What rules here have taken you by surprise?

suzer

Always learning new things that surprise me....such as that I can't turn left on red or that one needs a certificate of compliance for all electrical work done....what things have you learned, even years after getting here, that were different than where you came from and you think and worth knowing;) ?

Hi Suzer,

I bought a digital camera which broke after only 2 weeks. When I took it back to Harvey Norman, the assistant said it would have to be sent away for repair and would take uo to six weeks!! I had a bit of a paddy in the shop as we are going on holiday next week and I wanted the camera for that.

I expected a straight swap but as I was clearly angry and upset, they did offer me a loan digital camera which I accepted. But really, wihat an unfair system - you pay for something, it breaks through no fault of your own and they expect you to go without it for six weeks!

So at least I know what to expect now but I think it is so wrong...

Hi Suzer,

I bought a digital camera which broke after only 2 weeks. When I took it back to Harvey Norman, the assistant said it would have to be sent away for repair and would take uo to six weeks!! I had a bit of a paddy in the shop as we are going on holiday next week and I wanted the camera for that.

I expected a straight swap but as I was clearly angry and upset, they did offer me a loan digital camera which I accepted. But really, wihat an unfair system - you pay for something, it breaks through no fault of your own and they expect you to go without it for six weeks!

Yeah I buy stuff like that on my US card and then if they pull that stuff, I just pull the charge - American banks are good like that;)

Returning stuff here can be crazy:chatterbox:

Hi Suzer,

I think if you look at the OCBA website that Harveys were wrong - they have to replace with a new one or give a full refund.

After 20 years here I still want to be allowed to drive my car with my arm hanging down outside the window like they do in Europe.

I love the regulations about noise at weekends - the no lawnmowers etc before 9am etc ............... BRILLIANT!

I love the regulations about noise at weekends - the no lawnmowers etc before 9am etc

Really? I didnt know that...do you reckon that also applies to people who decide to use their garden vacuum to clean up their drives? OUr neighbour has a habit of doing that around 8.30 in the morning!

Found this info:

Environment Protection (Industrial Noise) Policy 1994

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) administers noise control in South Australia and plays an important role in monitoring and regulating noise pollution from domestic, industrial and other activities. Please access the EPA Noise website.

The EPA uses specific Environment Protection Policies to regulate domestic noise, industrial noise and noise from machinery.

This is explained in detail and noise levels are summarised in tables presented in the EPA Information sheet Environmental Noise mime_pdf.gif (116 kb)

Air conditioner noise

Noise from air conditioners can be a public nuisance. Restrictions on noisy air conditioner use and advice for those who own or plan to purchase an air conditioner are summarised in the EPA Information sheet Environmental Noise mime_pdf.gif (116 kb)

Noise not regulated by the EPA

'People noise'

This includes noise from parties, loud radios or stereos and . Contact your local police station or telephone SA Police on 131 444.

Animal noise

For noise from pets such as dogs, parrots and roosters, contact your local council.

Guest motlyman

After working in the pool business for 2.5 yrs they suddenly announced that you now need a license to operate.

Fine i thought, sort the cowboys out. Then i find this "privilege" costs me about $400 or so.

Then it gets worse................renewable annually:realmad:

Such is life

Colin

I had a similar thing with a mobile phone I chose on my contract. Did not like it and wanted to change it the next day but could not and that's it now for 2yrs! bummer

In the UK if you changed your mind you could send it back etc no problems! oh well

The other rule is parking on the same side of the road (makes sense) but had no idea that it was enforced here so strongly. Apparently it is illegal in the UK but not enforced?!?

I had a similar thing with a mobile phone I chose on my contract. Did not like it and wanted to change it the next day but could not and that's it now for 2yrs! bummer

In the UK if you changed your mind you could send it back etc no problems! oh well

The other rule is parking on the same side of the road (makes sense) but had no idea that it was enforced here so strongly. Apparently it is illegal in the UK but not enforced?!?

Both those things are very American:(

Found this info:

Environment Protection (Industrial Noise) Policy 1994

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) administers noise control in South Australia and plays an important role in monitoring and regulating noise pollution from domestic, industrial and other activities. Please access the EPA Noise website.

The EPA uses specific Environment Protection Policies to regulate domestic noise, industrial noise and noise from machinery.

This is explained in detail and noise levels are summarised in tables presented in the EPA Information sheet Environmental Noise mime_pdf.gif (116 kb)

Air conditioner noise

Noise from air conditioners can be a public nuisance. Restrictions on noisy air conditioner use and advice for those who own or plan to purchase an air conditioner are summarised in the EPA Information sheet Environmental Noise mime_pdf.gif (116 kb)

Noise not regulated by the EPA

'People noise'

This includes noise from parties, loud radios or stereos and . Contact your local police station or telephone SA Police on 131 444.

Animal noise

For noise from pets such as dogs, parrots and roosters, contact your local council.

Wow does that mean someone will come out and shoot that bloody bird that wakes me up at 5 every morning?!:policeman::D

Wow does that mean someone will come out and shoot that bloody bird that wakes me up at 5 every morning?!:policeman::D

Ah well don't you know I also found this:

Bird Gard: Humane Bird Scarers, Pest Control & Bird Control

I'm going to call for a quote and see if it will also keep the neighbourhood cats outta my yard.

I'm a little bored this weekend;)

Ah well don't you know I also found this:

Bird Gard: Humane Bird Scarers, Pest Control & Bird Control

I'm going to call for a quote and see if it will also keep the neighbourhood cats outta my yard.

I'm a little bored this weekend;)

Humane bird scarers aren't they also known as children??:unsure:

it is illegal to ride a bycycle while having a dog on a lead!!!! you can get fined for it!!!

Steven stop quoting the law or get your own user name people will think its me;)