Not renewing our 405 and going back.

Guest colette

Guest colette

First of all I would emphasise that everyone's circumstances are different so we can only say why we are leaving. We took early retirement and came out here as retiree/investors (405 visa). The visa is expensive and has to be renewed every four years at the cost of $22000. We only ever intended staying 4 years maximum 8. When we left the UK in May 2008 we had had enough of the UK but then we were living in Berks which is really unfriendly. The first two years here were fantastic. We bought a lovely house and trained as ESL (English to non english speakers) teachers. I worked casually which was terrific. When we left the UK we thought Oz was different, however we now realise it has similar problems to the UK maybe not to the same degree but certainly of the same type. Inept government, rising crime, rising cost of living, Political Correctness, too much traffic etc. We spent a year house hunting because we couldn't believe how South Australians like to surround themselves with colour bond fencing to shut out the neighbours. The view from some of the houses (beautiful inside) was of fencing which felt like a prison. We had travelled all over Australia in the past with the exception of South Australia and chose here because the investment for visa purposes is slightly less. The beaches and seascapes are the best in the world. We have lived in various countries throughout my husband's career and these are the best seascapes we have ever seen. So if barbecues and beaches are enough then this is the place for you. I believe it is a great place to bring up children in many respects. However children still get driven everywhere and I rarely see them play out in the street, but this might just be in the affluent Eastern suburbs. Personally we miss the history, the architecture and culture of the UK. Just as the UK is on a guilt trip because of it's empire, Australia is on a guilt trip because of it's treatment of Aborigines and in my opinion they deny their history and amazing achievements. So why are we leaving, after a lifetime of paying tax in the UK we find it very hard to come to terms with paying to visit a doctor, paying large sums for prescriptions, paying huge amounts for private medicine and still getting serious wrong diagnosis. Ambulances cost $740 if you call them out, so it is vital you have ambulance cover. In the end it is too far away and travel opportunities are limited. My children were educated in Jamaica, India and Kiev and are grateful for the opportunities we gave them. I am sure it would be different if we had young children and were on a better visa. We went to the UK this year and stayed in Yorkshire. We were knocked out by the genuine friendliness of the people, the scenery, the culture, the architecture etc. I can lawfully say that there is no more beautiful place in the world. So we have decided to up sticks and return to blighty. You will never really appreciate the NHS until it is taken away from you. It is also so easy to travel from the UK to other countries. So much of Australia is desert and if you are not an outdoor type then it can be quite boring. I also don't like the urban sprawl in Adelaide where houses are just built on top of one another all along the coast, it can be quite ugly. This is just my opinion and I am lucky to have the means and the will to keep on moving. I know many people make a choice to come here and then can't afford to move back. I do think anyone planning to come to Australia should be realistic. It is no paradise and has many of its own problems. Sorry for going on so long. Best of luck in your move Colette

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great post hun.

I luv Adelaide..but after going back to Nottingham for a few weeks hols....I decided it wouldn't be the end of the world if we decided to go back there.(contrary to what some narrow minded people think).

You have to do what is right for you and I totally understand your reasons.

Good luck for the future

Nick

x

I think your story would be great to read, how many hoops did you have to go through to get a 405 visa, was the english speaking thing a money earner as I thought you had to be able to speak english to get into australia.

I would not agree that the UK is the most beautiful pace in the world, I have been to far far better places but I cannot disagree with your comments on the services UK citizens don't have to pay for....at the moment!

Good luck with your plans and make sure you keep us up to date with them.

I totally understand what you are saying. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I must admit I too resent having to pay for all things that we took for granted under the NHS. Australia isn't the land of milk and honey but programs like 'Wanted Down Under' have painted this rosy image and the British are still coming over in their hordes. The UK has many beautiful places to live, the only problem is the weather. Good luck, I'm sure you won't regret this adventure in your lives.

Wishing you all the best, england is a beautiful place - sometimes you do not realise until you are in the process of leaving! Currently loving the beautiful landscape as trees are a rainbow of colour, love the cold days with blue skies - but sadly the rain has now set in :(

Looking forward to another summer as we land in our new home in 2 weeks :)

Guest moonraker1959

Having spent 30 years in SA,and returning to my roots back in the UK 10 years ago,I know where you're coming from.I was back in SA last year,visiting family/friends,and was quite shocked to see how much Adelaide had grown.Yes SA does have some beautiful beaches,but I came to realise there was more to life!Best of luck with the move back,and hope all goes well for you!

Having just returned to live in Yorkshire 3 months ago after 5 years in Adelaide, I can honestly say we definitely made the right decision to come back. I agree with lots of things in the original post. I think Adelaide is a beautiful place but our family all agree that we much prefer living in Yorkshire again. It's very true that you don't realise what you have here until you move away. Within a couple of weeks both me and my husband have jobs (paying more than in Adelaide), we bought a great house a month ago and daughter is 18 and attending College (free of charge!). The UK does have it's problems but it really isn't as bad as a lot of people say it is.

Guest colette
I think your story would be great to read, how many hoops did you have to go through to get a 405 visa, was the english speaking thing a money earner as I thought you had to be able to speak english to get into australia.

I would not agree that the UK is the most beautiful pace in the world, I have been to far far better places but I cannot disagree with your comments on the services UK citizens don't have to pay for....at the moment!

Good luck with your plans and make sure you keep us up to date with them.

Our visa was quite easy to obtain provided we had the money. We sold our house in Berkshire at the peak of house prices and were able to afford the investment and the visa cost as well as having the specified funds for the visa. The visa is purely to raise revenue and we do not ever get PR no matter how long we are here. It is not a good visa. We trained as English teachers for the money when the exchange rate changed drastically.

We decided to move to Oz for an adventure. At the time we bought our house we intended staying for 6 or 7 years and then moving off again. We were lucky we brought the cash over when the exchange rate was very much in our favour making it possible to buy a nice house in the Eastern suburbs.

However we just don't feel that there is enough to keep us here. We have a daughter in New York and another in London and although they have been out to visit us it is just too far for short visits. We spent 3 months in Europe this year and found Yorkshire wonderful. We were surprised at our reaction as we expected to be dying to get back to Adelaide. We spent some time in France because we thought we might move there next. We were disappointed in France (my husband is a fluent French speaker) because it was so expensive and lovely to visit but not to live there.

The main attraction Adelaide had for us was the weather. However this winter has been awful, though the outside temp never drops below freezing the houses are inefficiently heated. It is often warmer outside than in and everything in the house is cold to the touch. This lasts for at least 5 months and then for at least another 3 months it is just too hot to do anything. The weather is perfect for about 3 months of the year. We decided that for the cost of the visa we could spend 3 months of the UK winter in sunnier climes. We are staying until next year as our daughter and her husband are coming from New York for 6 months, otherwise we would pack up now. Adelaide has been an adventure, we have met lots of acquaintances and a few friends, we have a wonderful set of neighbours and it is good to be able to form our own view on Australia rather than the media hype of TV programmes which I think has had varying influences on us all. We don't know anyone in Yorks but it looks like a nice place to have another adventure.

It will be nice to be able to buy books without having to take out a bank loan, to visit historic buildings that are older than my Nana and travel to other cities by road without it taking a minimum of 8 hours to get there. We are so excited about our next adventure and if Yorkshire doesn't work out then at least the amount we will be saving on visas and healthcare will help us move somewhere else for yet another adventure. Nearer the time I will be posting lots of goods for sale!!!!

Thank you for your good wishes.

Guest colette
Having just returned to live in Yorkshire 3 months ago after 5 years in Adelaide, I can honestly say we definitely made the right decision to come back. I agree with lots of things in the original post. I think Adelaide is a beautiful place but our family all agree that we much prefer living in Yorkshire again. It's very true that you don't realise what you have here until you move away. Within a couple of weeks both me and my husband have jobs (paying more than in Adelaide), we bought a great house a month ago and daughter is 18 and attending College (free of charge!). The UK does have it's problems but it really isn't as bad as a lot of people say it is.

You post has made me more determined to move to Yorkshire, we loved Harrogate as it had everything anyone could want. Where are you based. Any advice on moving back would be appreciated. You have cheered me up no end. Thanks Colette

just my opinion but you found faults in england then you come here and find faults i think you will proberly find faults where ever u settle. I come from berks and think its amazing windsor where i was brought up is a great place and i come here i think its great also kids playing on the beach great weather friendly people, i,ll give you the health care isnt great but its defo one of the best places i have ever been of which there has been alot!

Again im not trying to upset you just think maybe you have to look at the good instead of finding the bad because as long as any place on eath has humans in it, then there will be bad bits

:)Just wanted to wish you well in your move back. I know what you mean about the culture side of things as i went back for a month just recently. However, after 2 weeks i wanted to come home to Adelaide, for me going back made me realsie i made the best decision to come here with my son and his life is so much better here. Everyone is different and each experience is unique, good luck on your next chapter hun xx

Great OP and so much truth in it when you said about the colorbond fencing in the back yards it took me back to the UK and the back gardens where you could talk to your neighbors not like here you do not know your neighbors.Limited travel opertunities and paying for everything its ok when you are younger and healther but as you get older and your body is wearing out you end up paying out a fortune on medical bills. I wish you all the best with your move and I hope that one day I will be following you.

Guest colette
just my opinion but you found faults in england then you come here and find faults i think you will proberly find faults where ever u settle. I come from berks and think its amazing windsor where i was brought up is a great place and i come here i think its great also kids playing on the beach great weather friendly people, i,ll give you the health care isnt great but its defo one of the best places i have ever been of which there has been alot!

Again im not trying to upset you just think maybe you have to look at the good instead of finding the bad because as long as any place on eath has humans in it, then there will be bad bits

As I said at the beginning of my posts everyone's circumstances are different. My children were educated in Maidenhead when we weren't abroad and loved it. Windsor is glorious but in comparison to Yorkshire, Berks people are not as friendly and welcoming, that is my opinion. As you don't know anything about me I find it offensive and antagonistic that you should conclude that I will find fault anywhere I settle. Adelaide works for you, it doesn't work for me. Open fora like this one encourages people to give their experiences without attracting personal criticism. I have no idea whether you left the UK because you didn't like it, I left because I wanted an adventure and having achieved that goal I want to move on. This thread is for people going back and saying why they are going back, it is not meant for personal attacks which will only deter people from sharing their posts. Cheers

Guest nicandchris

Ironically, im from Derbyshire but lived in London just prior to coming up to Yorkshire in 2006, i left london because i was fed up with the big city working with people whom you wernt particularly close to etc however i was very surprised when i got to Scarorough as it found it awful! The people were so close knit that 'outsiders' wernt particularly welcomed and everyone knew everyone else's business!

Now four years later i have a one or two friends that i would call close but basically i left everyone to it workwise and move to a job in York and actually appreciated working again with people who wernt so attached at the hip (so to speak).

Guest nicandchris

Ill just add that personally whilst Yorshire is very very beautiful especially here this area the people can be a funny bunch, id just come to scarborough for a holiday and leave it at that! hehe

Guest colette
Ill just add that personally whilst Yorshire is very very beautiful especially here this area the people can be a funny bunch, id just come to scarborough for a holiday and leave it at that! hehe

I know what you mean about folk! We are looking at Harrogate which we liked a lot but who knows? We will see how it goes. We are delighted we have had the experience of Adelaide and have thoroughly enjoyed it for the last couple of years but feel it is time to move on. We found Scarborough a bit crowded and touristy but liked the 'gentility' of Filey. It was like a blast from the past. We also liked Robin Hood Bay but would only like to visit. Harrogate was lovely and so close to Leeds, York, the Dales and not too far from the sea. When do you arrive in Adelaide?

Cheers

Colette

Guest moneypenny

Colette have you quoted the wrong figure for the investment, I thinks its $220,000. We looked at the 405 visa as we were anxious to make the move to OZ. Although we had enough yearly income and the investment money we couldn't quite make the amount needed for funding a lifestyle (no appeal on this one) so here we are in the sunny South West. Eldest son emmigrating to Canada so that could be our next stop. Best of luck where ever you end up.

Guest colette
Colette have you quoted the wrong figure for the investment, I thinks its $220,000. We looked at the 405 visa as we were anxious to make the move to OZ. Although we had enough yearly income and the investment money we couldn't quite make the amount needed for funding a lifestyle (no appeal on this one) so here we are in the sunny South West. Eldest son emmigrating to Canada so that could be our next stop. Best of luck where ever you end up.

The investment for South Australia is US$500,000 at the current interest rate, you also have to have a separate $500,000 in funds and an annual income of $50,000. The actual sticker visa in your passport costs approx. £22,000 when you first apply and then every four years after that. The government can raise the cost of the visa sticker whenever they like. It was increased by 20% last year. For this you get permission to work 20 hours per week, you renew it every 4 years, no medicare and no permanent residence. We visited Canada extensively in the past but just like the idea of a new place in the UK where the medical etc is free and the culture is great.

I wouldn't recommend the 405 but then it is just my opinion.

Cheers

Colette

good luck to you in your new move life is for living and I think you do what is best for your family at a certain time. would completley agree re NHS. We lived in ireland before we came here and always laughed so hard when it was said NHS was crap. Fabulus system. Yorkshire is fab. enjoy

Guest markbevjake

Fantastic OP. All the best with your next adventure guys and I think you guys are great and are living examples of my moto that " life is not a spectator sport"

Let's face it, life is just one long adventure until you die, hopefully by which time you've guided your children in the right direction and maybe left them with something to make life a little bit easier.

One day Adelaide is awesome, the next it's sh1t. Same place different days - you work it out??

Hi there

I havn't looked on this site for a while as we have been settling back since moving back. Its the best decision we ever made and I feel so happy again as we are able to see family. I too missed the Uk and we are now back in beautiful Yorkshire in Harrogate. It is a lovely place and where I grew up. Adelaide isn't for everyone. For me I felt really isolated and really missed the security of having my family around. We have two young children. My husband misses the weather but I'm loving putting the central heating on and feeling cosy and warm as it starts to get cold here. We can always fly to the sunshine, just not as far as Adelaide!! Hope it all works out. It was a big move back but definitely worth it.

Guest guest3462

Harrogate is a beautiful part of the world and i'm sure you will have many happy times there. I remember though once being asked to leave Bettys Tea rooms as my baby was unsettled and crying and I must admit I took great offence to that and it put me off the place a bit... there are a lot of wealthier upper middle classes living in the area and they always seemed to have their noses in the air?? Maybe thats because i'm a Barnsley lass and have few simples airs and graces about me!! Lol! I lived in South and West Yorkshire and there are some things that I do miss in the 2 years we have been gone, but mainly I have found my happy (though sometimes very unhappy!) place here in Adelaide! We have toyed with the idea of going back to Yorkshire several times, but more due to the beaurocracy of the Australian immigration system than anything else, and to be honest at times I still feel like I could pack up and go back even though I know we will visa permitting stay here forever.

I wish you all the best of luck with your new adventure while hoping at the same time that mine is just beginning here in Adelaide! :-)

JC

Guest colette
Hi there

I havn't looked on this site for a while as we have been settling back since moving back. Its the best decision we ever made and I feel so happy again as we are able to see family. I too missed the Uk and we are now back in beautiful Yorkshire in Harrogate. It is a lovely place and where I grew up. Adelaide isn't for everyone. For me I felt really isolated and really missed the security of having my family around. We have two young children. My husband misses the weather but I'm loving putting the central heating on and feeling cosy and warm as it starts to get cold here. We can always fly to the sunshine, just not as far as Adelaide!! Hope it all works out. It was a big move back but definitely worth it.

We visited Harrogate for a week and fell in love with it. We will be moving there next year. Any advice would be welcome i.e. removals, nice areas to live etc. I am delighted you feel you made the right move. We are so excited about another adventure. It would be nice to keep in touch as we don't know anyone in Yorkshire but then we didn't know anyone before we came to Adelaide. it is all part of the adventure.