Buying Call of Duty: Black Ops from the UK

Guest Woody and Jane

Guest Woody and Jane

Attention bargain hunters, kids and adults who refuse to grow up. I've just ordered this for the PS3 from Amazon.co.uk for $72 including postage! It'll cost you a not so cool $120 over here so if you're not bothered about playing it a week after launch day it may be a good idea to pick it up.

I wasn't charged VAT which was weird, it may have been because I was paying using an Aussie card and shipping it here. I dunno.

Buying more than one may also be advantageous to some as postage was 9 quid (sorry, Aussie keyboards don't have a pound sign).

Woody.

Definitely always worth checking out amazon...

My son wants the Black Ops Prestige Edition...yet funnily enough its cheaper over here! $228 at EB Games.....yet 189 quid on Amazon which is about $300!!!

Yet...i have just bought some GHD's from Amazon in the UK for $100 less than over here!!!!

Always worth comparing....

Not 100% sure if it still the case, but be careful buying games from the UK.

It was (and maybe still is) illegal to buy games over here with an 18 certificate, I purchased a copy of Grand Theft Auto once, and it was confiscated by customs, and i was sent a letter on the law for importing offensive material.

The stupid thing was, the same game is over here but with a 15 cert.

Just be careful and check it out, or you could be wasting money.

Guest Woody and Jane
I purchased a copy of Grand Theft Auto once, and it was confiscated by customs, and i was sent a letter on the law for importing offensive material.

That just sounds unlucky, was there any indication as to it being GTA on the outside of the packet? I've ordered 18 rated games before without a problem.

It was (and maybe still is) illegal to buy games over here with an 18 certificate, I purchased a copy of Grand Theft Auto once, and it was confiscated by customs, and i was sent a letter on the law for importing offensive material.

Same game, but minus the violent blood and guts and bad language... e.g. borderlands, the UK version, you can blow people up and have body parts flying everywhere, or cut heads/limbs off with targeted shots (it's cartoon style graphics, so more hilarious than gory). apparently in the australian version they had to change it so the enemies just disappear once you've killed them. I've heard the same goes for the left for dead games.

I wasn't charged VAT which was weird, it may have been because I was paying using an Aussie card and shipping it here. I dunno.

Buying more than one may also be advantageous to some as postage was 9 quid (sorry, Aussie keyboards don't have a pound sign).

Woody.

Vat should always be removed for overseas customers (non-EU), just like you can claim the VAT back for purchases made while on holiday. However, be careful of buying in bulk, since it will then become worth australian customs' while to charge you the import tax. There's a certain threshold value at which the import tax involved becomes higher than cost of processing the paperwork for it. The savings in postage often won't cover this increased tax cost.

nb: one should also be wary of buying things from small shops that aren't used to sending items abroad, they often don't know they're supposed to take the VAT off, and if the item's above the aforementionned threshold, you can end up getting charged a double whammy of tax. not that I'm bitter because I got caught out that way before...

Edit: just looked it up, the threshold in australia is 1000AUD, so probably don't need to worry about it for most things (I used to live in switzerland where the limit was more like 50AUD, so had to be much more careful)

Hi, we have just bought a AUS PS3 and Wii for christmas and excuse my stupidity but do the uk games work on Aus consoles? are they not region set like dvds?

would be good to get some cheaper games sent over!

The consoles are regional, so can only play local DVDs. However most games are region free (through there are a few exceptions, I'm guessing this would be mentionned on the amazon/play descriptions if applicable).

Guest RichandHelen

Buying a game from the UK does have a drawback.If you like downloading Addons, maps or skins etc for a game it WILL NOT work. The Uk version needs the uk code to install. The PS3 will try to login to the Aussie store instead being over here.The Aussie code will not work on a Uk game .It is possible to get round by creating another "account" but its a pain in the arse :)

Guest Woody and Jane
Hi, we have just bought a AUS PS3 and Wii for christmas and excuse my stupidity but do the uk games work on Aus consoles? are they not region set like dvds?

Hi, PS3 games aren't region encoded, you could buy one from Timbooktu and it would work on any PS3 in the world. Wii games however I believe are region encoded but don't quote me on that.

Woody.

The PS3 work on bluray discs for games and movie.....aus and the uk are in the same region for bluray disc which is a bonus!

I didn't know about the bluray regions, that's a bonus, I do however know that UK PS3 consoles will not play Australian DVDs (nor will X-box 360s, or one of my sister's laptops, or her dvd player... luckily her old laptop had been region free'd, so she could watch her christmas present.... eventually!).

Guest Woody and Jane

$83 is really cheap for a brand new premium title over here. Just goes to show it pays to shop around. If places like EB Games do price match it just proves how much they are willing to rip you off in the first place. If there's one thing Australia needs it's competition in the retail market (oh and the banks because they're just shockingly bad).

I couldn't get into Fallout, too much wandering around doing nothing. I much prefer a straight up shooter.

RRP is rarely what you end up paying.

The wife picked up Medal Of Honour for me last week upon release.

EB Games wanted $110 for it, but Big W were selling it for $77.

EB Games price match too.

It will be interesting what price Big W and k-mart sell COD for.

yeah they will definitely price match...i pre-ordered the last COD game with EB games and paid the deposit etc...when it came out, BIG W sold it for around $40 cheaper...they price matched it...

Do we need to worry about bringing games over in our cases then! :huh:

anyone had problems doing this ?