Can anyone tell me what Port Lincoln is like

Guest Rachael Reeve

Guest Rachael Reeve

We are thinking of moving over to Port Lincoln, Can you please tell me what its like? Schools,housing,shops and places to go.:D We have four young kids will there be things for them to do? My son does go karting in the UK every weekend. Are there places he can go over there?:D

Guest WhatNow?

Have a friend who brought her two teenagers up there and will ask her for her opinion if you like. She is originally from Manchester though came out in the 70s to Adelaide then moved out to PL when she got married. From what she tells me it is a very pleasant place to live, though miles from anywhere and a flight required to get to Adelaide, especially now the ferry not running has added a few hours onto the drive (about 8 hours in total). Housing is much cheaper and the beach very accessible and quiet. Loads of Croatian self made millionaires who effectively run the fisheries and live in extravagant mansions, but probably not many Brits to share your exile with! I will ask her about the facilities for kids.

Can't comment on what it's like to live there but we went for a long weekend over Easter. Lovely place but very quiet and we ran out of things to do after a couple of days so kids may find it very quiet. If anyone is going for a holiday would defo recommend the 'swimming with tuna' trip :-).

Guest katsmajic

I was a bit unnerved by the shark net off the jetty - the only 'safe' bit to swim in....chatting to the locals i was told that GW's regularly come to the end of the jetty :err:

Guest kangaroo

You couldn't have picked a better place! Port Lincoln is the most beautiful place to live and raise your children. It is safe, comfortable living, relaxing and sociable. Housing is inexpensive and there are loads of things to do for all the family. New families are always welcomed in by locals and the children and there are loads of sports and groups to be involved in. Stunning National Parks, fantastic fishing,swimming & diving, 4wding etc. We have raised 5 kids in Port Lincoln and couldn't be happier.

My husband and I also run a tour operation so if you come over to check out the region make sure you give us a call and we will give you a special rate to show you around to help you make up your mind.

To see up to date photos of some great places to see and things to do on Port Lincoln and the fantastic surrounding areas you might like to check out our website Adventure Holidays Port Lincoln and Flinders Ranges South Australia

Everything you see is available for you to experience. I am happy for you to use me as a sounding board and to give you some local hints and tips on anything you wish. My family are 5th generation Port Lincolnites so we should certainly be able to give you answers.

PS: I am positive your go karting son would love sandboarding check out the Wild Dune Drive here 4WD Tours :: Wilderness Wanders - Port Lincoln, South Australia

Once your children get a taste for this type of fun I think your decision will be made. all my contact details are on the website happy to help as your first local contact and look forward to hopefully meeting you one day.

Guest WhatNow?
We are thinking of moving over to Port Lincoln, Can you please tell me what its like? Schools,housing,shops and places to go.:D We have four young kids will there be things for them to do? My son does go karting in the UK every weekend. Are there places he can go over there?:D

Hi Rachael, as promised I asked my friend who lives in Port Lincoln (from Manchester via Adelaide) for her opinion. Here are her comments...

"Pt Lincoln is a great place to bring up kids if you like country living. Not sure re the carting facilities, not great I suspect. Shopping for someone from UK probably also not good...its an isolated town remember. It is a 7.5 hour journey from the city and it is a country town....one set of traffic lights!

There are some brits here...but no associations etc. There is a multi-cultural association. Sports..footy, hockey, cricket and sea-activities such as fishing and sailing are the main activities and of course camping.

For a person from a city in UK it would be a huge adjustment I think. Maybe better to start in Adelaide and check Pt Lincoln out before committing."

There you have it - a lovely place to visit but if you are at all in need of good shopping and a social life, probably not the first choice. Of course if you are thinking of going there for a job as a means to get a visa and only have to stay for, say, a couple of years, it would be worth considering - the property there is considerably cheaper!

Guest kangaroo

Oh yes very true about the shops. We are a bit limited here but you get used to that very quickly. We have all the basics and it is only getting better year after year. We have dirt circuit & motorcross racing too.

It is of course an adjustment but a great one.

• 4 months later...