New Detention Centre in Hills?

Guest moonraker1959

Guest moonraker1959

Hi all,

Just got off the phone from one of my best mates who lives in the Hills,and she has just told me the government are turning the old army barracks in Inverbrackie(nr Woodside)into a detention centre for asylum seekers,to house up to 400 of them.I have mixed feelings about this,I used to reside up that way,and I'm wondering how some of the locals feel?Sorry don't know how to link the story,its on "Adelaide Now"website,just read some of the comments left,and its a mixed bag.

Guest guest3462

We were camping with a couple from Woodside at the weekend and they were opposing the centre, not because they didn't want it or the people housed in it there, but because the locals had not been told about it in advance. They feel like they were misinformed and as such the community is rebelling. Of course this will be futile as the government are going ahead with their plans anyway, but not very nice for the locals (and their house values!!)

Guest MrsHills

I dont think anyone is agains the idea, its the way its been handled, no concultation, no information etc..they have to go somewhere and it might as well be here (and yes I do live in the Hills). I do think they need to get a firm grip on the whole asylum/refugee thing to make sure we dont become a dumping ground (Australia that is) where everyone wants to come as they get hand outs. They need to take a look at the UK.

Guest Guest5035
I dont think anyone is agains the idea, its the way its been handled, no concultation, no information etc..they have to go somewhere and it might as well be here (and yes I do live in the Hills). I do think they need to get a firm grip on the whole asylum/refugee thing to make sure we dont become a dumping ground (Australia that is) where everyone wants to come as they get hand outs. They need to take a look at the UK.

don't get me started on this, its about time we stood up and said NO MORE, what about the homeless people in adelaide, were they offered the same.

Why should these so called refugees basically turn up on a boat and get everything. Yet look how some of us are treated, paperwork etc etc to get a visa, then all the xtra training req in some jobs. They get all the benefits thats going, what do we get.... FA

Its simple,, stop the f#####g boats, there rant over.

stevo

Guest Tterrier81
don't get me started on this, its about time we stood up and said NO MORE, what about the homeless people in adelaide, were they offered the same.

Why should these so called refugees basically turn up on a boat and get everything. Yet look how some of us are treated, paperwork etc etc to get a visa, then all the xtra training req in some jobs. They get all the benefits thats going, what do we get.... FA

Its simple,, stop the f#####g boats, there rant over.

stevo

here here, i work with the homeless and would much rather see those out there offered somewhere affordable to live.

as my old man said, look after your own and dont s**t on ur own doorstep

here here, i work with the homeless and would much rather see those out there offered somewhere affordable to live.

as my old man said, look after your own and dont s**t on ur own doorstep

Dont s**t on your own doorstep, of course not lets do it on someone elses and while were at it lets remove all of their rights too!! Have we forgotten who this land really belongs to? Many of us (residents of the Hills) are either immigrants or descendents of immigrants who fled persecution themselves. so acting like this is 'our land' is a touch hypocritical. How would you feel if a war erupted on English soil and it was your family who needed help? Would you be as quick to pass judgement? Just because they may not speak the same language or have the same colour skin does not give them any less rights (or us any more) to a safe environment for their family. I disagree with the government's arrogant handling on this and agree that more should be done for the homeless. Perhaps you should direct your efforts towards the governments homeless policy rather than at the persecuted individuals who are seeking refuge.

Guest kerfumph
Have we forgotten who this land really belongs to? Many of us (residents of the Hills) are either immigrants or descendents of immigrants who fled persecution themselves.

Yes, but they/us came and started with not a lot, they did't get it all free. This is only a 'passing through' centre, Just wait untill they go to the top of the housing trust list, then into the B and B's and then in to private rented houses. One of which may well be next to your house.

Seen it all before and theres only one winner and it's not us.