Flights booked ... feeling very emotional

Hazel M

What a rollercoaster the last couple of days has been. I need to post this to get it off my chest...

Today has by far been the worst in terms of things hitting home with what we are doing. The flights had been held for us since Friday (so we could still shop around a bit for the best deal!!) but this morning I was crying so much before booking ...:(

I'm really going to miss my family who have been so incredibly supportive ... and I'm feeling bad for them that we are causing them to be upset too. Feels very selfish after everything they've all done for us and knowing that we are changing things in a huge way for them as well as ourselves.

Every time I've thought about it before I've just been able to put how I'll feel to one side and just get along with doing the other stuff coz at the end of the day I always knew how hard it is going to be. But its like today the floodgates opened because booking the flights is so final. It feels like it's the last part of the organising (altho I know its not and there's loads more to do!)

I know we are doing the right thing for our little family but... I just wish I could keep our whole extended family together too. Its such a big step and its like I can actually feel the enormity of it all now.... no mom & dad and sister ( and new little nephew) and not knowing anyone properly in Aus either yet... a very emotional day all in all. Such extremes of feelings.

On the happy note we are arriving in Adelaide on 2nd January at approx 10am ... :D

We flying Cathay Pacific leaving London on New Years Eve at 8.50pm - so it'll be happy new year to us somewhere in the sky!! Hopefully with 3 sleeping children (I can wish!!) at least for the 1st part of the flight... after the novelty of being in the plane has worn off!

I can hardly believe that this is us posting that we've got an arrival date after so long reading everyone else's!!

A huge thank you again to all who've helped us so far from PIA.. and we really looking fwd to meeting you soon.... and maybe borrowing a few bits n bob till our container perks its way through some time towards Feb ;) ;)

Hazel.

Hi Hazel,

just wanted to wish you all the best for your new future. It is a very emotional time and can be overwhelming. There will be wonderful times ahead for you. I love sitting on the beach with the sun on my face and watching my 4 girls play. They have settled so very well in the last 7 months. We felt it was a giant step too but one we had to take. You enjoy these next months with your whole family and I hope they can visit so that you'll have fantastic times ahead too!

All my love Anna xx

No worries Hazel. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other words of encouragement for you to wake up to tomorrow. Just take care of yourself. PIA is a great site and I use it regularly for information - its always come up trumps for me! All the best once again. Anna xxx

Hiya Hazel

I know exactly where you are coming from.

We have choosen our flights. For the last 7 days every day we have checked to make sure they are still available.......but as to yet not actually booked them!

It is the final hurdle so to speak.

Was gonna do it again tonight, but hey its late and looks like it aint gonna happen again today. lol

Maybe tomorrow..... Gulp......Scary stuff.

I think we have gone throught this whole process at exactly the same timescales. We applied together and will be arriving together(ish).

Good luck. it will all be worth it ( I hope). lol

Donna

Guest The Dimmocks

I found it a strange feeling when we booked our flights, it like all the sorting of visa is done there not much left to do apart from cancel things in UK. I remember feeling happy and excited but also dreading telling family we had booked flights. What a way to see new year in though.

Enjoy your time in UK as it will fly by.

Michelle xx

Hi Hazel, we arrive just before Christmas *yikes*. I'm having a complete stress on about having the removals guys here in 5 weeks time, that's just making it all so real. All the best with the trip, 'clink clink' of the glasses for New Years Eve!

good luck with your planning and enjoy your last few months in the UK. We have been here 6 weeks and have been on the same rollercoaster, still are!! We are moving into our unfurnished rental this weekend and have had great offers to borrow stuff so will be more than willing to repay the favour to others arriving, just shout if you need anything

Karen

Guest m.and.m

Hi Hazel,

We arrived 4 weeks ago all very excited the emotions at actually leaving the UK and knowing their is no return flight was weird to say the least, the first week was very full on applying for driving licenses tax file numbers, jobs, houses ect but we got their.

then a week into it I became soooo homesick i cried every day was miserable inside but trying hard not to show it to the family, i reached crisis point about 2 weeks in I went for a walk alone ended up in a flight center asked about flights to UK, the assistant asked me how long I had been i Australia when i told her 2 weeks and id had enough she refused to sell me a ticket infact she talked to me and assured me i would feel better very soon, i then went back and told my husband what i had done he went white with shock, i really felt terrible as i know OH and kids really want to stay, but i was prepared to go back alone, anyway we talked and talked , and another 2 weeks on i feel absolutely fine and dandy really looking forward to the future and the summer.

I have only written this to you so that you will be prepared for the downs as well as the ups the homesickness has been a big problem for me im the worst of our family which has really taken me by supprise, but exremely positive now we are moving into our beautiful rented home in 2 weeks time its right by Moana beach stunning, and then our furniture should arrive which is exciting, our son arrives at the begining of Nov and the inlaws have booked tickets to visit in feb, and the weather is looking up fantastic, so all is great now just need to ride the rollercoaster and talk when you need to.

hope you enjoy your time left in the UK with family and friends i know i did and skype is a must for me has kept me sane i think lol

Guest gabriel

ooh Hazel i really feel for you and had a lump in my throat reading your post - I'm sure I am going to be the same ... I have a sister whom i'm very close to & see each other every other day.

Our kids have grown together always at my house or her house .....My mum is not in great health and the guilt I feel having to put all her problems on my sis is enormous and I hope she doesnt resnt me...We have friends in Adelaide & they still say it is the best thing you could ever do for your kids with the lifestyle & the opportunites...My friend came back in June for a holiday I picked her up from the airport and even after a couple of hours in the UK she said it made her feel that Adelaide was even more her home than ever and that she would never come back to UK.

My dad is from Scotland & he left his mum & brothers when he was 17 to come to England I know its not the same but it was such a big thing to do in those days & he was very close to his mum & he never regrets one day of fleeing the family nest! You have to look forward & not look back!

Good luck with everything ...I'm really envious!! We are just about to lodge our visa this weekend so know we have a wait yet!!

Trudy x

Hi Hazel,

We arrived 4 weeks ago all very excited the emotions at actually leaving the UK and knowing their is no return flight was weird to say the least, the first week was very full on applying for driving licenses tax file numbers, jobs, houses ect but we got their.

then a week into it I became soooo homesick i cried every day was miserable inside but trying hard not to show it to the family, i reached crisis point about 2 weeks in I went for a walk alone ended up in a flight center asked about flights to UK, the assistant asked me how long I had been i Australia when i told her 2 weeks and id had enough she refused to sell me a ticket infact she talked to me and assured me i would feel better very soon, i then went back and told my husband what i had done he went white with shock, i really felt terrible as i know OH and kids really want to stay, but i was prepared to go back alone, anyway we talked and talked , and another 2 weeks on i feel absolutely fine and dandy really looking forward to the future and the summer.

I have only written this to you so that you will be prepared for the downs as well as the ups the homesickness has been a big problem for me im the worst of our family which has really taken me by supprise, but exremely positive now we are moving into our beautiful rented home in 2 weeks time its right by Moana beach stunning, and then our furniture should arrive which is exciting, our son arrives at the begining of Nov and the inlaws have booked tickets to visit in feb, and the weather is looking up fantastic, so all is great now just need to ride the rollercoaster and talk when you need to.

hope you enjoy your time left in the UK with family and friends i know i did and skype is a must for me has kept me sane i think lol

We have been here 14 weeks and i've felt exactly like you my girls 6 an 9 setteled straight away hubby setteled well but i really found it hard i too am feeling better now but wanted you to know your not alone because i packed a case a couple of weeks ago and was seriously considering goin home! its nice too know i'm not crazy and thanks for being so honest Clare x

Yes its scary when they are booked but what a great start to the new year. I'm sure your children will be fine they are so much tougher than we give them credit for mine love it here they only 6 an 9 and wouldnt go back now even if i begged them lol!

Enjoy your time with your family coz its like gold, i'm not gona lie i miss my family and friends so much but can see that we are staring to have a better life here lots more time together

and outside a lot more.

Hope your feeling ok and good luck with the rest of it, enjoy your time left it flies!

clare x

Thanks everyone - it is good to know that we all feel like that sometimes. And Im sure its right that as time passes we'll see its the right thing for our children and the opportunities & lifestyle for them is going to be sooo different to in the UK.

The time is flying by already - being so busy de-cluttering and getting ready for the container to go in a few weeks. Its going to be a blur until November when our stuff leaves these shores!! Then a little more leisurely (ha!) I can get on with the other few hundred things on my to-do list!!

Whereabouts are you living now Clare & m and m? We thinking possibly around Mclaren Vale but not going to know for sure til we've driven all around when we arrive. If nearby would be good to maybe meet up when we arrive? We can conquer the homesickness together lol!!!

Trudy - even though you're just lodging the visa you never know it mightnt be too long away - we lodged ours last Dec and was granted in about May I think! Its just been trying to sell the house that taken time! And co-incidence with the Gracies... I haven't met another one!!

Hazel x

Hi Hazel, we arrive just before Christmas *yikes*. I'm having a complete stress on about having the removals guys here in 5 weeks time, that's just making it all so real. All the best with the trip, 'clink clink' of the glasses for New Years Eve!

5 weeks - We got ours going around then too, scary isnt it... will seem very odd living in an empty house for a couple of months (I only just realised we'll have no fridge as thats going too. Good job its cold outside now lol!!)

Enjoy your 1st Christmas in the sun :D

Hi All

Just wanted to say 3 years on and its so much easier, you will go through many ups and downs and may even have a set back or 2, as I'm very sure many will agree.

BUT it gets easier with time and as Maria said SKYPE is a god send, get the kids back into school as quickly as possible and ensure their routine is set early as this really helps them settle.

Good luck to you all and remember there are many who have done this before so if you need any help, advice or just a chat over coffee just howl out

Kim

Guest WhatNow?

Yes, I think almost everyone underestimates the strength of the homesickness that can strike. It's hard to believe that you can feel so down, but don't despair, it will get better and it probably won't be the last time you will have a 'blip'.

I was talking to an old Italian lady the other day and when she arrived (many years ago) she could speak no English, had no money and three kids under 5, got off the boat at Port Adelaide and WALKED with her 3 kids all along Port Road into the city. All they had to eat were oranges that they were given by the people who used to have stalls along Port Road to serve the new arrivals. Maybe we should all count our blessings!

Hi...I can sympathise with how you feel. We received our visas last week and are aiming to get to Adelaide by early Jan 2011. My wife and I are on the emotional see-saw: one minute we are completely focused on Adelaide and the future for our three children, the next we are thinking of ourselves as mad for leaving our village lifestyle and settled existence. The biggest issue for me is leaving my elderly parents (76 and 75) both of whom are fit now but have had serious health scares in recent years. They simply worship my 3 kids (11, 9 and 3) and I sometimes feel like that I am hurting them with my pursuit of a new challenge in Australia. Overall, we are committed to it and excited about the future but I totally empathise with you on the family issues. Our parents and friends have all said "go for it" yet their support won't ever remove those emotions that we all feel.