teenage visitor,

Scousemouse

Hi guys,

my 19 yo god daughter arrives in 3 weeks...............she asked on weds, applied for a visa on friday, granted same day, and has her flight booked today!!!

Amazing how fast teenagers can move, isnt it??

Thing is, im NOT 19, or even 27; so her social life wont be up to much unless you guys can help me!!

She doesnt drive, so the eastern burbs, or the city is about the range i can think of for now....................are there any folks out there with ideas, or teenagers who can help?

My inital excitement is turning to panic.....already. She is from Cumbria, so an ear for accents might be required; or an ESL teacher at least, lol!:biglaugh:

Also, she will will need work, what to apply for; she has worked in nursing homes, pubs, shops and a chippy..............

Thanks in advance

Jane

Guest tinkham_lee

Im guessing she is coming on a working holiday visa. both of my working holiday visas were granted on the same day, the first one within 5 minutes of submitting it.

If she wants bar work she will have to apply for a licence to serve alcohol. not sure how to do it or how much. There will be plenty of casual work in shops coming up to Christmas. or take a drive round the agencies to see what work they have got.

Although with the school holidays coming up, a lot of shops will take school kids before looking at people on working holiday visas, some of the big shops (Myer being one of them) wont even look at your CV, I know this from my own experience.

Hope she finds some work, and enjoys her visit

Thanks Lee,

didnt realise she had to apply for a liscence to work in a pub, will check that out at the council offices.........more money, i suppose!!!!

As for the stores taking on schoolies, my lad has applied for loads of jobs, got nowhere fast, reckon he's got a point about IGA................Italian, Greek, Australian,lol.

Guest tinkham_lee

Just did some research,

The license you need to work behind a bar is called "RSA" (Responsible Sale of Alcohol) and it costs about $85 and takes a day to do, and I think you can do it on-line.

Google RSA courses south Australia as you need a new RSA for every state you want to work in

You can work in a bar without the licence, you just cant serve alcohol.

I used to work in a bar in England and was looking at bar work over here but every place I spoke to asked if I had the RSA.