What's it really like?

Guest SUPERSTARDJ01

Gosh, Big question....

It's different is what it is.

People stop and say hello, good morning, good evening..

Blue blue skies, starry nights.

Great food, if bought in the right places, food shopping is much cheaper.

Some things you have to pay for like, schooling, doctors, teeth, if you have children, then these things are free in the UK.

You can head for the beach and for us it takes no more then a 15 min drive.

The kids have learnt how to swim here, and they are loving the outdoors. I am cycling again.

It's a great place to live if you can find work.

You have to weigh up if this life is for you, but this you will only know once you get here.

For us it works out much more expensive living here then in the UK, there are many things I miss from the UK, but would I go back if it was my choice, NO WAY.

Hope this helps

Prema

Guest laurenburton92

Adelaide is cold in winter! Mostly populated by old people as I haven't seen many youngsters, and very very dated! Its very much the SA way or no way at all! A lot of things r backwards!

But hey, when u go to the supermarket the cashiers r friendly!

But hey, when u go to the supermarket the cashiers r friendly!

Don't forget they also ask if you have shopping bags, and ask with a smile can I pack for you. They pack in the correct ways, delicates on top!!

I remember shopping in tesco I had the 2 kids with me and when I asked for help I got a dirty look!!!

Adelaide is cold in winter! Not as cold as England is though! Mostly populated by old people as I haven't seen many youngsters, and very very dated! Just back from a comedy night in the City - plenty of young people out and about round the live music venues, from what I could see - I felt positively old... Perhaps you're not looking in the right places? Its very much the SA way or no way at all! A lot of things r backwards! Again depends what you're comparing to, but in my opinion the things that are mostly "backwards" are things like good old-fashioned manners, less focus on material goods, more time for kids to stay kids, role models who are sportsmen and women rather than It Girls and Reality TV stars with no talent... I could go on, but I reckon some things in this world have moved forwards when they were better as they were!! But hey, when u go to the supermarket the cashiers r friendly! ....and teenagers are polite, and SA leads the world in recycling programms (10c recylables, banning plastic bags etc....

My responses above are in red!

Guest Guest75
Yes but NOTHING compared to cardiff! And I'm on about a day to day basis, not clubbing! :)

The truth is Lauren....................

"Tyke whispers this quietly...................."

People live a lot longer here because it is such a healthy place, hence you will see more "older" people" ;););)

Originally Posted by laurenburton92 viewpost.gif

Adelaide is cold in winter! Not as cold as England is though! Mostly populated by old people as I haven't seen many youngsters, and very very dated! Just back from a comedy night in the City - plenty of young people out and about round the live music venues, from what I could see - I felt positively old... Perhaps you're not looking in the right places? Its very much the SA way or no way at all! A lot of things r backwards! Again depends what you're comparing to, but in my opinion the things that are mostly "backwards" are things like good old-fashioned manners, less focus on material goods, more time for kids to stay kids, role models who are sportsmen and women rather than It Girls and Reality TV stars with no talent... I could go on, but I reckon some things in this world have moved forwards when they were better as they were!! But hey, when u go to the supermarket the cashiers r friendly! ....and teenagers are polite, and SA leads the world in recycling programms (10c recylables, banning plastic bags etc....

I couldn't agree more! (with the red bits) Really notice how polite and friendly everyone is. Driving is a bit erratic at times but people seem to be amazingly patient when waiting (for ages) for TL to change big junctions. Haven't seen any road rage or really selfish driving, unlike where I live (just inside the M25) where it happens several times a day! PS I always use my collection of Coles bags in every colour imaginable in UK shops and supermarkets - haven't used a plastic bag for years!

I must admit though that the bit about the old people really surprises me - this is a city with three universities, so there must be loads of young people! I think perhaps that because most students probably still live in the family home, there's not quite the concentration in one area that there would be in a UK town with halls of residence etc, but there are definitely places around the City where young people go - and a big live music scene if you know where to look. Perhaps if you haven't grown up here it takes a while to get to know where those places are though.

Guest laurenburton92

Well it seems u can't say anything in the slightest negative about adelaide OR the people in it without everyone jumping down your throat! These poor people who are thinking about moving here need to no what its really like + not through rose tinted glasses! My post has proved that u say one bad thing and everyone gets on the defensive! ( Or in most cases deletes ur post ) I was only giving my opininion and there ARE a lot of old people whose children have migrated to other states, there ARE a lot of residential homes! It doesn't matter WHY there are a lot of old people, because of being healthier ( which I think is total rubbish ) rhe fact is there are! And yes there are also young people but not half as much as I expected! Everything I said was not a dig at anyone it is the truth!

Lauren

Guest guest3462

Well, for the main part, living in Oz is the same as living anywhere else. You go to work to pay the bills, come home for dinner, go out with friends or slob in front of the rubbish on telly then go to bed ready to do it all over again the next day...................

Now comes the BIG DIFFERENCE!

People in general are friendly and you always get a hello or g'day!, the weather is mostly very appealing and allows for a healthier more outdoors based lifestyle. Kids are able to be kids throughout their entire childhood and do not seem to be tied to their playstations on a permenant basis! Working hours (for us anyway) are a lot better here than in UK allowing us to spend far more time together as a family. there is always some sort of celebration or social gathering to go to and you can take your kids and no one minds, the beaches are beautiful, clean and free. There are parks and playgrounds everywhere, all in full working order and no needles or sharps all over the place and mostly they cost nothing more than a gold coin donation. In summer you can camp outside without risk of hypothermia (though you do have to watch out for the snakes and spiders!!) You get to make a wish list of the products that you miss in the UK for all your relatives to bring with them when they visit (and they will)

The list could go on and on, I know it sounds like some sort of utopia which it certainly is not. You have to work very hard to make your life what you dreamed and believe me when I tell you that it can be the worst of everything and some days you just want to pack up and go home to the UK. Be sure to get your skills recognised as that is a nightmare for most hardworking people who come expecting to slot into a job they have been doing very well for years to find that an apprentice here holds higher ground (and it does happen a lot).

Come here with high expectations and expect to have to work and put in the effort to get what you want. Make it your business to know everyone in the know about where you want to be, even if you think that seems rude and arrogant, there is certainly a system of "who you know, not what you know" in Australia.

All in all, for us (most of the time) life in Australia is fantastic, there are highs and lows, but in comparrison to life in the UK it wins hands down!

Guest Django
Hi,

What's it really like living in OZ?

Well this morning I was awoken by two songbirds singing as they flew through my open window and perching at the foot of my bed. Four squirrels, six mice and a rabbit joined them and they helped me get dressed. Then we all sang a song together as we tided the kitchen and prepared breakfast for the family. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist. :biglaugh:

Qutoe - is a nightmare for most hardworking people who come expecting to slot into a job they have been doing very well for years to find that an apprentice here holds higher ground (and it does happen a lot).

I have to agree with this part of the post. No matter how qualified you are it is not recognised.

We are open to suggestion I think I was told at interview - well you must be joking, so the quote "do it our way or no way" is right from the experience I have from my work place.

I would like to know where the statistics are for peolpe in adelaide living longer than people in Cardiff.

Yes there are good things and bads things about adelaide (as with anywhere). I feel lauren92 was giving her opinion based on what she has seen and was not personally attacking people of adelaide.

Questions are put forward and it is nice to see what people feel. It would a shame if we have to resort to pm people to give your opinion, which I too have done as you feel the arguments will start if you place your opinion on her especially if it is different to most. Or I agree will be taken off.

I used this site a lot to gain information before we came to adelaide, I wish I had a few more honest answers, then I may not be in the situation that i am in now

yes I agree you cannot look at anywhere with rose tinted glasses as I have said there is good and bad in all places and it is nice to know what to expect.

Well this morning I was awoken by two songbirds singing as they flew through my open window and perching at the foot of my bed. Four squirrels, six mice and a rabbit joined them and they helped me get dressed. Then we all sang a song together as we tided the kitchen and prepared breakfast for the family. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist. :biglaugh:

Darn, you had me believing you for a minute there ... till you mentioned squirrels! We don't have squirrels in Australia (do we??!!!) ... Now if you'd said "four koalas, six kangaroos and a bilby" you'd have been sooo much more believable!!!!

You old Wizard of Oz, you!!

Guest Nomoreengland
Well just giving MY opinion not a criticism! Being young myself I have seen that the old population out rules the young a lot!

I agree with your comments Lauraburton92. Adelaide does seem to have a high amount of old people and is rather slow. At the end of the day if your a young local Adelaide youth and want make something of your life then many move away to Sydney or Melbourne, which explains why there is a lack of people aged between 18-39 years old.

Job prospects are limited in Adelaide for many. At the end of the day its a small country town so its not surprising I guess. Like ive said before places like Barrow in Furness, S****horpe and Eyemouth in Scotland in the Uk have the same type of problem.

Guest Guest75

To Lauren........

I seriously don't feel Adelaide is "Full of old people". Yes there is probably a higher proportion of people in their late 30's and onwards. Adelaide is a place that attracts families .

A lot of youngsters do go interstate for a while seeking better job prospects and the bright lights but most return to have family here.

To Fluffy, I was only funning your daughter Lauren, though I do admit that pensioners and retirees have a much better quality of life here - look at the "Grey Nomads".

If someone does have a different opinion it is not wrong to post it - as long as it does not turn argumentative.

I really cannot see where a post would have upset you Lauren.

Some people are very happy living here (although it ain't perfect) and they are not bashing anyone who makes a negative comment.

Guest laurenburton92

If it were to be argumentative, its from other poms posting basically saying that they don't like my opinion + trying to defend adelaide! I think iv got my point across, and like I said, it is my opinion + all poms who are looking to come over should be able to hear both sides of the story! Its not fun + games in adelaide, and for people my age, I really don't think there is a lot to draw people here!

Guest Squareman

Nomoreengland, how on earth can you compare S****horpe, BIF etc with Adelaide? You must be taking the mickey, surely? Adelaide has 3 universities and many of the world's leading brands have an office there. As for it being a 'small country town', Adelaide has THREE TIMES the population of Liverpool and Manchester, never mind Barrow in Furness, which has a population of 50 000. In fact, only London has a bigger population than Adelaide out of all the cities in the UK. Check this link for a comparison. Adelaide has a population of around 1.2million. England (Great Britain and Northern Ireland): Counties, Unitary Districts, Major Cities & Towns - Statistics & Maps on City Population

I have been to Adelaide twice now and there are PLENTY of young folk around. I sampled a million bars and such places and was often the oldest person there, and I'm only 36.

I think the perception of it being all older people might be caused by the fact that Adelaide is not really a place youngsters (or anyone!) would go to on holiday, so you don't see groups of young people with time on their hands and nothing to do but party all the time here like you do in Brisvegas and Sydney and Melbourne to some extent.

There are loads and loads of young people in Adelaide both working and studying but as I said, having only recently arrived here, Lauren and NME, it might be that you have not built up the networks yet to find out where all the younger folk hang out. As Squareman above points out, bars and clubs in Adelaide aren't all heaving with oldies on their zimmer frames - far from it!! Wait till summer and check out Glenelg Beach on a 40 degree evening!! The biggest difference is probably that it's such a great mix of all ages, all getting along just fine.

As you rightly point out, it's good for people to get a range of opinions, but even better for them to get the correct information, rather than unfounded inaccuracies. If the "92" in your name Lauren is your year of birth, it is probably that most other 18 year olds are home studying hard at the moment for their Year 12 exams which are no walk in the park!! Even Victor Harbor (which does have a bit of a reputation as God's Waiting Room) will be awash with more 18 years olds than most people can possibly bear during Schoolies Week in a few short months' time!!

There are certainly hundreds of P platers on the roads here which must mean a large proportion of those are young!