate must. Get a rental that has ducted heating not like us with reverse cycle heating. When you find a friend and a party is on or any meet ups go to them as you do need to have friends here to help you. Time goes quick and family will be out here before you know it.

Life is a challenge and moving to the other side of the world just makes it a little harder.

Thank you for reading this if you made it this far.

Jen :D

what part of Liverpool did you come from?

Parko