• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 5 Good, 5 Bad

Title
      Liked
      420 times
      Rep

5 Good, 5 Bad

I thought a thread like this may give those yet to arrive an idea of what faces them. Can as many people as possible have a think and choose 5 good points about living here but also to give it a bit of balance 5 bad points. Here are mine......

Good
      1. In my experience I have found the people here are on the whole more friendly or at least less miserable than those of the UK.
      2. I love being in built up areas and seeing parrots and other colourful birds flying about. Never stops putting a smile on my face.
      3. We can plan trips and visits to places in advance without having to think too hard about a wet weather alternative.
      4. We certainly see a lot more blue skies then grey ones. Someone said to me when we first got here "The skies are a lot bigger here" I now know exactly what he meant.
      5 My job. Not the best paid by any means but it is one of very few that I have done where I actually look forward to getting up in the morning for.

Bad
      1. The houses. Yes they are bigger but not as well built as those in the UK. Very poorly insulated which means not only are they hard and expensive to keep warm in the winter but also to keep cool in the summer.
      2. Its not just the fact that we moved away from people but how far. I recently became a grandparent for the first time and I can't just jump in the car and pop over to meet my new grand daugter for a day.
      3. I can't get a decent pint of Guinness. Yes you can get it here but the important word is 'decent'.
      4. Having to watch Adelaide United instead of QPR
      5. Those flys. Those damn annoying flys.

Title
      Liked
      579 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
      4. Having to watch Adelaide United instead of QPR

Thats a bit harsh!! LOL
      If you wanna a beer....PM me

Daniel, 31 and Stephanie, 30, Arrived 30th April 2008 and LOVING IT!!!

Title
      Liked
      420 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by scooterdan View Post
      Thats a bit harsh!! LOL
      I was srugglinging to reach 5 bad points.

kerfumph
      Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post

Bad
      1. The houses. Yes they are bigger but not as well built as those in the UK. Very poorly insulated which means not only are they hard and expensive to keep warm in the winter but also to keep cool in the summer.
      I never get this, insulation specs are about the same as the UK, r3.5 ceilings,r 2 walls. The reason they heat up and cool down so quick (and cost a lot to do the reverse) is because they are so big and mostly being 1 story have huge roofs. People moan that their bills are twice the Uk, but don't tell you the house is twice as big. Go figure.

Good and bad points?

I only have 2.

Good
      Less people

Bad
      Less people
      Last edited by kerfumph; 07-11-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: less or fewer? Dunno.

Title
      Liked
      420 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by kerfumph View Post
      People moan that their bills are twice the Uk, but don't tell you the house is twice as big. Go figure
      Been and figured.

Windows are single glazed and when shut you can feel the wind blow through them. Walls in both rentals I've had have gaps in where you can see inside. Neither have insulation above the celing. Rooms are about the same size as our UK ones. When you turned the heating off in the UK the room cooled down slowly. Here you turn the heating off and its like it was never on after a few minutes. In short I stand by my point. Insulation in aussie houses in my opinion and experience is crap. ;)

Title
      Liked
      830 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by kerfumph View Post
      I never get this, insulation specs are about the same as the UK, r3.5 ceilings,r 2 walls. The reason they heat up and cool down so quick (and cost a lot to do the reverse) is because they are so big and mostly being 1 story have huge roofs. People moan that their bills are twice the Uk, but don't tell you the house is twice as big. Go figure.
      The insulation specs for new builds might be OK - but what about all the older houses? Our 1970s rental is brick veneer (only 1 row of bricks) and probably has no insulation in the roof. The windows are huge and single glazed and it doesn't retain heat for more than about 5 minutes !!!
      Backpacked round Australia 1992. Married Australian husband in Adelaide 1994. Lived in Adelaide 1994-1997. Moved back to UK & lived in Essex/Herts 1997-2009. Returned to Adelaide November 2009. 2 kids dual nationality.

kerfumph
      There's crappy houses everywhere, I bet UK rentals have some horror stories as well and I guess most expats have never lived in one untill moving here. No heating /insulation regs in the 70's in Uk either.

Windows are poor, yes, but cheap, you can't have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Live in a decent house and you won't have a problem, rentals won't be decent as there done for minimal outlay, the same the world over. Build your own house and say it's crap, you're the one to blame.

Title
      Liked
      160 times
      Rep
      5 Good things:

Carlton Draft and the one nobody else seems to like West End
      Beach
      Hills
      Carlton Draft/West End/Ted's etc etc
      People in general
      life in general
      Birds
      Animals
      Long Summers
      Short winters although this last one seems to have gone on a bit
      Whoops going on a bit, sorry.

5 Bad things:

3 Grandchildren in Norway not OZ
      Beer more Expensive
      Family far away although sometimes not a bad thing!
      I earn much less (but I love my job, sometimes)
      Beer more Expensive

If I can think of anything more sensible I'll be back

Martin

Title
      Liked
      107 times
      Rep
      5 good points:

1. The Adelaide Hills - love love love the hills
      2. Impromtu BBQ's and get togethers which happen all the time
      3. My kids are riding bikes, climbing trees and climbing mountains (all never happend in uk)
      4. Everyone is much friendlier and dont look at you like youve got 2 heads if you try and strike up a conversation
      5. Most weekends we can get out and actually do stuff and see stuff and not be stuck inside

5 Bad points:

1. In my experience the educaion standards in public schools are not good
      2. Bloody mozzies
      3. The price of food
      4. The price of cars
      5. The crappe TV

Title
      Liked
      269 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by shella_n View Post
      5 good points:

1. The Adelaide Hills - love love love the hills
      2. Impromtu BBQ's and get togethers which happen all the time
      3. My kids are riding bikes, climbing trees and climbing mountains (all never happend in uk)
      4. Everyone is much friendlier and dont look at you like youve got 2 heads if you try and strike up a conversation
      5. Most weekends we can get out and actually do stuff and see stuff and not be stuck inside

5 Bad points:

1. In my experience the educaion standards in public schools are not good
      2. Bloody mozzies
      3. The price of food
      4. The price of cars
      5. The crappe TV
      Do you mind me asking why your kids never rode bikes,climbed tree's and mountains in the UK?I have aussie kids(we all now live in the UK)and we've always done those activities in both countries?????Now my grandkids are doing the same,yes in the UK!

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast