5 Good, 5 Bad

Guest Django

I thought a thread like this may give those yet to arrive an idea of what faces them. Can as many people as possible have a think and choose 5 good points about living here but also to give it a bit of balance 5 bad points. Here are mine......

Good

1. In my experience I have found the people here are on the whole more friendly or at least less miserable than those of the UK.

2. I love being in built up areas and seeing parrots and other colourful birds flying about. Never stops putting a smile on my face.

3. We can plan trips and visits to places in advance without having to think too hard about a wet weather alternative.

4. We certainly see a lot more blue skies then grey ones. Someone said to me when we first got here "The skies are a lot bigger here" I now know exactly what he meant.

5 My job. Not the best paid by any means but it is one of very few that I have done where I actually look forward to getting up in the morning for.

Bad

1. The houses. Yes they are bigger but not as well built as those in the UK. Very poorly insulated which means not only are they hard and expensive to keep warm in the winter but also to keep cool in the summer.

2. Its not just the fact that we moved away from people but how far. I recently became a grandparent for the first time and I can't just jump in the car and pop over to meet my new grand daugter for a day.

3. I can't get a decent pint of Guinness. Yes you can get it here but the important word is 'decent'.

4. Having to watch Adelaide United instead of QPR

5. Those flys. Those damn annoying flys.

Guest kerfumph

Bad

1. The houses. Yes they are bigger but not as well built as those in the UK. Very poorly insulated which means not only are they hard and expensive to keep warm in the winter but also to keep cool in the summer.

I never get this, insulation specs are about the same as the UK, r3.5 ceilings,r 2 walls. The reason they heat up and cool down so quick (and cost a lot to do the reverse) is because they are so big and mostly being 1 story have huge roofs. People moan that their bills are twice the Uk, but don't tell you the house is twice as big. Go figure.:goofy:

Good and bad points?

I only have 2.

Good

Less people

Bad

Less people

People moan that their bills are twice the Uk, but don't tell you the house is twice as big. Go figure

Been and figured.

Windows are single glazed and when shut you can feel the wind blow through them. Walls in both rentals I've had have gaps in where you can see inside. Neither have insulation above the celing. Rooms are about the same size as our UK ones. When you turned the heating off in the UK the room cooled down slowly. Here you turn the heating off and its like it was never on after a few minutes. In short I stand by my point. Insulation in aussie houses in my opinion and experience is crap. ;)

I never get this, insulation specs are about the same as the UK, r3.5 ceilings,r 2 walls. The reason they heat up and cool down so quick (and cost a lot to do the reverse) is because they are so big and mostly being 1 story have huge roofs. People moan that their bills are twice the Uk, but don't tell you the house is twice as big. Go figure.:goofy:

The insulation specs for new builds might be OK - but what about all the older houses? Our 1970s rental is brick veneer (only 1 row of bricks) and probably has no insulation in the roof. The windows are huge and single glazed and it doesn't retain heat for more than about 5 minutes !!! :arghh:

Guest kerfumph

There's crappy houses everywhere, I bet UK rentals have some horror stories as well and I guess most expats have never lived in one untill moving here. No heating /insulation regs in the 70's in Uk either.

Windows are poor, yes, but cheap, you can't have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Live in a decent house and you won't have a problem, rentals won't be decent as there done for minimal outlay, the same the world over. Build your own house and say it's crap, you're the one to blame.

Guest Martin and Val

5 Good things:

Carlton Draft and the one nobody else seems to like West End

Beach

Hills

Carlton Draft/West End/Ted's etc etc

People in general

life in general

Birds

Animals

Long Summers

Short winters although this last one seems to have gone on a bit

Whoops going on a bit, sorry.

5 Bad things:

3 Grandchildren in Norway not OZ

Beer more Expensive

Family far away although sometimes not a bad thing!

I earn much less (but I love my job, sometimes)

Beer more Expensive

If I can think of anything more sensible I'll be back

Martin

Guest shella_n

5 good points:

1. The Adelaide Hills - love love love the hills

2. Impromtu BBQ's and get togethers which happen all the time

3. My kids are riding bikes, climbing trees and climbing mountains (all never happend in uk)

4. Everyone is much friendlier and dont look at you like youve got 2 heads if you try and strike up a conversation

5. Most weekends we can get out and actually do stuff and see stuff and not be stuck inside

5 Bad points:

1. In my experience the educaion standards in public schools are not good

2. Bloody mozzies

3. The price of food

4. The price of cars

5. The crappe TV

Guest moonraker1959
5 good points:

1. The Adelaide Hills - love love love the hills

2. Impromtu BBQ's and get togethers which happen all the time

3. My kids are riding bikes, climbing trees and climbing mountains (all never happend in uk)

4. Everyone is much friendlier and dont look at you like youve got 2 heads if you try and strike up a conversation

5. Most weekends we can get out and actually do stuff and see stuff and not be stuck inside

5 Bad points:

1. In my experience the educaion standards in public schools are not good

2. Bloody mozzies

3. The price of food

4. The price of cars

5. The crappe TV

Do you mind me asking why your kids never rode bikes,climbed tree's and mountains in the UK?I have aussie kids(we all now live in the UK)and we've always done those activities in both countries?????Now my grandkids are doing the same,yes in the UK!

There's crappy houses everywhere, I bet UK rentals have some horror stories as well and I guess most expats have never lived in one untill moving here. No heating /insulation regs in the 70's in Uk either.

Windows are poor, yes, but cheap, you can't have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Live in a decent house and you won't have a problem, rentals won't be decent as there done for minimal outlay, the same the world over. Build your own house and say it's crap, you're the one to blame.

Windows cheap ooo tell me where I can find cheap windows here:notworthy:

Lived in a 1900's a 1970's and 1935 and a brand newhouse in the uk all was insulated stayed warm, (need to really lol) live in a 1970's and a newish build here both bloody freezing:biglaugh: and if I could afford to build my own house I would.

Right 5 good

the sun

the sun

the sun

the sun

the sun

5 bad

bugs

bugs

bugs

bugs

having to go to work when the sun is shining:goofy:

Good

Sunshine

Wineries

Central Market

Accessibility of the City, parks and hills

Great public libraries

Wide roads, no traffic jams

Bad

Flight costs and availability out of here to anywhere else

Crap media (radio, papers, TV)

Job market

Christmas away from parents and friends

Snakes

Pokies in characterless pubs

Sorry - can't count!

Guest SA Great
Do you mind me asking why your kids never rode bikes,climbed tree's and mountains in the UK?I have aussie kids(we all now live in the UK)and we've always done those activities in both countries?????Now my grandkids are doing the same,yes in the UK!

Good old Moonraker. Will never hear a bad word said about the UK!

Guest Martin and Val

But obviously not the climbing mountains bit in Wiltshire as there are no mountains!:biglaugh:

It's OK here;some good and bads i've found are,

Good;

Friendlier,happier people in general.Met loads of lovely people here.

Sunny Days in abundance

I Like my job

No need to rush in to buying a house,as can afford to pay rent,live well and save.

Hundreds of Groups and Societies for any pastime or leisure activity you may wish to take up.

Bad;

The ridicuously bad and dangerous driving here,and the confusing road systems,designed to bring in revenue via the Police.

The poorly constructed houses.Freezing in the Winter and Roasting in the Summer!

The furtive and ever escalating prices in the big 2 Supermarkets,daft offers like Buy 10,get one free?

Just my Opinion.;)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Good...

1- sun

2 -open spaces

3 -Parrots

4 -Great country to exlplore

5 -Mostly friendly people

Bad

1 - electric plugs and sockets

2 -crap drivers for the most part

3 -centipedes

4 -crap christmas

5 - That annoying yelllow weed that grows in the winter

Guest katsmajic

Great Thread...

5 good -

the beaches and not paying to park on them let alone near them

days out and camping planned in advance without the wet weather alternative

the wildlife, love seeing roo's and koala's an;d parrots etc but miss squirrels

getting 2 great jobs with great pay

meeting genuine friendly paople and making amazing friendships

(i dont mind the roads/drivers here - i = blend in well :biglaugh:)

opportunity to now own/build my own home...

5 bad -

snakes and sharks

freezing rental however now in own home with extra insultation and heating woohoo

stupid oclock footie

nasty grass in the summer thats full of prickles that you cant walk on...

cant think of anything else...

oh family being so far away but we knew that before we came....

i'm totally in the loving it brigade but do see the faults, but am able to see ways through or past most of them faults to make my life good.

Guest Dave & Carole

Good

1)The sky does seem bigger ( I know it not, but hey it makes us smile)

2) Friendly people

3) There is no pretence; people say it like it is, no-one judges you on what you wear or what car you drive, or what you house is like

4) Seeing the sea everyday

5)Variety of things to do as a family that are free or don't cost much

6 )(sorry) The magpies sing and you see parrotts just flying around :)

Bad

1) Lack of double glazing - feels colder in the winter - not sure that it actually is but hearing the noise of the weather certainly makes you feel colder

2) Having to wear suncream most the of the year (but small price to pay to enjoy the glorious sunshine)

3) Flies in the summer

4) The Australian public school 'curriculum' - its current structure is fantatsic if you have a good teacher, but if you get a rubblish one it is easy for that teacher to get away with teaching very little. (Just our experience of one school though).

5)TV scheduling doesn't run to time ( if you set up to record stuff you have to add on loads to avoid missing the end of shows ------scraping around for 5!!!

Guest guest3462

OOOH I love this........

The Good:

1)beaches galore

2)friendly people

3)wonderful wildlife on your doorstep (literally!!!)

4)sunny blue skies

5)opportunities for families to be families and kids to be kids while feeling safe

The Bad:

1)DIAC -Get PR before you come!!!lol!

2)BIG spiders!!!!

3)poor choice in supermarkets for extorionate prices

4)idiot drivers with no manners when you let them in!!

5)rubbish tv

GOOD

1.Sun

2.Beaches

3.Space & yellow grass in Summer hehehe

4.House, cause I love mine :D

5.And finally the aussies, cause they make me laugh :D

BAD

1.Winter, just too damn chilly

2.No family, very hard being soo far away :(

3.Mosquitos, Im eaten alive :(

4.Port Adelaide hehehe, Ive a house full of Collingwood fans hehehe

5.Sharks !!!!!

Guest moonraker1959
Good old Moonraker. Will never hear a bad word said about the UK![/QUOT

Hey enough of the old,the avatar is actually my husbands!:biglaugh:Actually I never whinged either about living in Australia when I was there,must be an eternal optimists/realists!

Guest moonraker1959
But obviously not the climbing mountains bit in Wiltshire as there are no mountains!:biglaugh:
Why not obviously?We have lived in Scotland and Cumbria,so yes we have climbed mountains!